DEVELOPER DIARY 4: RANK & STATS OVERHAUL (PREVIEW)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DEVELOPER DIARY 4: RANK & STATS OVERHAUL (PREVIEW)

+ + + + PREVIEW + + + +

As many have anticipated in the recent months, players will be happy to know that great progress has been made on the Ranking & Stats Rework. In todays log I'd like to give you a sneak-peek on current plans for the rework and the aims we wish to achieve. As some of you may have noticed, at the moment ranking up is very confusing, no thanks to the fact that your stats are updated at inconsistent intervals. In addition to this, once you actually level up; you aren't given any visual indicator of having done so.

With all this in mind, the overhaul for our Ranking and Stats system is now going to be updated in realtime. As soon as you level up, you will be given a popup display giving you the gratification of being told, there and then, what rank you reached! In addition to this, the rank progression will also be improved with new graphics for ranks being added in. The points rewarded for some ingame actions have also been reworked to reflect the experience gained and required from doing so. Lastly, Solo victories and Coalition victories are planned to be logged on your statistics page.

Since we now have realtime updating of the stats, we have the tools available to deliver events which are reliant on ranks or provide you bonus points. Yes, this means you can look forward to XP boost weekends. Steam Achievements are planned to be enabled for all Steam players to show off to your friends and comrades.

This is only the beginning, with realtime updating of your ranks and stats the foundation has been laid for us to deliver a consistent experience for you, the community.

// Your CoN Team
      Dorado Games
      Conflict Of Nations

The post was edited 1 time, last by Yak ().

• Are you considering some modification on what grants points ? Some kind of rebalance between eco/mil points, for example, and values for destroying X or Y unit ?

Also, do you plan to improve the UI panel of stats ? even if not a huge revamp, we had many feedback about people "not understanding" them
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • I would like to add some elements there:

1)Medals:

Visible to any player. I would like to know is player is able to win anything or get close to victory. It is simply useful to form a coalition and probably an alliance. But please don't do any silly achievements like "Medal for conquering a city". For me, simple list like below would be an important info:

countmedal typemap type
      3xgoldWorld 2020
      5xsilverEurope 1990
      4xbronzeWorld 2020

2)Activity ratio:

There is a need to track overall user activity ratio, I guess. To simply verify who would you like to invite to coalition. For example if user enter any game, he could collect one point.

So, I would like to get this info:
      a) Currently playing games count: 1 (for simpler calculations)

b) Last 7 days activity: 35 enters
      If one enter per day = 100% than this player has 500% ratio
      it means that this player checks his games more then three times per day (very valuable).

c) last 30 days activity: 45 enters = 150% ratio
      So, as we can see, last week he is very active but overall player shows "so so..." activity. 300% ratio is enough state to play good game, I guess.
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 2 times, last by Efreet: grammar, more details, misprints corrected ().

• Totally agree. Would be the kind of thing very cool for stats, in the long run.

I don't agree for the login counts in public, though. Too easily exploitable, but i would like it for alliance leaders (in alliances)
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • "Too easily exploitable"

Any details?
      (So I could probably rethink my proposition and do it less exploitable : )
      (Also I'm aware that devs must be cautious about public user private data, so - no dates, no hours or something like that. Simple game "hits")
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

• Hmm... Right. So maybe "Play" button should trigger it, not the game script.
      And another matter - what If player have game on for half of a day on background. So he is theoretically ultra active, but stats won't show that.
      Display Spoiler

- Marvin Lee Minsky

• Indeed. it's why it's not that interesting of a feature to show activity, and would probably not be reliable
    • About this activity data.
      Game could be covered under some curtain every hour, going into freeze state, something like a screen saver (similar mechanics like that window that says +50% gold for ten minutes), and no refresh work on that, only simple click on a screen or some proper button. That's how activity data could be acquired, even if someone have table always open or even if he keep refreshing.
      Display Spoiler

- Marvin Lee Minsky

• Please do not expect an overhaul in the way it is presented in COW - we are not there yet. The update we are working on will be about the actual stats, update cycles, and an updated rank name and icon list shown on the top level of the user info.

//F
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Maybe show an "Inactive" count, so you have 15 games played and 8 inactive counts, you either went inactive in 8 games or when inactive 2 times in 4 games. Shouldn't count when number of units are below 20, you fought to the end and then said "fuck it" after all your units were killed.
      "For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" -
    • "Please do not expect an overhaul in the way it is presented in COW"

Of coz, 'readable to human' data in a proper table and CoN background is enough for me. :)

But seriously, I think every developer diary will start discussion about some perfect state of things and most of people here know, that most of 'wishes' are impossible ( at least in short time period ). But I guess It's not so bad, after all you have pure data about what your potential customer expects from your product. And I have better user experience (I feel this game changes in good direction, mostly), and by the way, a good opportunity to train my language 'skills' (hopefully also readable to humans). 8)
      Display Spoiler

- Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 1 time, last by Efreet: misprints ().

• Well, the recent uptick in membership isn't just due to our summerfriends. It is due to this being the zeitgeist of strategy war genre. Devs should realize they've rubbed the genie's lamp and make decisive reactions before the ball gets dropped on what those new member's may or may not like about the game system. I say the heck with kiddy gamer statistics about history. I want in game stats, graphs, and meters on current round data. Again, I'm a nobody without importance ;]..
    • Germanico wrote:

Please do not expect an overhaul in the way it is presented in COW - we are not there yet. The update we are working on will be about the actual stats, update cycles, and an updated rank name and icon list shown on the top level of the user info.

//F
      Yes, i know it's a big job. Before all, i would be more interested in stats showing up properly, and some rebalance in score calculation. With the "real time" update you plan, it will already be good