WMD's, Tech Upgrades, More. Problems with this game.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WMD's, Tech Upgrades, More. Problems with this game.

Currently, I've payed and won a good portion of games and in doing so, I have noticed some problems with unrealistic events.

Problem 1) Hiding in allied territory makes you immune to some attacks.
      WMD's: Nukes, Chemical Warheads, Conventional Ballistic Missiles.

There's a problem that if you're at war with player A and they hide in player B's territory and I send a missile at them (not a cruise missile), I target the land they are in. This may make me go to war with player B if I am not already. No issue with that. But if I hit the city or province, player A's units are IMMUNE to damage. Planes at an airport? All good. Although if the airport is destroyed they may be boxed if they are grounded. If they are flying over the targeted area, they are still immune.
      This is just unrealistic and dumb and needs to be fixed.

Proposed fix: Any WMD sent to a city or province targets ALL units in it friend, neutral, foe, or even yours. They ARE WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION and they should be reflected as such.
      Additionally, if your troops are hit, allied troops are hit, or neutrals are hit...you take an even worse modifier to your morale.

An additional adjustment I would add is that nukes are not available until later in the game except in specialty games. Thus, for their increased devastating power and use, they have more down sides.

Part 2) WMD's (nukes, gas, BM's and Strategic weapons should be able to be used defensively too. Meaning you can target your own (or coalition members) lands with them. But, as above, if you do, you take an even huger morale hit.

Problem 2) Another issue I see a problem with is that units never change on what infrastructure is needed to build them even if you upgrade their tech. A lvl 1 towed arty unit needs a lvl 1 base and a lvl 1 arms industry. I think that at higher levels in tech, the requirements to build them should raise too. Maybe at lvl 4 tech, an additional level of building is needed, and at max tech, an additional level of buildings is needed.

Basically, add 'steps' on needed infrastructure for higher levels of tech.

This may mean you are incapable of building your units now but if you're moving around with high tech units, you should have the technology AND infrastructure to support it.

This change could be used to later justify increases in stats for high tech level units.

PS: The recent AA changes are really a bad move and are unrealistic. They are too devastating to planes and make it almost impossible for missiles to hit anything with even a basic level of defense IMO.

Thanks.
    • 1°) Seems sensible. I just don't know if possible in the code.

2°) It was the case in the past. Was hated by the community. Got streamlined. What you say is logical, and was tried, but not kept in the gameplay. Infrastructure requirements is a pain in the design since the beginning

About the AA, we have different opinions. 30 minutes ago, we were having a chat on the Discord, with a fellow alliance leader, about how the new update was rendering the AA to nearly total uselessness, due to the fact Sams and TDS don't have defensive AA anymore. It was for my partner to calculate the operational cost of "piercing" the offensive layer to generate a total destruction of the AA system.

In my opinion, so, the offensive round isn't problematic. It can be rebalanced if needed through dealt damages. It's the lack of defensive AA that is problematic, as it renders to 0% efficiency any group with anti-air, as long as you "paid the entry fee" for 10 minutes.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • We have a design change in the drawer waiting for potential execution where we increase the building requirement of units based on their TIER. So essentially every time a unit changes its actual technology (usually 3x in the tree).

This is a hot topic and we are well aware of the potential pitfalls (you eg. could end up with not being able to build a unit after researching until upgrading the required building.)

Concerning the AA : our intention was to increase the AA defenses and we've succeeded to a degree. It's not final (nothing ever is in an online game) and we are taking your feedback and our metrics very seriously to understand where we need to improve. Previously the problem was that it was super easy to overcome a layered defense and simply kill a nation while its player was afk / sleeping / doing stuff RL. This in turn was super frustrating to any experienced player and detrimental to our business. So it had to go.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

• Here is an extended reasoning by Caaaaaake about the new update. The update is definitely an improvement on the anti-air (and let's be honest, anything will be circumvented anyway. Armored Doors do not get security certifications by against what they can resist, but how much time they can resist), but the lack of point defense creates somekind of an "hole" that, ironically, was the one fixed by the Update, in theory.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • i mean no offense but i like it the way it is its hard enough to biuld and fight right now as it is and to be truth full i think perfect where it is because at least now you have a fair chance somewhat against gold players if you did that nobody could win at all anymore and i dont have problems with gold players nor do i want gold banned but even i would quit playing and thought i mention this you even have people quitting 4x games now i was playing on two maps got defeated on one but on both off them 5 quit playing in the first 3 days on both maps and the one im still playin on im up six now who have quit ive never seen this except on 1x speed maps and another guy in my coalition says hes played alot of 4x speed and hes never seen anybody ever quit those
      • hello
    • I understand some of the issues with coding but if you can make WMDs actually target everyone in the area, friend or foe or self, that would be great.

Because one tactic is to slow an enemy in their lands down with a blocking unit, then you have ONE HOUR to nuke that unit to death.
      And your blocking units are IMMUNE to the WMD damage. Totally unrealistic with BM's and ICMB's, It can be argued that cruise weapons are only affecting parts of the battlefield and thus friendly forces are safe.
      Even if allied forces take reduced damage, they should be dealt something.

Another thing, once your in H to H combat, AA does NOT work. At least when I've seen AA protected units fighting someone, all of a sudden they enemy starts slamming the AA unit with cruise missiles that actually hit. AA should always work, even if the unit is being battled.

As to Caaaaake's plan. Has he tried it?
      Because no, I have not seen an AA unit 'triggered' by one unit and then all others slip through after that.
      No, if one unit is hit and damaged / killed, AND the AA unit did not do its full damage, it WILL still do damage to the follow on units.

Case in point from real experience:

7 towed Arty paired with 3 mobile AA. All max tech and 'hopping'.
      Hops in, and the enemy sees them and starts piling on the cruise missiles.
      ALL missiles are destroyed, not just the first. ALL = 5

then...

3 Frigates, level 2's vs 8 WINGS of 5 each lvl 5 air superiority fighters.
      ALL wings are hit for damage.
      In less than 10 minutes after that I take all 40 planes and hit the 3 stacked frigates.
      Frigates taken care of...
      15 planes shot down.

THAT is what spawned my 'this is BS' thing against the new AA changes.

I don't mind taking casualties but in the hard game I am in, AA dominates.

So, coming up with theoretical events isn't cutting it because Caaaaake either hasn't played it out or I am missing something severe here!

And I MICROMANAGE my stuff very well.
      It's one of the reasons I win easily vs most everyone, even the high rank guys here.
      Discover the meta, play to beat the meta.
      Know the game mechanics, stats, and how this all works together into a strategy to win and then do it.

Having radical game changes to the mechanics that don't improve things, just makes it different, doesn't make for a good game.
      If you thought AA wasn't effective, and I never saw a problem with it before, then up the damage it did, not make it cycle every 10 mins (2.5 RL mins in 4x games).
      But, if you are keeping the 10 min timer, then lower the damage vs planes at least.
    • "I understand some of the issues with coding but if you can make WMDs actually target everyone in the area, friend or foe or self, that would be great." ---> often desired, not possible, due to legacy issues.

"Because one tactic is to slow an enemy in their lands down with a blocking unit, then you have ONE HOUR to nuke that unit to death.
      And your blocking units are IMMUNE to the WMD damage. Totally unrealistic with BM's and ICMB's, It can be argued that cruise weapons are only affecting parts of the battlefield and thus friendly forces are safe.
      Even if allied forces take reduced damage, they should be dealt something." ---> Yes, i agree that the fact high-yield nuclear weapons don't devastate anything where they hit, friend or foe, is unrealistic. This said, i think it's related to the same coding issues than the first point.

"Another thing, once your in H to H combat, AA does NOT work. At least when I've seen AA protected units fighting someone, all of a sudden they enemy starts slamming the AA unit with cruise missiles that actually hit. AA should always work, even if the unit is being battled."

As written in the patch, AA round is different from close combat round, meaning than an AA unit attacked on the ground will still use its anti-air, every 10 minutes. If it doesn't, then it's a bug, please report it.

"As to Caaaaake's plan. Has he tried it?
      Because no, I have not seen an AA unit 'triggered' by one unit and then all others slip through after that.
      No, if one unit is hit and damaged / killed, AND the AA unit did not do its full damage, it WILL still do damage to the follow on units."

As written in the patch, AA round doesn't reset (one minute) after a one-kill hit. Once a single unit is killed, the AA timer will begin its 10 minutes cooldown. You describe a case where the ennemy is sending all of its plane in the air bubble, which shows spectacularly a lack of understanding of how the game works. Any player with a minimum martial training will just send "what is needed to waste the AA round", and with the new update, "just the cheapest plane it can send", as One-shot One-kill still waste the round.

So, sorry, but i side with Caaaake's here. His theoretical understanding is true, and the applied experimentations made since give him reason. The case you describe is symptomatic of the problem many of us describe : people that don't know the game get rekt. People that know the game laugh.

"7 towed Arty paired with 3 mobile AA. All max tech and 'hopping'.
      Hops in, and the enemy sees them and starts piling on the cruise missiles.
      ALL missiles are destroyed, not just the first. ALL = 5"

Mobile AA has point defense. Caaaaake doesn't make any reference to mobile anti-air, for this reason. The problematic units are SAM and TDS, that have seen their point defense value erased.
      By the way, you describe another case of basic lack of knowledge on the behalf on your opponent. One needs to be oblivious to how the game works to send CMs, even max levels, on a ground formation with nearly 100% chance to get missiles down.

Any unit, used in an awful way, can be used to describe everything you want.

Want another stupid example ?

Tank destroyer lvl 6 in city + bunker lvl 5, attack by 10 Combat recon vehicle lvl 1.

"I don't see what problem there is with the tank destroyer, look, it worked perfectly, it stopped 10 vehicles alone".

3 MAA max have 12 missile offense and 12 missile defense. Cms go from 5 to 8 HP, and having several missiles at once in the bubble apply independant damages. Nothing new under the sun, this already worked that way before the patch, with the 5 minutes AA check.

"3 Frigates, level 2's vs 8 WINGS of 5 each lvl 5 air superiority fighters.
      ALL wings are hit for damage.
      In less than 10 minutes after that I take all 40 planes and hit the 3 stacked frigates.
      Frigates taken care of...
      15 planes shot down."

Frigates still have point defense, as well as an excellent range. They are not concerned by our general problematic feedback about the new AA system. By the way... Seriously... AA fighters against frigates ? What did you expect ?

You basically gave your opponent a multiplied offensive round by sending all those planes together. Added to the point defense, of course you get 15 planes shot down. But it's only due to the gift you make to your opponent by entering the bubble with 8 groups.

Seems hard to lose more than 6 AA fighters in this situation, with a proper attack management. This said... Why bother with AA fighters against frigates ? the economical trade will NEVER be good... It's basically a 2.0 negative trade, and only work if you are already winning and dominant.

"I don't mind taking casualties but in the hard game I am in, AA dominates.

So, coming up with theoretical events isn't cutting it because Caaaaake either hasn't played it out or I am missing something severe here!"

Yes, sorry to say, but you are exactly in the middle of what we tend to give as feedback : Players like Caaaaaake destroy stacks of 0-point defense AA by sacrificing UAVs or other fodder units. You take heavy casualties by sending troops straight, like a regular player.

"And I MICROMANAGE my stuff very well.
      It's one of the reasons I win easily vs most everyone, even the high rank guys here.
      Discover the meta, play to beat the meta.
      Know the game mechanics, stats, and how this all works together into a strategy to win and then do it."

Ok. You shouldn't, then, take as example for your reasoning cases where the players were absolutely retarded and oblivious to basic game mechanics and meta logic. (Cms against impossible to sature point defense / lots of wings in the bubble at the tick / AA fighters against anti-air ship)

I may not win as much as you, as i do lose, especially against my battle brothers, and i do not have a head collection of top players. I admit humbly that my level of knowledge and game understanding may not rival yours.

Ok, now back to the real stuff : The big elephant in the room is the lack of point defense from SAM and TDS, which allows for such an exploitation of their bubble.
    • I am looking into these issues with the team.

Frankly speaking the point defense of TD and SAM vs missiles weren’t working for a long time due to a system issue associated to both overkill and especially the way we programmed missiles. So we removed them.

We will close the gap one way or another.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf