Russia is so huge!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Russia is so huge!

So I'm playing russia for my first time and am about 10 days in, starting to make a strong push into other nations and holy sh*t Russia is absolutely massive. I takes days to move things if you don't have air bases. I'd have to say that due to sheer size alone, if you start with Russia you have a huge chance at winning, and have a huge ability to hold off invasion.
    • Yeah. I ended up with Russia for my first game. Fortunately there are only two other non-AI players left ... so its a sandbox ... I'm learning lots. AI went bonkers for a while and it was a challenge to protect the entire border (which by then included Poland and Baltic states) A big investment in motor infantry battalions was needed. It would be impossible to play alone against 25 real players without making some strong alliances. Its vulnerable to incursions from China, Sweden, Germany, Turkey, and Iran.
    • I once played as Russia. Conquered most of Europe and China.
      I got no real allies until late game and my ally was... not really doing anything at all if you ask my opinion.

Until US of A come and beat me senseless. Luckily (for me) the game ended because I believe he reached the required VP to won XD
      And that US is replying in this thread as well. Heheh, GG on that game man :D
    • I played as Russia. It's big but strategic airlifting makes it so much smaller. But the developers could have made it alot bigger. Kalinngrad is a part of Lithunia in the game. But is actually part of Russia (It's one of their most developed cities and a strategic Naval Port) and then their's Crimea which Russia Annexed in 2014. So Russia could of had two extra cities in it's European West. The East is exposed to Japan and China. The West is exposed to Poland, Turkey and Sweden. The best way to play is ally yourself with either Japan or China to play them off against one another instead of you. Get UK, Italy, Turkey or Germany on your side to cover your Western flank. Take out Kazakhstan, Finland, Belarus and Ukraine. The slowly cover your Western flank be eliminating your threats (Expand along the Black sea through Romania and into the Baltic's). Sweden is easier to take out since taking Sweden and Norway leaves you less exposed to other players. If you take out Poland you would be running into Germany and Italy soon or later. If you took out Turkey you be running into Saudi, Iran and Egypt likewise.

In order to play you need to Minimize your border threats whilst you increase your territory size. Eventually the resources you acquire and Strategic depth you get as a result of your size allow you to take on multiple enemies at once.

If you want to fight with China the best way to do it is attack from Kazakhstan in China's remote East and use heavy Armour to punch into Beijing. You can also flank their sea cities with naval landings such as Shanghai and Qingdao. This is the Strategy I used to beat China when it attacked me. You will need Strategic airlifting though to mobilize your forces quickly. Like I said earlier getting an ally to help out is also important (Japan or Vietnam). Europe and the Middle East is Crowded. China is big like you. Work your way through buffer stats and isolated player countries like Sweden to strengthen your position. Tanks, CRVs Mechanized Infantry and Motor Rifleman are very useful. Airborne is also good at taking small states like the Baltic's. Corvettes are very useful against Sweden since most of their Cities can be bombarded from the sea from warships.
    • I just invaded Russia several days ago playing in a game as Iran. I was allied with Turkey and used his territory in Georgia to amass my army into 2 spearheads and a bulk unit with Cruise Missile Launchers. I also secured scouted the Baltic sea beforehand and finding no Russian naval vessels stations some available launch platforms there as well. Launching my attack I send a fast attack blitz unit straight for Moscow by the shortest land route while Mechanized Infantry units secured flanking positions to prevent counter-attack from Yekaterinburg while max rank Air Superiority Fighters flew overhead of them to protect the vulnerable flank units and destroy any reinforcements trying to be strategically airlifted to Moscow. During the attack I found a 5 stack and 2 stack of Russian ground forces without any AA cover so used CM's to obliterate them with all seven launch platforms available. Long story short I found no Russian units protecting the capitol and captured it without a fight. In the process I took 2,000 in casualties from some small air raids and caused 18,000 casualties from my Cruise Missile attacks and one or two infantry units strategically airlifting through my fighter screen. I've consolidated my gains using the motorized infantry train that walked behind the attack forces and taken St. Petersburg as well (again, undefended). I'm not sure where the bulk of Russian forces may be. They may be in Sweden still. Or they may have been obliterated somewhere to the east. As I launched my attack I had convinced Japan and China to launch simultaneous ones of their own the east.