Radar

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Actually, Mobile Radars are useless. Mainly because any fighting unit can do the job, more or less. And, obviously, no one build them (you can choose only 4 or 5 technologies during a game, so we need to choose them carefully).
      I suggest to give them the ability to reveal enemy units : type, number, movment etc.
      And maybe the same with AWACS.

You can't just nerf unit after unit. Sometimes, some of them must be enhanced too.
      Frexit
    • I actually build those radar units actively^^

In 1 game, I was greece and focused on building a huge navy. The units and techs I went for were:

Corvettes, Frigattes, Destroyers, Cruisers, Marines, AWACs, Cruise missiles.

And AWACs were very useful! I was able to locate enemy ships much much earlier and thus hunt them down. They also acted like a permanent early warning for invadors over the sea. For example when South americans sent ground troops via the atlantic to attack our Africa by surprise, we knew it many many hours before and thus could prepare ourselves.
      Here is a screenshot of my early warning system:

Every big circle you can see in the atlantic and indian ocean is a max level flying AWAC. Compared to the ships you can also see, the radius of AWACs is tremendous! Any incoming American will be spotted early and I can send nearby ships to intercept them.

AWACs also have a surprising low maintenance cost. Making coastline defenses of AWACs+Corvettes cheaper than Corvettes only.

In case you are wondering, this is my army build:

AWACs helped me to use my ships efficently. My ships didn't need to spend days in the ocean looking for any enemies, my AWACs did that, in a much shorter time. If anything was spotted, I would send my ships.

The most "serious" but managable problem with AWACs are their low hitpoints. So big, yet so squishy. Even at max Level only 20HP. Once you fly the AWAC into enemy AA the AWAC is severly damaged and destroyed after it flies into AA a second time. Which is kinda unfortunate. Having the AWAC heal means 1 AWAC is out of combat for several days, not that great either^^.

If it should get a buff, I would love the AWAC to have more hitpoints and or more sight range. Not Radar range, actual sight range^^

I can't say so much about mobile Radars since I wasn't the one using them.
    • I've tried to use mobile radars but he's right - they seem to be useless. Looks like they can avoid special forces intrusion, but too late - they get reveal stealth skill at 25 day. Even can't test this one, coz rarely someone use Special Forces.

To be constructive:

- Military base lv3 is to heavy (maybe 2), so low costs and availability can compete with flexibility and dynamics of AWACS.
      - Special forces are stealth from the beginning, maybe mobile radar should detect ground stealth from the beginning, which can cause mobile radar will be a main defense against Special Forces. Yeah, there are drones, but with their range they are practically used to penetrate hostile territory i guess.
      - Maybe homeland and occupied territory should also be covered by fog of war. People will produce mobile radars immediately. :D
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 6 times, last by Efreet: grammar, readability, more precision ().

• I look at it like this: All the units have a use, and they also can be useless. I incorporate one of these units in my invading task forces, so that I can target defenders with missiles. For me, they're great. I put them on islands to cover sea lanes, and I put them on borders to watch my neighbors. At first, they are short range, but they are easy to develop and really come in handy.
    • "All the units have a use, and they also can be useless."
      If that is true - devs won't keep balancing. So you talking about some perfect state. But if I'm not wrong, CoN was about firing missiles blind to everything in the last year and I'm sure we could find someone who tell us that it was ok. Actually drones update was great for example - simple changes creates a great unit. I see the boost to Naval Patrol Aircraft which stats was looking few days ago like implemented many years ago and forgotten until now. So, that's the right direction I guess. Same should happen with Mobile Radar, Amphibious Combat Vehicle mostly in my humble opinion.

"I put them on islands to cover sea lanes(...)"
      I agree with other arguments and I also understand that someone didn't discover AWACS, and fatigues to move Mobile Radar on some island. Well, I also like "toying" at about 40-th day. :P

@Germanico
      Well, looks like radar won't help you with that until day 25, specially in the middle of the night (i guess).
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 1 time, last by Efreet: grammar ().