Submarines

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Russian submarine was destroyed in 1916 .. Collided with the Swedish ferry. :D He was called the "catfish".

But seriously. In the coastal waters, the negative modifier of the submarine is -25%. Were you in the coastal waters? Imagine that there the boat could not dive.

Or transport ships were like .. They have big gun. But I too find the situation quite incredible.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Salvum ().

• They have changed the hitpoints from embarked land units to 20. And submarines level 1 have only 10 hitpoints in coastal seas. May be it is better they change the hitpoints from submarines and corvettes.
      Corvettes from 50% in high seas to 75%
      Submarines from 50% in Coastal seas to 75%
      „Morgen, ihr Luschen!“ --- „Morgen, Chef!“ (Ausbilder Schmidt alias Holger Müller bei der Arbeit)
    • I don't think there were any ASW aircraft. Its a long way from any Turkish controlled cities. I haven't observed Turkey operating any aircraft with ASW capability. Its just my submarine in transit to the Gulf via Sueaz in a chance encounter with a group of transport ships apparently loaded with artillery and anti aircraft units. Most likely my submarine attacked without my specific direction (as there was an AI going nuts and everyone was at war with my Russia) and the ensuing battle resulted in my submarine being sunk. Turkey is not at war with any of the nations bordering the Red Sea ... I have no idea what they were doing milling around there.

The submarines don't do well as stealth units. I attacked Chinese Corvettes in coastal waters (with a cruise missile and a torpedo attack) and then sent the sub into the mid Pacific hoping to lose any tails. Next AM my submarine was reported to have sunk the Corvettes ... they followed it out there.
    • whariwharangi wrote:

I don't think there were any ASW aircraft. Its a long way from any Turkish controlled cities. I haven't observed Turkey operating any aircraft with ASW capability. Its just my submarine in transit to the Gulf via Sueaz in a chance encounter with a group of transport ships apparently loaded with artillery and anti aircraft units. Most likely my submarine attacked without my specific direction (as there was an AI going nuts and everyone was at war with my Russia) and the ensuing battle resulted in my submarine being sunk. Turkey is not at war with any of the nations bordering the Red Sea ... I have no idea what they were doing milling around there.

The submarines don't do well as stealth units. I attacked Chinese Corvettes in coastal waters (with a cruise missile and a torpedo attack) and then sent the sub into the mid Pacific hoping to lose any tails. Next AM my submarine was reported to have sunk the Corvettes ... they followed it out there.
      Naval Patrol aircraft have a pretty decent range same as tier 1 bomber. But if you haven't seen any it's unlikely. Turkey may have it's own submarines in the area. You just wouldn't be able to see them. But is possible it simply got overwhelmed by transport ships in shallow water as previously suggested. Submarines aren't particularly stealthy though as you suggested any unit with sonar can detect them, not the same with Stealth Jets. I guess they are stealthy because they can't be seen or detected by radar. The only warships with sonar are Corvettes, Submarines and Destroyers. I do like Subs though. That nuclear refit allows for a large fleet of submarines without killing your economy. When the AI went crazy in my game the Attack Submarines saved me. I was Iran and was fighting a war against Mexico which had conquered all of North America. My Submarines sunk his invasion fleet and rained cruise missiles on his cities. I later got nukes and knocked him out of the game whilst Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Egypt were all going at me.
    • Tchets wrote:

Currently attack submarines dont cost any upkeep. Before they had a very cheap upkeep

Is it going to stay like this? Would be a bad suprise if they suddenly would cost fuel upkeep.
      Nuclear reactors now power our submarines. They are exceedingly cost effective, and no, there is no reason to worry that we will move from nuclear power anytime soon. Happy hunting!

//Wemedge
    • Submarines are excellent for reconnaissance of coastal areas, since they're stealth units from the start. However, the only way they can attack land-based units is by expending cruise missiles, so their primary use is either reconnaissance or maritime warfare (and it takes 2 maritime powers for them to be particularly useful). They have fewer hit points at the same research level than most naval vessels do, and they are very vulnerable to the right kinds of aircraft (ASW helos and maritime patrol planes). They're quite useful, but only in certain roles, and the limitations on those roles (imho) is what keeps them balanced in the context of CON.
      "The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand."
      Sergeant Zim, Terran Federation
    • Wemedge wrote:

Nuclear reactors now power our submarines. They are exceedingly cost effective, and no, there is no reason to worry that we will move from nuclear power anytime soon. Happy hunting!
      I Like the Nuclear Reactor refit. It makes it easier to maintain a large fleet of them. But maybe have rare material upkeep as well as cash upkeep? I tend to have a surplus of rare materials in the later stages of my games. Other resources such as Components, Electronics and Fuel tend to get scarce which encourages me to build large Attack submarine fleets since they don't use up any resources other than Cash. Also will Ballistic Missile Submarines get a Nuclear Refit? Especially when most Ballistic Missile Submarines are Nuclear Powered in reality and not all Attack Submarines are. Same with Aircraft Carrier any Nuclear refit as the last upgrade for Aircraft Carrier on the Horizon?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lord Aodhan ().

• This game is slowly going to oblivion, why adding upkeep to nuclear attack subs, come on, i got dozen and half subs in one server and now i suddenly have less electronics,

this is not improvement, no matter it doenst have fuel, it still eat resources, i must say that many things are downgrade not upgarde with last patch, you guys need to give us chance to build large armies, and increase the resources collection not downgrade it, i use to have large navy, now i cant build few ships, ridiculous,