Slowing down the tech rush

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Slowing down the tech rush

I would like to see a map or event with a better chance to use more specialty units. It seems to me that the most effective strategy in most games is to pick a few units, concentrate on researching them to max level, then build unstoppable doomstacks to crush lesser opponents. That seems to be fine for a lot of players, but to me it takes a lot of the strategy away from the game.

I like to experiment with a lot of the specialty units, but if I spend time researching those units, there's likely another player out there building a full stack of maxed out units that will crush my more broadly researched but lower leveled military.

My proposal is make each level of research progressively much more expensive than the last. I think this would encourage players to invest in some of the lesser used units and force different strategies than the max level doomstacks I see players using over and over.
    • Well, hell.

Just when I thought I had an original idea, Germanico comes along and tells me it's old news.

Mc_Johnsen, I'm certainly not asking to change every game. I'm sure that I am in the minority for asking to slow down research instead of speeding it up.

I have played with good teammates in a few games with good cooperation and unit specialization. That does make for a fun game.

I just thought it might make for an interesting change of pace to have a game that included some of the units that rarely get researched.