GENERAL UPDATE (180906)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GENERAL UPDATE (180906)

+ + + + UPDATE + + + +

As the Technical team are working tirelessly on the Mobile application and Designers on the Officers balance, we've been digging deep within the communities psyche in search of answers. In search of answers, the team have concocted a very exciting plan for Specific game types, Alliance touch ups, New maps, Events and more! You can expect to see (and play) more about the aforementioned plans next week.

Community
      • Maximum Alliance Member Size
        • Alliance Leaders can now request to have their Alliance Limit extended if Dorado see that it is a genuine need for the Alliance. Please take care that this is at the discretion of Dorado.
      • Gold Entry Matches
        • Inline with our other games, CoN will feature VIP games which require a 5,000 gold entry to join the game. Alternatively Security Council will allow you to join these games free of charge. Joining any of these VIP games will award winning players with a 25,000 gold payout which is evenly split among the members of a coalition is victorious. If a solo victory is achieved the gold is all awarded to the single winner.
      • Map Update
        • The 64 Player World War 2020 Map has been updated with Rivers. We have also introduced the balancing changes which were present in Riverine to give a much needed refresh to the Older 2020 World Map. AI Nations have increased spawn chances for components or supplies in non-city provinces. Games which are currently running on the old Map will not be lost, so the new map can only be played upon generation.
        • The 32 Player Map also follows suit similar to the World War map, with Rivers introduced as well as balancing changes accordingly.
      • Game Hosting
        • Dorado will host regular free Roleplay games for all languages every day - once a day. This includes a variant which will feature Anti-Cheat off, which will require the aforementioned Gold entry. The map used will be the updated 32 Player World Redux.
        • Elite Alliance Challenges will use a 32 World Redux Map variant which includes tailored game balance to fit the disabled gold feature. This is still in development and will be available in the coming week/s.
        • The 32 Player World Redux map is also planned to use the Gold Entry requirement for standard rotation.
      Balance
      • Set ATK/DEF Rating of Stealth Air Superiority Fighter against Naval to 2.5
      • Set Stealth Bomber ATK/DEF Rating against Naval to 5
      • AA radar had problems detecting incoming hostile Strike Fighters due to their low radar signature size. This was extremely confusing for the player as they could see the enemy jet in their territory but their AA could not.
      • Raise operational threshold of recruitment offices to 50% health

//Dorado
      Dorado Games
      Conflict Of Nations

The post was edited 2 times, last by Yak ().

• I started a "World War III" map to see what's up. OK, I like the rivers, but...

1) "AI Nations have increased spawn chances for components or supplies in non-city provinces." I checked 9 AI nations near me, found 1 component province in Yemen.

2) I am playing Greece (6 cities) and 1st day money production rate is 278/h. A few days ago New Zealand had a similar 1st day money rate (5 cities and less regions). On a similar note, I ran out of money pretty fast.

3) I look at the starting units and :cursing: they are less than before! And instead of a cool fighter plane in my capital now I have this silly toy plane. Now if when the idiot attacks me on day 1 I get to look at them with my UAV. But now the idiot who pulls this stupid sh!t has a greater chance of success. That's just great! :D

And now that the game has become more boring than ever, I have a strong urge to just archive it. Maybe with the next update we can have an interesting game for a change, just like it used to be back in the good old days.
    • I think you kinda miss the overall point - all of your fellow players on the map have that "toy plane UAV" which allows you to scout out opposing forces without causing a war.
      We deliberately reduced the starting units to allow less rushing and more buildup during the first part of the game. This is a deliberate decision.

Concerning the resource rates (including money), I can assure you we did NOT touch the production rates nor the factors. The only thing we in eg. the case of Greece did was remove a city:

In case of Greece we did this because Greece on the map is a lot smaller and less powerful then some of its neighbors, say Turkey or Italy and the provinces are tiny and squashed.
      Should you be Greek, there is no offense meant by this (we know the Greek military is in fact a force to reckon with) nor did we do this to reflect current political or economical realities: It's pure and simple a game balancing decision.

Generally the 64 player map was suffering from some serious over-congestion of cities in certain areas. We solved this the best we could - by creating more national tiers, deliberately de-balancing the world map according to feedback and finding from playing it ourselves repeatedly online.

Should you find problems or map bugs/balancing issues please by all means post them and we will correct them - this map should be more fun, not less. Generally the issue may be the definition of fun: We found many nations on the big maps were being attacked so early (also in 4x) that by the time the player joined he was often already under attack or at least threatened, or to late to gobble up the AI nations. All of this should now take a tad longer in order to allow players to join, while not requiring a "peace period" of a day or such.

I hope this clarifies your points satisfactorily.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

The post was edited 2 times, last by Germanico ().

• Germanico wrote:

I think you kinda miss the point - all of you have that stupid toy plane UAV which allows you to scout out opposing forces without causing a war.
      - If I see the UAV scouting my territories that means someone is going to try to make a move against me. Then I shoot down the UAV with my fighter plane. Also in the last few months I see that you are trying to promote the use of the UAV. The reason very few players use them in their games is that the UAV does not win wars. UAV is a luxury unit, something for the gold player to fill his 3rd research slot.

We deliberately reduced the starting units to allow less rushing and more buildup during the first part of the game. This is a deliberate decision.
      - Yes I know why you did it. Unfortunately it is not working :rolleyes: If you play a few games, you will see people attack on day 1 with everything they got, leaving their country undefended. Rushers are going to rush, no matter what you do. So now in the beginning your only option is to hole up in the city and wait for him there. This makes the early game formulaic and monotonous, wait in city, fool attacks you, he dies, then you counterattack, etc... Of course if you spend 10 euros then you have more options, and then you can log off and sleep without worrying :rolleyes:
      Now if we started with say 30-35 units with an interesting variety, then we can guard passes, block the attacker in the forest, counterattack from somewhere else, maybe have a little naval battle. That sounds like a lot more fun, doesn't it?

Concerning the resource rates, I will gladly check with the team.

What would you describe as good old days in terms of Map and Time (like summer 2017 or such)?
      - Yes, summer/autumn 2017. When I went for inactive players country I had to think about SAMs and Tank Destroyers and Artillery pieces. On day 25 I could field 3 army corps defending 3 fronts, plus 2 badass fleets, plus 5-6 airwings plus home defence forces. Now late in the game I find myself spread out thin (that is if I bother to play the game to the end, usually I get bored before things get interesting)
    • Hi GeorgeGrivas,

thanks for the honest feedback. Of course we balance the maps for both - fun and monetization. Otherwise we could not run the game. Simple. This being said we need the fun to prevail simply because no-one will pay for a game that isn't inherently fun...

Concerning your starting units settings:
      You wrote: "Now if we started with say 30-35 units with an interesting variety, then we can guard passes, block the attacker in the forest, counterattack from somewhere else, maybe have a little naval battle. That sounds like a lot more fun, doesn't it? "

Above you are in fact describing a mid-game scenario. And yes, I remember those starting settings well - with the problem being twofold (and I am being absolutely honest here): A) Rushers were making it really hard for many players who either didn't yet fully grasp the game OR where not online/hadn't joined yet B) players did not pay well at all on these maps - probably due to the amount of units provided as well as the lack of opportunity they saw if being crushed early.

Most players tend to believe that the game is dominated by paying players - while in reality this is not the case. On individual maps it can indeed happen but overall players who pay large sums early on (doomstacking and rushing) are few and far between. If players do not get time to build up, form coalitions and plan a strategy and economy they will not be inclined to have fun (unless they are the winners in the rush for grabs) nor will they pay.
      Both fun and payment are deeply intertwined. This makes balancing (and I mean truly balancing) a F2P game so hard because we need to observe both - at our peril. On top of this we have to consider the different playstyles preferred by players, further complicating things.

TLDR;
      We cannot simply set up a F2P MMO global strategy game like a premium title such as HOI4 and expect players to love it - neither will many of them actually like the pacing, nor will they pay for it.
      This means we have to experiment with other settings and always consider the silent majority of players, enjoying their after-work world of WW3.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • OK some final points:

"Rushers were making it really hard" - Yes the rushers. They always rushed, in the good old days, in the latter days with few units, in Operation Riverine and Mid East Crisis (with cities starting with 1-2 units). And now, only a few hours in a 4x game, South Korea lost a city, Italy lost a city, Libya lost a city and is about to lose another, etc...

"for many players who either didn't yet fully grasp the game" - An in-depth strategy guide would be really useful for new players (and for many "experienced" players with stripes :D :P ).

"OR where not online/hadn't joined yet" - That is where the many units come in, also for AI nations. Invading Belgium should be an adventure. Invading France, better think twice about it.

"players did not pay well at all on these maps" - Money talks BS walks, OK I respect that.

"If players do not get time to build up, form coalitions and plan a strategy and economy" - Yes I prefer this kind of gameplay, and when I joined I expected this kind of competition. But this was not meant to be :rolleyes: Also there are some players who are just after some fighting in the afternoon, then they go inactive.

"Both fun and payment are deeply intertwined" - If you don't coin early game is boring, you fight silly wars with pathetic armies. But if you do coin, then you are unstoppable and it is trivial to win. Unless the opponents coin also. These new VIP games sound like a good idea.

"we have to consider the different playstyles preferred by player" - Then there are some players who are just after some fighting in the afternoon, then they go inactive.

"HOI4" - Isn't that the game where you need to build factories to produce uniforms and ammo pouches before you can train infantry? No thanks :D