How to defend myself at the beginning of the game?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to defend myself at the beginning of the game?

Hi there, I am being invaded by a neighbor in a test round (my second one). He came with tanks, SAMs and artillery. I didn’t have chance with the units, I had. So my general question is, how can I prepare myself next time?

In detail, it would be interesing to know, how to defeat SAMs. Since they are “Supports”, how can I categorize them? When I am looking for a unit, which could be usefull to destroy them, do I have to take a look for something good against “armed” or “infantry”? In the Combat Proberties I can see, what is good against armed and infantry, but “supports” are not listed there...

Second problem was that I can’t reach the artillery of the enemy (6 units), there were always to far away and they were always behind the tanks and the SAMs. I do have a real pro invader... Does someone know a good strategy to destroy them?

I would really appreciate it, if someone could help out a noob. I tried to find something in the forum about my problem. If you could give my a link that would be nice as well.

Thanks, best regards,
      Tollom
    • Tollom wrote:

Hi there, I am being invaded by a neighbor in a test round (my second one). He came with tanks, SAMs and artillery. I didn’t have chance with the units, I had. So my general question is, how can I prepare myself next time?

In detail, it would be interesing to know, how to defeat SAMs. Since they are “Supports”, how can I categorize them? When I am looking for a unit, which could be usefull to destroy them, do I have to take a look for something good against “armed” or “infantry”? In the Combat Proberties I can see, what is good against armed and infantry, but “supports” are not listed there...

Second problem was that I can’t reach the artillery of the enemy (6 units), there were always to far away and they were always behind the tanks and the SAMs. I do have a real pro invader... Does someone know a good strategy to destroy them?

I would really appreciate it, if someone could help out a noob. I tried to find something in the forum about my problem. If you could give my a link that would be nice as well.

Thanks, best regards,
      Tollom
      all support units except towed artillery are "armor" (towed artillery is "infantry").
      build some arty yourself. if your enemy keeps his arty behind his armored units, you can attack them your artillery and get away with this.
      stack some AA with your artillery to protect it from air attacks
    • one you need naval awaks to see targets , helicopters are suppossed to be able to attack sams ,, but are not able regular anti aircraft guns, you need artillery your self to protect your cities , strike fighters are great to take out artillery if can safely get around the sams , also biuld military hospital where you have an airfield to heal fighter jets
      • hello
    • Tollom wrote:

Thanks, best regards,
      Tollom
      Here's my take on the situation:

Armor
      Tank destroyers are wonderful. Cheaper than tanks, and very useful. Fast, light, armored. Do heavy damage against armored units. I use a combination of 1 or 2 tank destroyers, 2-3 infantry, and 1-2 recon vehicles. I generally don't exceed 5 units per stack. You could also do something like 1 tank destroyer, 1 artillery, 1 AA, 2 infantry. Or 1 tank destroyer, 1 artillery, 2 infantry, 1 recon vehicle. Or you could switch the artillery for an AA unit. Stacking AA units with other units is a good strategy, because if your opponent sends air units to attack your troops, the AA unit will deal double damage against the enemy air unit because the enemy air unit is directly attacking your AA unit.

Artillery is useful, definitely. Towed artillery is best against infantry, mobile artillery is best against armored, multiple missile launchers have decent scores against both. So choose wisely depending on your need and preference. Also multiple missile launchers have the longest range of all artillery units. Mobile artillery are good units. Good anti armor at range, softens up your opponent before they can hit you, and only needs a level 2 army base to mobilize.

Anti-Air
      For AA, I like SAMs, but they need level 3 army bases, which are expensive. I prefer the normal mobile anti-air units for early game. Useful enough, but not great. Over areas where you have land superiority (which means your opponent has no forces there, and thus no ability to place AA units), air superiority fighters are great, and they're amazing after the new buff. Tier 2 (not level 2 research, but the second generation fighter jet, I mean) fighter jets are amazing, but I wouldn't waste my rare materials trying to get them. Level 2 (level 2. Like, the 1st and 2nd research. Because the 2nd research is increased survivability) or level 1 air superiority jets are fine.

Also, IMPORTANT note about AA units: SAMs and TDSs DONT, I repeat, DO NOT target helicopters. So if your opponent has SAMs, and they think they're invulnerable to air attacks, prove them wrong! Attack helicopters (anti-armor helicopters) are AMAZING. Completely blindsides your opponent. Also, if you have high enough level forces, or the right types, you can helicopter assault units to where your opponent's support forces are, and take them out. helicopter assault some tank destroyers to your opponent's artillery and AA to destroy them! It's also a great way to move troops quickly.

Infantry:
      Don't waste your research on mechanized infantry early game. Motorized infantry are fine. If you want helicopter-assault infantry, airmobile infantry are cool for that, but SLOW AS HECK when not flying. I would not research those till later. I think you're probably fine with just motorized infantry.

I already kinda covered air units.

That's all! Good luck! Hope this helps.
    • Think about it this way also: Everyone starts with the same units, and it is more productive to keep them alive than lose and rebuild them. Fight the early temptation to go 1:1 in combat. Starting offensive units are Towed Artillery (30 min research) and Helicopter Gunships I start with those. And the counters to those are Attack Helicopters and Air Sup Fighters (30 min research), which are the next units I crank out. The important part is to use the counter-unit in any battle, to minimize your losses. Having a landlocked country will also allow you to focus on Inf/Armor/Air and skip the Naval tree, but having an Island country like Indonesia means you will have to do Naval Armor/Inf and Naval vessels.
      "For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" -
    • MallahanJr wrote:

Think about it this way also: Everyone starts with the same units, and it is more productive to keep them alive than lose and rebuild them. Fight the early temptation to go 1:1 in combat. Starting offensive units are Towed Artillery (30 min research) and Helicopter Gunships I start with those. And the counters to those are Attack Helicopters and Air Sup Fighters (30 min research), which are the next units I crank out. The important part is to use the counter-unit in any battle, to minimize your losses. Having a landlocked country will also allow you to focus on Inf/Armor/Air and skip the Naval tree, but having an Island country like Indonesia means you will have to do Naval Armor/Inf and Naval vessels.
      and also not everyone starts with the same units. Remember
      'n Place, Time, MAP/SERVER, Doctrine and so on...
      Greetings? 8o Grüße!
      best regards :love: MfG

GorianRay
      Céleste, TriXenonS, CyberSouls
    • best way to stay alive is to have the very best unit in all of CON... Be An Active Player. If you log in do your 30 mins and log out till the next day , how to you expect to beat some one that logs in and plays for 12 hours.. You dont.
      "There are only two types of aircraft — fighters and targets."
      — Doyle 'Wahoo' Nicholson, USMC.