radar blips

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• This is an important one and another most wanted.

But to be more precise:

- 'Blips' should have constant nature out of current radar range,
      - They should disappear if in radar or view range again (and create new one if needed),
      - They should all be flushed out of map periodically (per 12h?),
      - They should be marked in different color (grey, red?),

It reminds me a mechanism of a spy where it shows up enemy units and making a 'mark' of them. So maybe this one don't need to be designed from scratch.

Good luck with pushing forward this concept. :thumbup:
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 2 times, last by Efreet ().

• - 'Blips' should have constant nature out of current radar range,

DOG: radar blips out of radar range really make no sense from any point of view

- They should disappear if in radar or view range again (and create new one if needed),

DOG: blips are update regularly and if said unit comes into visual range it will become a unit icon

- They should all be flushed out of map periodically (per 12h?),

DOG: blips are updated every few minutes - if your game does not update please clear cache and reload - it may well be browser related

- They should be marked in different color (grey, red?),

DOG: they are color coded actually depending on ground air or sea
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • 'DOG: radar blips out of radar range really make no sense from any point of view'

1. No, there is at least one: if there are "historical blips", players no more need to check is AWACS found something 24 /7.

'DOG: blips are update regularly and if said unit comes into visual range it will become a unit icon'

2. This one describes how blips are working now but I mean those 'historical blips' concept. Simply If they are again in a radar range, they disappear if no more actual.

'DOG: blips are updated every few minutes - if your game does not update please clear cache and reload - it may well be browser related'

3. Well, I don't have good news. This one also describes how blips are working now, but again thread is about concept of 'historical blips'. Simply if there is radar history, it should be flushed periodically, to clear map of outdated entries.

'DOG: they are color coded actually depending on ground air or sea'

4. That's why I propose another color, to show that blip is historical.

Well, It was quite funny to answer that. ^^
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

• I think this example is more along the lines of what has been suggested - a history of "blips" that have been detected when a unit has moved out of radar range. History shows the last contact of the "blip" and updates if it re-enters radar range. Otherwise, after what was mentioned as 12 hours, the "blip" gets wiped off the map if it has not re-entered radar or visual range by any of your units.

See example: BlipHistory.pngBlipHistory.png
    • LordEpson wrote:

I think this example is more along the lines of what has been suggested - a history of "blips" that have been detected when a unit has moved out of radar range. History shows the last contact of the "blip" and updates if it re-enters radar range. Otherwise, after what was mentioned as 12 hours, the "blip" gets wiped off the map if it has not re-entered radar or visual range by any of your units.

See example: BlipHistory.pngBlipHistory.png
      exactly what i am meaning.

Kalrakh wrote:

The problem is, the same unit could spam you with tons of history radar blips. Because the radar can't tell you, if a blip is the same unit as a previous blip was?
      Yes but that doenst matter. what matter is that someone is hanging around your coast whilst you where sleeping.

Also i would like to add if you sleep and are attacked by someone and are defeated it would be nice if you also have some history about the stack that attacked you and how much hp it has cus if you are awake you know but when you are asleep all you know is that there is a stack in your territory.
    • There won't be tons of spam, if radar both create and erase 'history blips'. Even assuming that player doesn't care and won't check location again when he return to game after few hours - 'history blips' should be erased periodically (all). Phew... :S
      I surrender (remmeber folks, that I tried to save you all from lots of boring work with reconnaissance). 8o

Thanks for some visuals @LordEpson.
      Display Spoiler

- Marvin Lee Minsky

• What I mentioned was: "History shows the last contact of the "blip" and updates if it re-enters radar range." - This way you don't have like 10 grey blips dotted around the same area if it keeps going in and out of range. If it moves back into radar range, the historical blip is removed and a new one is created when/if it moves out of radar range again.
    • 'There is no such "boring work with reconnaissance" '

So you really like searching Pacific personally 24/7 instead of use history that AWACS could make over night? :S
      Display Spoiler

- Marvin Lee Minsky

• 'dont search all of the pacific^^
      Chances are, my opponents wont do it either '

Maybe because it should be done but is boring. :S

'How would history blimps help AWACs scout over night though? Only what comes in his range (...)'

Because max AWACS radar range is 300. :S
      300 x (5xAWACS) x 8h = well Pacific control

'(...)and yet you wont know how much exactly.'

Of coz it's not exact. If so we won't be talking about historic radar blips (tracks for proper recon). :D
      By the way, if you have two points in time and space, you can calculate direction (and speed 8) ). Just joking.
      Display Spoiler

- Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 2 times, last by Efreet: grammar ().

• 'How would your radar know, it the historical blip and the new blip have the same source?'

But seriously, what for you need to know is blip belongs to same object? There's no need to arbitrate this one to avoid mess, just flush all history blips from map every 12 (or less) hours and 'hot' erase when it touches radar again.

I can understand that this concept could take to much work (that scarry legacy code), or absorb to much server resources, or something else in this direction. But not that this one makes no sense, coz it has one at least (specially for "3 times per day" players, vampires don't understand that pain :P ). 8)
      Display Spoiler

- Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 3 times, last by Efreet: grammar ().

• I can deduct from this thready and complex discussion that there is a need (which I personally share) for a history of contacts. Eg. who crossed my borders where or was sighted when...
      This is important and should be addressed - because in a game like ours with loads of downtime we players do want to understand what is going on while sleeping or, possibly, working ;)

So I heard you and added it to our looooong list of features and tasks to be evaluated and worked on. Sometime soon(tm).

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf