Advice Sought for Games

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Advice Sought for Games

So, I've been playing CON for months, and I understand all of the game mechanisms and stuff, but I just can't be good at CON. My highest VPs in a game was a very pitiful 800, and I'm struggling to invade player nations. Thus, I need general assistance in these games:
      1. Deathmatch Mexico
      Situation: I already invaded most of the US, and Canada took the rest. The issue is that I only have 11 units. And, I can only mobilize about 1 unit a day because the manpower is super low in DM games. Need assistance.

2. 1x Mozambique
      Situation: Similar to Mexico, I rule Zambia, Madagascar, Angola, and Namibia. The AI South Africa declared war on me, and I only have a couple units. I can't mobilize due to extremely low resource amounts (I don't know why).

3. 4x USA
      Situation: 55 units, just invaded Mexico, but I'm low on resources and can't research or mobilize. I can't really build local industries either.

Thanks all.
      I can speak like Crang ! I am speaking like Crang right now ! Can anybody else speak like Crang !
    • Possible tactic - snatch up as many empty lands as possible to cripple the enemy cash production - no cash, no troops - easily done with 1 mobile recon and 1 infantry unit. This also affects manpower, same concept. :D

In DM, I joined late day 1 and already had troops from 2 countries crossing my borders. 1 mailed me and wanted to go after the other jointly, but ended up coming back after me. The other country seemed like it threw all the starting units at me, which eventually I defeated. When that 1st country came back at me in larger force, I did manage to defeat him due to an anti-tank unit that took down the majority of his armor infantry units. I am now rolling through the 2nd country while building up resources and troops to deal with the 1st country properly.

Give this a shot and see if that helps.
    • If you are low on manpower: build some recruitment centers, they give you flat increase in manpower per day and solve such issues easily. Also don't only got for infantry units, they need a lot of man power.

For resources: From the start build local indurstries level 1 in all provinces that are not cities but still offer resource production. They will double your resource production there. But don't build level 2 or 3 early in the game, they are to expensive for their gain. Building like arms indurstry, harbor or air base do not only required for building certain units, they also boost your resource income a bit.

Don't try to be building in all cities every day, but you should always have some in production. Try to research units, that do not need all need the same resources. Every unit type has certain characteristics. If all units need the same, you will run dry on those resources but will drown in others.
    • Hello ! I looked a bit on your game? and i think your problem comes mainly from what you do with the game. You do not play "that bad" for what i see, but most of your moves and decisions lack a sense of "anticipation" and "moderation". I'll explain what i mean with each country you play :

Mozambique (day 17) : Your homeland cities have at max a lvl 1 arms industry, which make your output quite low for your growing needs. I do not recommand to RUSH high level of arms industry in every city... but, as you lack rare materials for your research, focusing an high level arm industry on your rare material city, would make you producte 100/hour instead of 60/h, which is "something").

You also make airbases pretty much everywhere, while you do not have an airforce. You have a huge delta between what you spend, and what you use. Another example ? You researched National Guard, and you didn't produced any. You researched Marine Infantry, and you have no real use for it (and didn't produced any). You researched airborne, and didnt produce any. Take the time, on this strategy game, to think that as time is a precious asset, everything you research must be useful. And by useful, i do not say "may be useful", i'm more saying "produced within 24 hours and used within 48 hours". If you say to yourself "Nah, i won't use it", then forget it, and use your rare materials into something that will really improve your army.

Things like anti-air, helicopters, airplanes, etc.

Your problem with your "tech strat" is that as you make so much different techs that you won't use day 17, and that in addition you researched conventional missiles + ballistic missiles which are the most expensive branch of the tech tree, you are indeed quite cornered, and limited in tactical options. I'll advise you to look a bit longer to troops stats and play a bit on a word with what unit cost what, and what they are used for. Try to think units in synergies, as two units cooperating will often be much more worth their cost

Mech infantry + Ballistic missile launcher is not... a good synergy.

Actually, as you are producing mainly mech infantry (to not say 90% of your production is that), mech infantry in early is not that good compared to regular infantry, and it has none of the very useful defensive bonus the motorised infantry provide. Yes, mech infantry is good in open field, but as you use them to rush cities to expand, their potential is wasted (they are not a city rusher. They are an open field fighter)

Ultimately, as i see your assault on South Africa, i will say this : small groups and long pathes may generate a quicker assault and a bigger momentum, BUT it also tend to generate more losses, something you want to avoid against AI, at all costs, because against humans, you can't do as you see fit.

AI is conveniently destroyed by gunships and artillery, so don't be fearful to use them. Even towed artillery, in early, can clean cities and allow you to advance without losses, and allow you to keep your infantry for your defense.

USA (Day 20) :

On this map, you do have rare materials. Use them ^^. You have a big economical problm about resources you are using. You lack supplies and you are drowning in components and electronics. This is a symptom of "not producing different units". In my game, there is always a modest part of my army that isn't the "most efficient tool" i would like to have, but a tool that is efficient economically speaking. For example, i always find i have too much mobile anti-air, but damn... the mobile anti-air is great to produce when you lack electronics or supplies, and it still helps with a prominent role → anti-helicopter / missile point defense.

Same remark about your use of mech infantries. They are not that good for what you use them for ( look at the stats. One lvl 1 mech infantry in attack of city has 22 HP and 2,25 damage rating. A motorised inf in defense has ~5 damage rating, 15 HP. It WILL lose in a 1-1 fight). If your play style is about "human waves", then use motorised infantries... and build more recruitement centers. In all your games, you do not use your electronics, and sometimes not your components, and you struggle. On this game with USA, you could have litteraly 2 squadrons of strike fighters to support your infantry, and of course, war would be much easier.

The irony of your "ultra agressive play style" is that, as you are careless with casualties, and careless when sending to the front line any new mech infantry... you end with much less "firepower" than someone that would stop a bit to "breathe", and organise stronger localised attacks with support.

This problem is shown within your stats, where you lose so much more infantry than your opponents : without support, your infantry are like the French tanks in 1940 → If bombers approach, you can just pray they will not kill you. And they will kill you.

Instead, you still researched conventional missiles, while you have no other platform than the ground launcher. Bad synergy again ! Especially considering Missiles are EXPENSIVE in early (the warheads cost rare materials lol !), and they are not that powerful, especially if not air-launched.

Mexico (Day 6) :

Here, you have 9 units left, and you are still ON THE OFFENSE. Calm down a bit. Prioritise your survival instead of "making the ennemy bleed a little more". In the actual state of operations, you couldn't defend yourself against a lone infantry rampaging your country in forced march.

You have the same economical problems than in your other games : produce varied unis, use them in synergy. The spam of one or two units has the merit of simplicity, but also, it's very predictable, and if you fall on your hard counter, then, bye bye.

Hope this will help you understand how to improve your style !
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Holy Shit Sarwesh. Buy this man a beer. For what he gave you in time and dedicated advice he can abuse your sister too.

After you have read each strategy then stop. Read it again. Then log into each game and study why he offered the advice he gave.

He brings up the same points we talked about in our last challenge. Simplifying your tech tree, stacking units, supporting front line troops with Artillery. Seriously this advice is gold.

Opulon. On a side note (and thanks for the advice), it sure would be nice if a person could look into games or even see a replay for training purposes. Anyways thanks again.

daloganator
    • I just want to say overall even though this is considered a war game. It is also a resource management. That is just as important in the long haul. Also diplomacy is important. I can not go look at your specific games like @Opulon can. But sounds like your resource manangement needs work. Keep in mind these games go typically over 30 days and in some cases over 100 days. You can start off strong and be #1 after day 10 then find yourself in trouble day 20. If you are steady and consistent it makes those mid to late game parts much easier. Think of it as a marathon not a sprint. I mean unit builds, stack make up is important in term of fighthing enemies but controlling yor resources (as well as hurting resources of your enemies) is just as important when it comes to winning games. Just my 2 cents
    • huu, sorry, didn't had the time to go on the forum recently, hence the late answer.

"I don't know if you are abusing your priveliges, Opulon, by logging into my games, but thanks anyways" ---> We are of course forbidden from accessing games where we have interests (aka, games we are playing), and this is monitored. In your case, while it's an unusual use of moderation tools, if i can use them harmlessly to improve my assistance and help to the community (and that includes, to the limits of what i can give as a volunteer), i do it. I may do mistake, but usually, the innocent and benevolent intent behind make it acceptable :p.

Btw, Yak liked my post, so i have the Emperor's Blessing

"He brings up the same points we talked about in our last challenge. Simplifying your tech tree, stacking units, supporting front line troops with Artillery. Seriously this advice is gold."

I run an alliance myself, en Education is, in the charts of "how much time we invest" the #1 ministry. Time dedicated for training people is really something high, and it's hard for an alliance to invest so much efforts ---> when an alliance does that, you know it genuinely wants you to be a better player and to live happy amongst their ranks. Show your devotion by listening carefully, and make their investment worth the talent they see in you.

"Daddy knows a bout about life".

"Opulon. On a side note (and thanks for the advice), it sure would be nice if a person could look into games or even see a replay for training purposes. Anyways thanks again." ---> Indeed, but hard, and not doable i think. I basically looked the games through his eyes. But you can have a workaround. Look at Teamviewer. It allows IT support to take control over another computer (with limits of course :D). So... if you ask your rookie to log in his games, and you launch Teamviewer session as well as a vocal chat, you may very well do the same "analysis and advise" session

"I just want to say overall even though this is considered a war game. It is also a resource management. That is just as important in the long haul". Yes. It's a wargame because ultimately all end in war, but you're very right.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.