Fire control settings

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Kalrakh wrote:

OriginalSwift wrote:

+1 for this feature.

I think it would be very useful for me to have a "fire at will" setting as well as "aggressive".

Both have their use cases indeed.

I'm currently playing a game where I'm considering how to defend large swathes of waters whilst I'm offline.

How realistic do we want this warfare to be? Because you can consider in the real world, if a few tanks rolled up towards your coast line past one of your littoral defense vessels, they arent just going to wave them past, maybe throw them the front door keys whilst you're at it. No. They'd radio, get permission, then blast 'em out of the water.

I think what would be perfect, is that naval ships specifically, whilst placed on strategic water movement points, who are set to aggressive fire mode, would engage in "fighting" the enemy. Not bombarding them once in sight. Thus solving issues around units moving freely without causing wars, yet still enabling them to stop sneak attacks whilst players can't respond to the game.

I think this is way more realistic and probably easier to implement from a technical point of view.
      Not sure, what you are talking about. Ships and Artillery fire at hostiles, if they see them as radar dots, not only if they see them physically. The combat AI can even do what the player can't: differentiating between neutral and hostile radar dots
      The sneaking past your defenses happens, while there is no war declared yet.

Normal stance is also 'Fire at will' stance, the only difference of 'aggressive stance' is, that 'aggressive stance' can pause the movement of a unit to commence attacking.
      I will happily explain it again for you as it seems the concept has not made sense to you as it has others.

Heres the scenario:
      I'm playing as New Zealand. So far the team invaded all across Europe, Asia and now there's only Africa and South America.

I want to blockade the entire ocean between me and Brazil, or me and Africa. This means I would also be able to protect my allies from invasion.

Theres two main concepts to my idea, as follows;
      1) A user should be able to place a naval unit anywhere at sea and have it engage either neutral or hostile targets that it comes into direct contact with (e.g. their location markers come within a certain distance, so basically if they try and travel past your naval units). This is different to an "aggressive" stance. The point is my ship won't be moving, it will be stationary on a strategic point to protect my waters.
      2) I want to 1 corvette at each port, so that in the event some ground units try to travel past my corvette, it would begin fighting that unit (not bombarding).

Someone also suggested a "territorial water zone" which isn't far from reality, and I think this would make the game less fun, because it would not be an additive change, e.g. add a new feature or build out an existing one.

However, what I have suggested in points 1 and 2, these are also realistic mechanics for reasons I mentioned in my previous comment. It would also make the game more fun, because its not fun to wake up and see you got invaded when you had a corvette on every port.

It would also solve the bug in the game where a player can immediately after beginning a disembarkation move, issue a second move, towards the same location, and then instantly the units are free to have anti-air capabilities. Which seems extremely unrealistic.

So let's say that this was implemented by the developers. What does the game change look like?
      1) to invade an experienced player who uses the new mechanic well, you will likely need to defeat some of his navy so that your ground units can access the beaches, regardless of your diplomatic status.
      2) there becomes soft ownership of the seas and waterways because a user could blockade every single tile which leads to a particular area on the map, therefore claiming "ownership" of them.
    • A1) Many already suggested it, but not sure if devs even consider a implementation as they do not want the game to much of 'playing itself', the same reason why you can't queue research. How ever you can just declare war in advance and the danger is kind of solved.
      A2) That should already work, because they declare war as soon they try to disembark. But this will only help against bad players anyway.

1) It would not matter at all to an experienced player, he will kill your fleet anyway and maybe not even get a scratch. He will just harrass down your fleet by ticking. If you are not online, your ships are just dead in the water. And trying to invade a coast without gaining naval superiority first, would be not very smart from the start.
      2) The sea is neutral on purpose, would be my assumption and technical issues might be also a problem, which is why there a no possible 'naval buildings'?
    • While we have shallow and deep water, we need national and international waters as described here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_waters You can see on the map from that link that they have "economic zones", if the dev's incorporated that, they could make them as "Fuel" national/international sea provinces (since level 3 corvettes consume as much fuel daily as a level 1 cruiser). Would take the naval part of the game to the next level.
      "For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" -
    • MallahanJr wrote:

While we have shallow and deep water, we need national and international waters as described here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_waters You can see on the map from that link that they have "economic zones", if the dev's incorporated that, they could make them as "Fuel" national/international sea provinces (since level 3 corvettes consume as much fuel daily as a level 1 cruiser). Would take the naval part of the game to the next level.
      whilst I love this idea, I'm a software developer, with knowledge about maps, like game maps such as this (I created something similar as a prototype hobby project), the complexity of deciding national waters in somewhere like Suez, or Strait of Gibraltar could be quite troublesome.

Having said this, it would also cause huge ramifications if the devs implemented my idea aswell because, if you sat in suez you could potentially spark 20 wars in a day at the right game time frame (early mid late)
    • Like suez or panama it would just stay international. Code for national water would be like national land, you cross the border and you cause war. It would be capturable like land, it would open the possibility of having more offshore oil to capture. You could only build local industry in them.
      "For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" -
    • Germanico wrote:

What you are asking for is a "shoot at everything moving" command. Let me ponder it for a bit...

I would totally use such a feature in some cases.

For example playing as USA, when I own Canada and Cuba and no other ship have any reason to swim near my coast if it does not have aggresive plans (or recon before aggression).

Or when I play as Sweden, own Norway and the rest of Baltic sea are guys from coalition. Then I put stronger fleets near Denmark on this "shoot everyting mode" as noone have reason to swim there with ships and such defence needs less of ships and give more protection than just putting some ships next to each port in Baltic Sea.

It's practical often and similar to real life as when You fly into airspace of a country or swim into it's own waters... you might be shot.

It's even more important in x4 games.

It will help more life-game balance, when You could set up better defence agains naval invasion, not need to check the game all the time to be sure noone put invasion troops around your ships.

It would make navy stronger and it's good for the game I guess.

Awesome if the ships could not only attack navy in this mode but also planes, so we could put frigates on that mode to make surprise attack from air, harder. Making airforce bit weaker would be good for the game balance, I believe, especially that its totally realistic.