SPECIAL EVENT: OPERATION RIVERINE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SPECIAL EVENT: OPERATION RIVERINE

+ + + + EVENT + + + +

Operation Riverine games will be available for a limited time starting; Today! The scenario gives a complete overhaul to the world map, including but not limited to:
      • Starting units, the early game is much more demanding in a tactical sense. You are given a UAV and Mobile Radar at the start of the game, so make the best of them!
      • Rivers, for the first time in any of our games, rivers are making their debut on the revamped 64 Player World Map. This will undoubtedly change the way you play; be it through tactical campaigns or strategic research and defenses.
      • Provinces,including cities have been reworked in all areas. Province Borders, City Placements, Resources, Harbors and more!

You can expect many other changes to be present, new AI nations, more islands, improved map background, rebalancing to mention a few.

Let us know what you think over the coming days/weeks :)
      Dorado Games
      Conflict Of Nations

• First impressions:

I like the idea to replace Air Superiority Fighter by drone.

I don't like that some playable countries are seriously lacking resources (no more "doubled" production). Well, I'm a fan of concept that resources should mostly come outside of cities, but some playable countries even don't have any "out of a city" resource. : ) For example : Philippines without doubled components... hoo boy. : ) Not to mention Koreas. Those poorly looking Koreas here have bigger military potential then most European countries in reality.

By the way. It's not a secret that It's easier to win If placed in the Europe (much more cities at close distance), so maybe to balance this, other continents should have more cities with doubled production?

Oh, and If you are planning some additional islands - I'll be happy if you add Georgetown and/or Saint Helena Island - these both are between Africa and South America at South Atlantic. As I watch Georgetown in Google Maps, there is even the RAF base. : )

New AI nations? I think Laos and Cambodia, but I know It could be hard to do that.
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 1 time, last by Efreet: grammar ().

• We are working on a 100 player map actually - but put that back due to rivers and updates.

We deliberately unbalance the nations on our world map - in fact we gave North Korea another city. They had only three. It's not meant to be easy or fair. It's a challenge. That is what months back our community asked for in the first place.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • you said already too much. 100 players. Bigger map ? or more dense map ?

"We deliberately unbalance the nations on our world map - in fact we gave North Korea another city. They had only three. It's not meant to be easy or fair. It's a challenge. That is what months back our community asked for in the first place."

"We want NK"
      -"We can't, it's unbalanced"
      -"We don't care, give NK"
      -"Ok, ok, but don't complain, it was not designed to be played"
      -"NK is unbalanced :("
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • I'm aware that event map is something like prototype for testing etc, so I just like to comment only one thing.

"It's not meant to be easy or fair. It's a challenge. That is what months back our community asked for in the first place."

Hmm... I heard about some elite challenges few weeks ago, didn't they give community a challenge they are looking for? : )

But let's back to standard grade challenge with 'randoms' (which aren't easy if you are alone, without your friends behind, lacking of gold and have mediocre players in your coalition (and won't find any better) ). Actually... If you only double some resources to Koreas, they can be a challenge to China or Japan... mostly. They can completely redesign distribution of powers in Asia, instead of being simply eaten by their neighbors as always. Well, from my experience - I've seen only newbies choosing that countries - probably no one else wants a challenge in that form, or I've missed something. ;)

Poor Koreans.
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 1 time, last by Efreet ().

• NK/SK/Israël, were not designed to be played in the first place, and pretty sure you can find several occurences of Germanico saying "NO." Ultimately he said "ok". But those countries will never be balanced within the scope and density of others country, for a simple question of "lack of place".

Yeah, sure, Belgians may desire to play Belgium with 8 cities, but it's just not possible :D
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • "lack of place"

Also wondering about 100-map in this context. But you know, I think It could be resolved If provinces that are not cities, could produce around 2k of some resource. So, we could avoid creating a city only to give some country some resource. Well, there is some problem with production then, but local industry is also quite cheap, so country like this could get enough resources for some early annexation, probably.
      Display Spoiler

- Marvin Lee Minsky

• Could work, but i can anticipate it will just make those countries the #1 desirable place to storm and take at all costs, as the ressource rate is 100%.

Koreas are naturally prone to be the first thing Japan/China try to eat.

Don't forget the good old decision process :

would you attack a group of 10 people with 10 $ each, or a group of 100 people with 35 $ each, or a group of 20 people with 50 $ each ?

Once those places are stormed because they are, factually, the most productive place on earth in terms of ressource production, their output helps their invader, and creates further disbalance, a very... unfair this one.

"Yes but then NK needs to be BUFFED militarly because [50 years old explanation]" ---> it's true, and it's exactly the problem of wanting to balance something that wasn't planned in the first place.

Same reasoning go for Israel.

I have a simple yet absolute vision of those countries : "If you complain they are hard, you are not the reason why they are playable."
    • "it will just make those countries the #1 desirable place to storm and take at all costs"

Well, those special resource fields could produce "regular" amount of resources if they loose status "homeland". Probably this kind of mechanic is nothing new in the code, but I agree that something "special" must be added.

"Koreas are naturally prone to be the first thing Japan/China try to eat."

They could be valuable allies instead. With their weakness no one serious want them to a coalition. : )
      Display Spoiler

- Marvin Lee Minsky

• I actually have a map going where I support SK as Japan ^^ Helped him beat NK and we split China. As Japan I was in a good spot to intervene as I could ship off alot of units to help without having to worry abot getting invaded. Sadly enough it seems like we will be squaring off against India+Pakistan+Iran and I fear my ally isn't active enough to make that a winnable fight.
    • Why is not possible to give the small nations level 2-3 combat outpost (will scare of some players) at the start of the game located at their borders, as well as multiple level 3 arms factories with important resources to keep it military in balance (think Abler nacht scenario). Also give them one or two covettes, to fight off any invasions by sea in early game. If an experienced player takes command (which should be the case for these nations), they can relocate their army into the right strategic locations, so they will be just as difficult to invade as normal size countries, but still have challenges in producing large armies later on. IT will be a challenge, as is should be, but it will be a fair one.