A Few Suggestions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A Few Suggestions

Hello! I have a few suggestions that I think could improve the game. Perhaps they wouldn't fit well, but perhaps you'll like them!

1. The ability to filter cities and provinces in the cities list. I often find myself annexing a handful of cities and then later on having to go through my list from top to bottom trying to find them. Having check boxes for homeland, annexed, and occupied cities to display or not display them would be very helpful! It would also help to have all of the provinces in a list so that I can see which produce resources and which don't, and build local industries without having to scour my map. When you're late game and control entire continents all of this can become rather tedious.

2. Amphibious Assault Ship units. The current aircraft carriers and overall navy units are fantastic, but they lack the same amphibious capabilities that are so important to a modern navy. Currently, the only amphibious units are Naval Infantry, Amphibious Combat Vehicles, and heavily upgraded Special Forces. This is entirely realistic, but Marines only receiving support in the form of combat air power, amphibious combat vehicles, and special forces is not realistic. Like real amphibious assault ships (known as gators) such as the USS Tarawa, USS Nassau, etc. etc. these units would only be able to take VTOL (vertical takeoff and landing) aircraft. Helicopters, harriers, AND most importantly all units that are capable of being transported by helicopter in air assaults such as towed artillery. A modern amphibious assault relies heavily on bringing ground assets in by air, thus why the US Marines adopted the V-22 Osprey and CH-53. In addition, LCAC (Landing Craft Air Cushion) or other ship-to-shore transports could be implemented for heavier vehicles such as tanks. All of this sounds like it could end up being too powerful, but I think if done correctly it would not be. Amphibious assaults are difficult and expensive. Say you had one amphibious assault ship. That amphibious assault ship is able to carry 4 units max. Either all 4 are helicopters/capable of air assault OR 2 helicopters/capable of air assault and a max of 2 transportable by LCAC. In this configuration, at best, one amphibious assault ship (that is only a little bit less expensive than a normal aircraft carrier) is only bringing in for example 1 attack helicopter, 1 towed artillery, 1 SAM, and 1 tank. This is all a very rough idea, and I could be waaaay off in how it should be implemented, but I believe amphibious warfare is an area of the game that has not been explored too much, but it is an extremely unique and important aspect to real world warfare. Hopefully this at least plants the idea and allows the game devs to come up with something probably much better than I can!
    • Hi Grokhtol,

Thanks for your ideas - I fully concur with all of them. We already have UI changes planned for the city list but we first would like to implement an army list (order of battle) before we touch the existing UI.

In regards to the amphibious units and carrier we have wanted them from the start (we even have the models) but are hampered by legacy code requiring a full refactoring before we can intro them. This has been the reason we've not yet got around to it - together with a lack of focus on naval on the current map setup (though we are planning to change this shortly by adding a more naval focused map and some new machanics adding importance to naval power).

These changes will come in step by step and I cannot disclose a timeline for understandable reasons - but we already have planned them in for the months ahead.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • You can still give them close air support with frigates, which will gives those bombers a hard time, if there are enough of those frigates.

Though it is kind of odd, that your close combat troops can't attack enemies while they are disembarking. Perhaps troops should turn into their original state while disembarking, just with limited fighting capabilities. (Those amphibious assault ships could remove the limitations, because they make disembarking easier.)