Accidental war with RoW

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Accidental war with RoW

Okay this is REALLY frustrating me. *FOUR* times in the last three days the game as set war with someone I have RoW with. Two different games, three different people. All of us are confused. I have had no ground units in their territory, only aircraft. I've lost over 20 air and helicopter units to suddenly not having any base to attach to anymore, which in and of itself is kind of stupid that they instantly crash yet they can patrol for hours without landing. There should be some kind of grace period until they run out fuel, to allow you make another base available, like establishing a Row with someone. Anyway, that's a side issue. The real issue is WHY is this happening? I use only the "move" command, never "attack" and because of the problem, I try to minimize any contact with anyone which defeats the purpose of having RoW. Two of the times this has happened when we were offline - browser was open but I was away and not actually interacting with the game. There is no mutual conflict like trying to attack the same territory or something. I am literally just passing through the territory or using the airbase and it sets us to war.

Actually, now that I think about it, I bet there is a 5th incident too. I attributed it to an inactive player and the computer taking over but he wasn't inactive an in that case, it happened the instant I set some aircraft to ferry to his airport.

Also, as far as I know, it's not splash damage.

The post was edited 1 time, last by OneCosmicGuy ().

• The most recent time could have been splash damage. My plane landed to refuel at a city that was battling an insurgent. There was a ship off the coast that MAY have fired. If that is the case, there needs to be some feedback to each player to let them know what is happening. If that was the cause in this one example, we need to know. Otherwise, we get these mysterious wars declared and have no idea what triggered it, so as the user, we just feel like it's a glitch in the game and get frustrated, especially with RoW when our units are in close proximity or each other's territory and we're suddenly fighting each other.
  • Are you checking the Events log and News? Its a good idea to check both, otherwise you might miss out on vital info. Chances are the other players might be going to war because of something they did, not you, especially if you're using the move command only. Keep in mind that Naval, artillery or missile units are going to cause splash damage. There are so many factors which could be causing you or other players to go to war, we need as much information as you can provide and if possible, the GameID/s as soon as it happens.
    Dorado Games
    Conflict Of Nations

• @Yak: I check the events log all the time, but not the news. The events only show me that the other player changed their status. Sometimes there is no mention at all. None. Maybe on those times it's my splash damage causing it? I'll try to look in the news more often to see if it identifies what triggered it.

@Germanico: Awesome! Great to know. I would actually be okay (kind of lol) if the splash damage still happened, but didn't auto trigger war with a friendly country. A notification would be nice so you can decide what to do. But for a quick fix, including it on the safe list is wonderful. Thank you!

For what it's worth, it happened again today but that is probably a splash damage. Player likely ordered ships to attack a city but my infantry got there first so when the ships showed up and started shooting, my units took damage. Given that the city changed owners, it would be nice if units understood to not fire on a friendly city unless the order was actually given while it was a friendly city. I can think of a couple situations where someone might want that but shouldn't be too often.

Thank you both. I'm going to assume the other situations were all splash damage. If I get a situation that I believe was not, then I'll post the game ID and situation here(?).
  • Okay, it just happened again about 20 minutes ago (when I started this) and I can't figure this one out. I am Greece, he is the United States. The game ID is 2,519,555. The event log shows he declared war on me. The CON says he crossed my boarders. He has only one unit in my territory and that was there hours ago (Norway area). We have no other contact. He is generally not active this time of day and is probably offline.

Something to look at: The city of Stavanger in Norway. He had a airmobile guy walking (LOL) near that city, probably set to attack it. I previously cleared out the defenders a couple of days ago and dropped my own airmobile guy into the city. I can see his routing stops in my territory but what if it was set to the city and somehow changed when I dropped in to the city? I haven't captured it yet, they are still deploying so I don't know why the routing on his unit would change, if in fact it did. Based on the log, the war was triggered 15 minutes after they landed. Since we have no other units near each other that I am aware of (maybe he has stealth units??), seem logical to assume it's something with these.

The post was edited 1 time, last by OneCosmicGuy ().

• Speaking of who gets there first, how are cities awarded if two players jointly conquer it? This was in the same game, but different city then mentioned above. I arrived first to a city, the US player joined later, then more of my units arrived. The event log credited me with taking out the final defender, yet the city was given to the US player. So I was there first, I got the final hit on the defenders (if that counts for anything), yet the city went to someone else. My first to arrive unit did get taken out before the end of the battle, so is the game seeing the US player as first to arrive even though I was and at no time was it only the US player alone? Meaning, I was first to arrive, and my other units showed up before my first unit was defeated, so I was there continuously but maybe from the games point of view, it sees the US player as "first" since my original unit didn't make it to end, even though I had other units there???