Game Ethics: Joining, then Immediately Abandoning a game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Game Ethics: Joining, then Immediately Abandoning a game

Hi guys,

This here is a question of game ethics. I am not saying any names, but I notice a lot of players join a game, often times not build a single building, then just abandon it. I know lots of players are brand new, but I see this from players who have played this game for weeks or months (again, not saying any names!).

Is this really ethical? And if not, what should be done about it? Perhaps prevent players from joining a new game for an entire week if this happens enough times to them.

The problem is that these players take up a spot that would otherwise be claimed by a player who is actually going to play the game! It's unfair for the players who want to join a game, but it's full. It also detracts from the quality of games, which ever-so-slightly makes the game a worse experience for everyone partaking in said game.

In chess tournaments, I would compare this to a player who sits down at the board, shakes his opponent's hand, makes one move, then gets up from the board and leaves, never to return. His opponent then needs to wait (usually) 2 full hours before finally claiming a win on time. And if that's not enough, the player who lost then asks the Tournament Director to be let back into the tournament, and then proceeds to do the same thing over and over again!

I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
  • in above case the system will open said slot again - IF the player really doesn't do anything.

This being said your observation is true and I have come across this myself - as you rightfully point out this is less about newbies leaving the game (after all we are f2p and there is no commitment) and more about experienced players not playing.

Why this is I can only speculate - most often they are looking for the right nation (you can leave the game from the nation selection and no harm done btw) - farming for gold can't be it cause you don't get gold for abandoning.

It is a real nuisance and we will tackle it - if need be with hard game join limits, limitations to gold winning (top 3 like it used to be) and further measures such as tough abandoning rules (we raised them upom player request but now they are being abused - typical for MMOs)
    "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • Germanico wrote:

Why this is I can only speculate - most often they are looking for the right nation (you can leave the game from the nation selection and no harm done btw) - farming for gold can't be it cause you don't get gold for abandoning.

It is a real nuisance and we will tackle it - if need be with hard game join limits, limitations to gold winning (top 3 like it used to be) and further measures such as tough abandoning rules (we raised them upom player request but now they are being abused - typical for MMOs)
    "

Interesting what you say about "gold farming". If this were actually possible, then that would make it even more unethical!

I like that every player alive at the end gets a small reward for playing the game the whole way through.

Perhaps here is one way to fix this: The amount of gold you win in the end should be your total VP at the end MINUS the VP you started with on day 1 (no negative gold rewards, however). I guess this way you can reward the inactive players too. If you conquered 1 province, didn't lose any, and held on to it until the very end, you will get 1 gold! ^^ This will also make it more fair for the smaller nations that survive at the end.

Side note: Whenever a new game spawns, the first nation always chosen is RUSSIA! I waited days just to join a game as Russia! Also 90% of the time, Russia is a new player, a private of some rank. I wonder if they only choose Russia because they are gold farming? In that case, my solution will help a lot in this situation as well!
  • A solution for players who join too many games they don't play:

If a player has any game where they haven't performed any meaningful action (such as building a building), and they attempt to join a new game, an alert message can display: "You have a game that you have recently joined that is already running. Please begin playing that game before joining any new ones." Or something like that. Also maybe "If you joined this game in error, please contact our moderators."

For players who have multiple games running (maybe 6 is a good number) and have performed minimal action in all of them (have built less than 3 buildings each in most or all of them, for instance). The message could read: "You have multiple games running that you have barely played. Please play those games to a reasonable extent before joining any new games." And it can be accompanied by a one week ban from joining new games.
  • Why I abandon games:

- someone's too fast grow to power ( I feel magic tricks ),
    - someone's kick my ass at the early beginning (half of homeland territory fall),
    - bad atmosphere between players (if too much emotions in - JUST - a game),
    - no perspective players around (1 per 2 days activity, bad English or none), alone is not so interesting,
    - simply bored,
    - no time for games,
    - joined too many games ( most frequent mistake of newbies ),

I guess It's popular practice coz no penalty for that. I frequently see some sergeants with 100+ games.
    Well, if something would hurt me it's : loosing exp for dropping the game (I level up so slow and degradation hurts badly) and level requirement to join some game.
    Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
    - Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 2 times, last by Efreet: grammar, more content, more precision ().

• Efreet wrote:

Why I abandon games:

- joined too many games ( most frequent mistake of newbies ),
    "
    When I first started playing this game in September 2017, I would join a game, and when I felt that I made a less-than-optimal decision, I would join another game with the idea of improving on my past mistakes. (Later I would come to realize that this game is a marathon and not a sprint, and the only real bad decision that would kill you is one that leads to your capital being captured!)

I never had more than 6 or 7 games running at once (I only had this many running when I was very new) and I always tried to stay active on all of them. When the decision is whether to join a new game or play the ones I have going, I almost always choose the latter. My philosophy is to play until you are either (A) conquered without reasonable chance of coming back or (B) the game is finished or (C) I have to stop playing because I have no time IRL or because the game is negatively affecting my mental and emotional well being! Any other reason to abandon a game for me is hogwash.
  • Sorry to hear that, but if you you don’t find an alliance and do not collaborate with other players in a coalition then an online multiplayer game maybe isn’t the experience you are looking for.

Five players playing together and players helping each other even beyond a coalition is a common occurrence. It is part and parcel of online mmo’s and that is what CON is about.
    "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • A total disincentive to a new player. One cannot do well here if you're not part of a clique. I spent some money here to learn the game that I now regret. You could fix this by displaying right of way agreements, but I doubt that will happen since you all seem to celebrate treachery. Goodbye.
  • Germanico
    I trust you and you always give straight forward answers and advice.......
    In the current CON JUNE CHAMPIONSHIP I feel that illegal gold usage is taking place ......
    Gold was used and addmitted to by Ukraine...... this left a huge army on my border nothing was done about it other than 6 days later the player was removed...... Ukraine said that he left but I feel that is not true. His planes were attacking my coalition partner days later ..... and not close by .... from a long distance ....
    also I had a spy in a city and it showed that Algeria had used gold to reduce the morale in a city but when I reported it I was told no gold was used??????
    Now Algeria is making attacks on any city with low defense as if he can see the map..... like gold intel???? and its coalition partners have a map full of units after fighting many wars .... maybe they are just that good but something just dose not seem right to me.....

after all that ..... is it possible for you guys to see the use of gold in a game and how offten do you think people cheat at no gold games??????

I am sad because I was excited to play against the best and now the top player and top coalition have cheated and in my mind still cheating...... not the championship I was expecting.....
    thanks for your comments......
  • Also, I sometimes join a game where I cannot chose any resealable country I decline to choose one and press cancel. The system then give me a random nation, which I am not interested in, so then I archive the game. Not trying to join games and leave but I really have no time nor interest in playing Countries like South Korea / Austria Etc. That being said I think this is not deliberate but it can really unbalance games for example canada not doing anything So free land for the USA which already has an edge and now have a double edge.
  • @dirtdavies The June Championship is not an official Dorado event, but a community driven one.

dirtdavies wrote:

is it possible for you guys to see the use of gold in a game and how offten do you think people cheat at no gold games??????
    We cannot do so I'm sorry to say. One of the support members is hosting the event and checks for gold usage. If a player is found to spend gold the support member then follows the required protocol in case of these special events and their non official rules.

You are playing against some of the best, so keep that in mind :)

GLHF
    Dorado Games
    Conflict Of Nations

• ross222 wrote:

my biggest problem with people quitting is when your in coalition and they actually do build up and have got 20 tanks then quit and you get invaded and those 20 tanks would have at least slowed them down the only other bone i have pick is rogue nation
    "

I don't see how that is a huge problem. At least they played the game! Sometimes people just need to quit because of their IRL schedule, or because this game is too time consuming. If somebody in your coalition quits without any explanation, try messaging them via the main menu, or on the Discord.

If you are trying to invade an inactive player and you know they have 20 tanks, maybe you shouldn't invade them.
  • what i meant is when im attacked and the coalition member goes inactive at the same time leaving you more vunerable and thats not playing the game , playing the game is continuing until you win or get beat by a better player

they also should let you know there quitting so you can plan to get a new member or restrategize your game plan do you know what its like to get invaded and have your allie sit there and do nothing because he quit

i also have no problem with people quitting i just want them to let me know and i have tried to go to the communit they never respond back which to me means they quit playing conflict nations all together
    • hello
  • A dev has answered your concerns :)

For this reason I am going to close the thread, it's known. In the meantime you are always welcome to join an active alliance. Our discord has a channel dedicated to alliances which will help you match up and get acquainted with dedicated players.
    Dorado Games
    Conflict Of Nations