Interceptor Aircrafts

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Interceptor Aircrafts

I was thinking and then it came to me: What if we introduced Interceptors to the game?

Now, I know what many of you will say "That's what Air-Superiority Fighters are for", but the role of the 2 is actually quite different. These would be kind of like the tank destroyer equivalent for aircraft in the game. My pitch is that the Interceptors are:
      1. Much faster than the Air-Superiority fighters (around 1.5x-2x the speed)
      2. They have a wide-range radar on the ground that detects only air contacts within its range.
      3. When ever and unknown aircraft contact flies above, or near, your airspace or within it's radars range, it takes off automatically and engages the target. If the aircraft is a friendly or from a neutral nation, it will not engage.
      Now there will also be some tradeoffs:
      1. Unlike Air superiority fighters, it cannot patrol, especially over foreign/enemy territory.
      2. It is completely useless against ground targets (even Air-Superiority fighters have some attack capabilities against ground targets)
      3. It cannot detect Stealth.
      The biggest reason I am suggesting this is because whenever I go to bed or work and somebody invades, they cripple my air force (even with air defences, such as AA-guns and SAM systems) and have total air superiority. Another big reason is that I would LOVE to see the MiG-25 Foxbat, MiG-31 Foxhound and Convair F-106 Delta Dagger among many others in the game. Please let me know what you think, I eagerly await your opinion :D
    • Like from me, for interesting unit behavior -" it takes off automatically and engages the target".

If more like this ones designed (tools to program unit movement for "offline period" ) the more desired is to have the Security Council.
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

• Mc_Johnsen wrote:

I don't see much difference to normal AA guns. The purposes and how they work is pretty much the same.

A hostile aircraft is in range? Shoot it down. Over.

Similtarities:

1. Both units are based on ground

2. Hostile aircrafts in range are automatically attacked

3. Their only purpose is to attack flying objects, not ground, nor scout.
      The highest tier of AA-Gun's attack/defense rating against aircraft is 7.0 (Planes) and 9.0 (Fighters). The highest tier of Air-superiority fighters has an effectiveness of 17 against both. One is clearly more effective than the other.
    • Mc_Johnsen wrote:

That's mobile Anti air, SAMs are a bit stronger. With 11 dmg against planes. Have a stack of 10 they shoot down anything first hit in sight :D

So you are asking for a stronger AA? Build multiple SAMs :D

Otherwise build stealth Air Superiority and have them patrol where you think the enemy might attack.
      What about Helicopters? SAMs don't do anything against those. Just have a stack of 10 SAMs, 10 AA Guns and constantly have my air force patrolling? Let me ask you, Why should I have to go to such lengths to protect my airspace when I can easily have one machine that does it all for me? Not to mention all Ground-based air defence system take double the damage when attacked from the air.
    • The Designers probably aren't going to consider my idea, but I've already created a tech tree:

American:
      Tier 1 - F-102 Delta Dagger
      Tier 2 - F-106 Delta Dart
      Tier 3 - F-14B Tomcat

European:
      Tier 1 - English Electric Lightning
      Tier 2 - Avro CF-105 Arrow
      Tier 3 - Panavia Tornado ADV

Russian:
      Tier 1 - Su-15 Flagon
      Tier 2 - MiG-25 Foxbat
      Tier 3 - MiG-31 Foxhound
    • Pygargue56 wrote:

in my opinion, you are over generations too old to be realistic.

as I understand the game, Tier 3 units are modern units globally commissioned after 2000.

thus, the Tornado ADV is for me rather a Tier 2. especially that the Tornado IDS is itself the European strike fighter Tier 2.
      The Gripen was commissioned in 96, among other exceptions.
    • JeremyKJ wrote:

Pygargue56 wrote:

in my opinion, you are over generations too old to be realistic.

as I understand the game, Tier 3 units are modern units globally commissioned after 2000.

thus, the Tornado ADV is for me rather a Tier 2. especially that the Tornado IDS is itself the European strike fighter Tier 2.
      The Gripen was commissioned in 96, among other exceptions.

I know. If we look in terms of carastéristique, it is part of the same generation of fighter jet that the Rafale and Typhoon. And they are more advanced than 4th generation hunters like Mirage 2000 and Tornado as they are globally multirole.

the other selection point is the date of first flight of the initial version:
      Tier 1: before 1975 (initial delivery before 1980)
      Tier 2: 1975-1985 (initial delivery between 1980 and 1990)
      Tier 3: after 1985 (initial delivery after 1990)

and again, with a first flight in 1988 and first deliveries in 1996, the JAS-39 Gripen can no longer be considered a Tier 2. the rather rapid commissioning of the JAS-39 effectively falsifies the calculation.
    • summeriscoming wrote:

@JeremyKJ , I dont think you get the point, if this interceptor was made it would tip the favor twards ground forces, and make AA useless, strike fighter users like me would find it hard to operate due to the sheer size of the area we are talking about.
      ...That's the point. Even then, they're not indestructible. If you have enough fighters, you can destroy the enemy's interceptors. It wouldn't render AA useless at all, for they still can be used as another layer of defence OR used to protect your forces on the go. What I do is have an AA units in my armies so they can fight off enemy aircraft so they won't be picked off from the air