Transport by Air vs Transport by Sea

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Transport by Air vs Transport by Sea

Hello, I don't know if this has been said, but..

I have some units that I want to transport across water to other land. Specifically, I want to send forces from Asia to Alaska.
      These units can be airlifted to an airport, but when I click move to a province in Alaska with an airfield on it, it automatically paths to it by ocean. I assume the cause of this is because it would be faster to move by sea that by air in that case.

However, I don't want to move the units by sea, as there are enemy submarines and other vessels that can destroy the troop transports, so I want to move it by airlift.

Is there an option to only move it by airlift? And if not is an option being considered? At the moment they are being sent on a very wonky path made up of a bunch of waypoints, and would take several days longer than it would by direct airlift.

Thanks
    • Hey, airlift is always faster than transporting by sea.

Please check that ALL units you selected have the airlift "skill". Try moving each unit type 1 by 1.
      Also, check that both airfields are operational. And that both airfields are in range. You can't transport from South India to Alaska^^.

If thats done, move your Troops to the closest airport. Then click "add destination" and click on the airfield in alaska. Your troop now should be airlifted.
    • Keep in mind there is a limited range. Now that range is far. For example to use in terms that is easy (if you are in the United States) you can airlift New York to LA. Which is a long distance. But I am not sure of the range but it is limited.Not sure where to look that up but I know I have read it somewhere. Plus as @Mc_Johnsen said check to make sure all the units can airlift. Not all ground units can be airlifted. If you look at the unit description it has to have this airplane symbol in order to be airlifted
      Files
      • airlift.jpg

(266.64 kB, downloaded 1 times, last: )
    • Mc_Johnsen wrote:

Hey, airlift is always faster than transporting by sea.

Please check that ALL units you selected have the airlift "skill". Try moving each unit type 1 by 1.
      Also, check that both airfields are operational. And that both airfields are in range. You can't transport from South India to Alaska^^.

If thats done, move your Troops to the closest airport. Then click "add destination" and click on the airfield in alaska. Your troop now should be airlifted.

Thanks for the reply, I’m not quite sure airbase range is the main issue here. My friend was also having the same problem, he let me onto his account (not cheating) so I could see for myself.

In this case it is special forces. They can be airlifted by default. What happens is that they get pathed to a coastal city by an airlift, and then subsequently get pathed to Alaska by naval transport. Both airbases in Alaska and Asia are both fully functional.
      Regular infantry are pathed by a direct airlift from an airport in Asia to an airport in Alaska, so I’m thinking it may also be the special forces’ differing movement stats?

In this case they are airlifted to Vladivostok and are sent by naval transport automatically. One solution I’ve found is to send them all the way through Siberia by land, taking several days, unless Russia builds some more airbases in fareast Russia for me.

Using waypoints, I’ve tried sending them to airbases farther away, and then towards Alaska, but many times they still try to go through Vladivostok and by naval transport. Ive found another solution, but it includes going as far west as Europe, then waypointing from there.