Shared Intelligence

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Inelegant english from my behalf. This was a pleasantry about how i would not care for some insults, in the middle of very well done feedback ^^. But no, no insults don't worry. This topic was an interesting read, that gives many "fresh insights" about the perception of the game.

I echo your problem about "trustful" allies in the way that i have my alliance, which is composed of people we teach ourselves about the sword, and that are "reliable" (at least, as much as we train them), but in public games, it's rare, to not say "never happens", that i sign an alliance with someone else before the day 25-30.

Traitors are easier to handle than coward shield brothers. After some time, it's just a mindset : you rely on your individual skill to survive and expand, instead of relying on others (and there is the thrill of the 1 vs 5 ! How glorious when they attack you because they only can see the game in "numbers", and end in a pool of their own blood), only to do diplomacy in the mid-game, with players that are more brave.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon,

Your English is much better than my French. I understood what you were saying, but wanted to make sure I had not insulted you.

I'm glad you find the thread interesting. When I began, I was merely seeking an answer to a specific question. It has since become an educational experience for me.

I feel like a barbarian on his first trip to Rome. I've always heard Romans are evil people and should be avoided at all costs I'm the curious type, however, and decided to make the trip anyway. When I got here, my own prejudices lead me to view the actions of others as proof that Romans are indeed evil. I was constantly uncomfortable and thought everyone was against me.

After wandering around a while and meeting a few nice citizens, I've come to realize that Romans aren't evil, just different. Looking back, I can see that some of the things I've done and said must have offended some people. For sure, there are people in my wake who are just as baffled by my actions as I was by theirs.

Of course there are always a few bad apples in any society. Rome, being much more populated than the small towns I've lived in before, has more than I am used to.

I'm hoping to continue this conversation with you and others. Maybe my "fresh insights" will be of use to the developers or the community.

CON is a really good game. The mechanics of the game, while not perfect, are close enough to what I'm looking for to keep me interested. Maybe this discussion will draw out others who are seeking the same type of experience I am. I plan to propose a new type of match in the suggestions section to see if there are others like me.
    • Can I offer a possible enhancement to shared intelligence?

Here is a Problem :

1. shared intelligence is offered.
      2. player accepts observes your map
      3. immediately cancels his side of a bargain
      4. when you log back in, you have not been able to take advantage of shared intelligence.
      5. this is a major disadvantage and gives a total advantage of one player over the other.

1. ROW is offered
      2. Players accept
      3. Units are moved through your lands.
      4. One of the players goes immediately to WAR once the units within capital city.
      5. Yes you should not give ROW to just anyone, but a treaty like that should allow for delayed reaction.

Solution:

If any diplomatic trade is accepted, and subsequently any player that is part of the trade changes the level of diplomacy, the trade immediately goes to the state prior to current trade acceptance after the cool down period. Lets say 12hrs, or 24 hrs.
      This would allow a player to fortify. And to also get the benefit of Shared Intelligence, should one of the players cancel.

Example:
      1. PlayerA and PlayerB ar at default peace.
      2. PlayerA offers Shared Intelligence to PlayerB
      3. PlayerB accepts - now both players have shared intelligence.
      4. PlayerB changes his shared intelligence status back to 'Peace'
      5. Game alerts PlayerA, and sets the diplomatic change on a timer (24hrs)
      6. At the end of timer, both players revert to Peace diplomatic status.

Perhaps players could even set the cool down timer if the treaty is taken back by another player.

Or have a conditional diplomatic trade where a diplomatic trade expires on its own after some time.
      If it looks stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If it looks stupid, it works, and it is also dangerous as hell, it is Russian.

• Just my opinion and only mine.
      Life is tough. Life is war and peace, love and hate, treachery and sometimes betrayal . I think that is only natural . I really think the developers at Dorado have done a great job with CON . The game in that aspect is a true reflection of how life is , people will be people and their game style will reflect that. Some people are communicators and some are not and some just really prefer to do their own thing and sometimes other people get messed up. You just have to be careful how you play and who you share with and play the game your own way. Happy gaming .....Bob
      "Retreat hell! We're not retreating ..we're just advancing in a different direction." General Oliver Smith USMC
    • bobqz wrote:

Just my opinion and only mine.
      Life is tough. Life is war and peace, love and hate, treachery and sometimes betrayal . I think that is only natural . I really think the developers at Dorado have done a great job with CON . The game in that aspect is a true reflection of how life is , people will be people and their game style will reflect that. Some people are communicators and some are not and some just really prefer to do their own thing and sometimes other people get messed up. You just have to be careful how you play and who you share with and play the game your own way. Happy gaming .....Bob
      < ... sneaks up and backstabs Bob's opinion >
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • I don't back stab either but we all know it goes on. I don't kick people out of coalitions even when they are inactive because life happens but that goes on too. We just all do the best we can and persevere.
      "Retreat hell! We're not retreating ..we're just advancing in a different direction." General Oliver Smith USMC
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Betrayal is considered part of the game.

Coalition already offer such a timer.
      So if the coalition diplomatic treaty offers a timer, why don't other diplomatic treaties, such as ROW and Shared Intel? I understand the diplomacy and backstabbing is part of the game, and that is what makes this game interesting. But the timer is not something that should replace diplomacy, but to provide a continuity for people that have to sleep, work, and eat.
      If it looks stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If it looks stupid, it works, and it is also dangerous as hell, it is Russian.

• Pafufu wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

Coalitions are like a written contract, other diplomatic options are just like verbal promises.

Also most likely technical limitations.
      Summed it up very well. I never allow right of way or shared intelligence, I think it is silly to give unknown players that much power and intelligence despite knowing they can turn around and backstab you so fast.
      After the first time I was backstabbed in my second game (which by the way, didn't turn out so good for the backstabber because he was so incredibly stupid) I never grant UNQUALIFIED RoW and never have Shared Intel. What I mean by 'Unqualified" - which ports/cities/airports they can use are stipulated in advance, no units can sit in a city, must use RoW only for transport, and any violation met with war.

Using that, last game I was once again the target of an intended backstab, but since he was limited to one base with a level 2 bunker, and I had bombers and SFs circling and a 5 stack frigx3 destr officer, offshore, I wiped him out without losing a unit.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD