DEVELOPER DIARY 9: A STORMS A-COMING

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DEVELOPER DIARY 9: A STORMS A-COMING

+ + + + PREVIEW + + + +

It's the end of another week in the lovely month of October, as we close it in preparation for both; the months to come, and for weeks to come.
      I hope you've had the time to enjoy the new Mediterranean Event map! With CoN's ever growing list of maps, game types and modes it is easy to miss the chance to join any of these fresh games especially if they are open for a limited time only. But this is a good thing, CoN is a game which will almost never be played the same twice, more so with the aforementioned additions. Additions which would never be here if we did not have such a dedicated, faithful community.
      And with this being said, I am very happy to tell you what the team is working on and focusing on predominantly:
      • New Elite Challenge Map: And this will be a big one. Without giving too much away, you can expect explosive action on an A-Symmetric map which is exclusively available to Elite Alliance Challenges. Supporting a smaller player count, this map is guaranteed to provide jaw dropping events and tactics.
      • Officers: Infusing love and care in equal amounts to world and war, the designers are crafting away to provide you with an unforgettable feature which will leave it's mark in the history of our development. These units are exclusive to Conflict of Nations, changing the way you strategise your way to victory. We are immensely excited to see these heros command your fleets, wing or troops to victory on the campaigns they are assigned.
      • Mobile: CoN on mobile is something which require some months to prepare. Migrating over to Mobile development in and of itself requires us to set up a countless number for tools, systems, refactoring, internal wiki posts, and an abundant amount of existential anxiety. We are in early to early-mid stages, but you can look forward to it in the coming months.
      As always, we look forward to the community's response and experience.

//Yak - Community Manager
      Dorado Games
      Conflict Of Nations

• "But this is a good thing, CoN is a game which will almost never be played the same twice, more so with the aforementioned additions."

Really, go look on your games page and 95% of the games you have on that long list is Flashpoint Europe, most of which only have 9 of 28 players in them. Hell there are very few 4x games, which people have all but begged for. Outside of the Riverine map, not much has truly changed about this game. Yeah a few updates here and there on units and some fixes, but the only true changes or main additions have been for those that spend money or play 15 maps a time to make a ton of free gold or those that are in an alliance. VIP matches that have to be paid for (I know you dont have to buy gold to get in, but I shouldnt have to play 5+ games for 60 days jsut to get into a VIP game). Its sad that the Dorado is only really doing what the top 100 players ask for or want and screw everyone else. Hell I see people asking for help, pointing out issues or asking for certain things to be implemented and those calls go ignored by staff or get passed over by the high ranks because its not what they want.

Maybe once you decide to do things for more than the top 100 people in the game, you will expand to a playerbase that exceeds a few 3-4k people daily (if that, since over 300k players on your rankings are still showing at lvl1 with 0 points). Until then, I cant play this biased game.
    • Hello.

The Flashpoint Europe are a dedicated "beginner map", where are automatically sent people who enlist into the game. As in every F2P, there is a huge dropout of those players. I agree that there is a problem of presentation with those "trash games" Beyond that, obviously, activity is and will remain a problem on an online strategy game : people lose, people rage quit.

"Hell there are very few 4x games, which people have all but begged for"

A new X4 game is created every time the precedent is filled, if i say no mistake. Many players play only that, even if i personally don't know how they do. My brain melts with one X1 game played 24/24 7/7, and they seem to be fine with 15 X4 games. However, those X4 are VERY appreciated by the youngest part of our audience. A bit less by the "mature" players.

"Yeah a few updates here and there on units and some fixes, but the only true changes or main additions have been for those that spend money or play 15 maps a time to make a ton of free gold or those that are in an alliance."

One update a week. I don't know what game you play, that wouldn't be a huge warship with 500 employees, that make you feel their update rate or their commitment to community feedback is in any way... lacking.

"but the only true changes or main additions have been for those that spend money or play 15 maps a time to make a ton of free gold or those that are in an alliance"

Well... People that spend money are customers and support the business, people who play A LOT support the activity, and alliances support the community. I'm biased, because, you see, i'm myself an alliance leader, who plays a lot, and also a customer. I also help in the moderation. Your opinion is respectable.

If you are not a customer, do play only casual, and are not taking part in community life through an alliance... then... well... the game is free for you... with some paywalls.

VIP games are an attempt to make some games with less rage quit. Has it worked ? this i don't know. But the idea is quite straightforward : if you purchased "a beer" to enter the round, you are more likely to stick on the game.
      Notice also that for Security council (premium), you can enter them free of charge.

So... it's either 3 bucks, either a 5 bucks per month subscription, or... you can even use free gold. I can understand that all people don't have the funds to such useless expenses, but it's like that : Dorado games is ultimately a business, NOT a charity.

"Hell I see people asking for help, pointing out issues or asking for certain things to be implemented and those calls go ignored by staff or get passed over by the high ranks because its not what they want. "

Could you be specific and give references, please ? On the CoN discord, Dorado tends to answer DIRECTLY to such requests. I saw even the most ludicrous and unreasonable requests made by people without the simplest grasp of the game being answered in a structured "business-why/gameplay-why" by the CM or the CEO. Again, i have trouble to find their behaviour "lacking" in any way. Maybe you are hinting that YOUR requests in particular were not heared.

Well, if you knew the number of topics i disagree with Dorado... They are not a bunch of students in their garage, taking every feedback as a word of their gods/users. They steer their ship. They hear, they listen, but they d.e.c.i.d.e. And it's why the game is growing, even if, as individuals, we love to convince ourselves that the things we dislike are flawed by essence and will fail . You may be tempted to come back in 2 or 3 years, to see if you were right of wrong. Farewell until then !

Thanks for the Dev blog ! Mobile Mobile Mobile ! :D
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • @Wacko: trust me the high ranks are following everything... Doesn't get higher than me actually. And I don't know where you draw your numbers from but they are so off the chart that it's like you are talking about another game.
      And your clam we are only making stuff for the top 100 players seems to have no foundation - without naming a single issue how shall we understand? The coming Officers have completely no pay function whatsoever.

This being said, our 4x games are on a "respawn on full" schedule. So if you can't find one, you may actually be wanting to say: You are not finding the 4x you like...
      Flashpoints being filled by 9 of 28 players is actually really okay, considering it is the tutorial map and very condensed - meaning half of the players that stay in the game will be defeated quickly.
      So let's do some math - 28 players start - 8 leave the game cause they don't like it and 10 of the remaining players kick the other 10 hard. Should these defeated players stay and watch their homelands burn?

Finally, we are pushing a really massive new content ADDON and all you say is meh... "you're not releasing anything new". I am trying to understand, but I honestly am struggling.
      If we are biased, as you claim, I am wondering what bias that would be: supporting our players? Is that a bad thing?

Peace,

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf