Unit HP When Unstacking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unit HP When Unstacking

This is probably my biggest pet peeve about the game so far: when two units of unequal health are divided after combining; each individual unit doesn't revert to its original HP state before combining. Is this intentional?

It's kinda unfair really that, for example, a unit (A) with full HP joins another (B) (of the same type obviously) with significantly less HP only for unit (A) to have its HP slashed when it leaves the stack and unit (B) to have "absorbed" some of unit (A)'s HP.

I beg you, brothers: fix that please. Hope I wasn't too confusing.
      "Any of you *uckin' pricks move, and I'll execute every mother*uckin' last one of ya!" - Honey Bunny
    • It's intentional: in fact game mechanically stacks of units (eg. Inf A and Inf B) form a completely new unit (inf stack C).
      This has been a core element of our engine and has been since it's earliest iterations in games such as Supremacy and Call of War.

On a side-note this mirrors most armed forces practices where units are "salvaged" to compensate for losses in other units in order to retain some semblance of combat readiness.
      Eg. in WW2 this was a constant issue with the Axis forces where men and equipment would be repeatedly put under the control of new Corps, Divisions, Commanders, Kampfgruppen and the like.

This being said I would be interested in why you find this to be such a problem?
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • I see. That military info is appreciated. Makes sense.

However, for the sake of our game - and this will hopefully answer your question about why I find it such a problem - I feel there should be an option to revert units to pre-combining. Allow me to elaborate with an in-game example (latest of many similar examples):
      - Plane A (100% HP)
      - Plane B (10-20% HP)
      - Plane B idle at Madrid
      - Plane A arrives at Madrid and is merged with Plane B
      Here is where I believe that we should have the option of reverting both units to what they were at before merging. For rationalization purposes, is that possible or has it been done before/is being done now in real-world military situations?

Maybe a slider to determine which unit gets more "HP" from the process of merging/unmerging can fix it... Maybe not. Hope my loud thinking is not too much.
      "Any of you *uckin' pricks move, and I'll execute every mother*uckin' last one of ya!" - Honey Bunny
    • No worries - this amount of detail is highly encouraged.
      To be honest I would actually have to look up the details of the formula calculating the distribution.

As mentioned the really biggest obstacle in this is the fact that at the point of "merging" your two units technically become one.
      Elaborating on your example said fighter units now form a new "fighter wing" so to speak. That's also the reason for shifting unit numbering.
      Everytime units are merged / split the system actually forms new units. The old ones really don't exist any more - only the types are stored (eg. 2 fighters).
      Otherwise we would need huge databases simply storing previous stats - something we were keen on avoiding.

There are several such "quirks" in our game - for better or worse is in the eye of the beholder...
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • I'm glad that, for once, my rambling is of some use :)

I understand now how the computational demands that database would require would be monumental.

What if you we don't have to store any previous units and use that slider idea? We'd create 2 new units (from the merged one) with whatever HP we decide each unit should have. It could make sense from a realism aspect: the General/Commander decides which unit would be "up to snuff" and which one would be the less efficient one by assigning men/equipment to one unit more than the other.