Hypersonic Missiles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• As I understand it current hypersonic cruise missile designs are just 'star wars' type BS. The only speed improvement comes from the lower atmosphere hypersonic glide vehicle at the second stage. Which is neglible and really only meant to actuate it's trajectory rather than boost delivery. Meanwhile top re-entry speed is the same as it was in the early 80s at Mach 20. Not that there shouldn't be a theoretical super fast ICBM modeled in the game

The post was edited 1 time, last by mccarty.geoff: muh """expertise""" ().

• I

mccarty.geoff wrote:

As I understand it current hypersonic cruise missile designs are just 'star wars' type BS. The only speed improvement comes from the lower atmosphere hypersonic glide vehicle at the second stage. Which is neglible and really only meant to actuate it's trajectory rather than boost delivery. Meanwhile top re-entry speed is the same as it was in the early 80s at Mach 20. Not that there shouldn't be a theoretical super fast ICBM modeled in the game
      I would not call hypersonic cruise missles starwars BS, the BrahMos, already travels at mach 3 and is being upgraded to travel at up to mach 5, this missile is already in service with Russia and India.

Russia has successfully tested the Kinzhal hypersonic cruise missile, it will be going into service in 2020 as reported by CNBC and several other news outlets this month, hypersonic cruise missiles are very real and will be fielded by all the major powers within the next few years.