Benefits of Over Stacking?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Benefits of Over Stacking?

I'm just wondering, are there any benefits to over stacking units? I'm in a game now were a much more experienced player has 3 stacks, one naval, one air and one ground, all over stacked but all with an officer too. Makes me think there must be some benefit that surpasses the loss in efficiency? My searches on this subject did not yield anything helpful. More HP to divide out damage? What exactly are the effects of reduced efficiency, besides movement speed?
  • well... if you don't overstack into the red, ie. keeping the overstacking to a manageable amount (eg. infantry 10-15 instead of max 10 units) you do benefit from the fact that you have more units - HP wise. Your combat values don't drop yet - they just don't increase as much.
    You will already suffer movement penalties, but for eg. a defensive force this may not be a problem.

Hope that explains it.
    "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • not tru if over stack in defence you lost your damage per time ...

like if you have 60 unit in one stack and i ariive with 30 unit in 3 stack its may be posible that i have been realy near victory becouser your group have wery low damage on start so like if i have another 10 fresh unit in reserve nad arrive in 3-4 round you lost batle (if talk about only atack defence simpy same unit together ...)

btw one cosmic guy many players have his experince from defensive play mean lost evry game with play ... so not evry higl level players its skilled ...

( advice if one time start 10-20 map on slow map its posible without any interest from you that 1/3 small map its go in inactivity .. and you make much experince for not play like mean give 5 minut to klick build recruit and one per 3 day send some atack ... ....
  • @Germanico
    So, to kind of restate what you said to make sure I'm understanding it correctly, you do not get full credit for that unit's firepower if you stack into the yellow, but you do get full credit for that unit's HP during combat?
    Also, in that scenario, say with 11 infantry, do you still get full credit for the first 10 and only the 11th is reduced, or does having 11 reduce the entire stack?

And thank you in advance for your always helpful replies.
  • Taking your example: the 11th infantry unit doesn't actually reduce the combat stats - it just adds less value than you would normally get.
    Only for units above 15 do ground units actually suffer diminishing stats.

Essentially, the 11th infantry sort of functions like a "reserve" - having a place in the stack (albeit with slightly reduced numbers) until another unit is killed.
    Once the stack suffers casualties (eg. 10th inf is killed) it will count only 10 inf and thus does not receive overstacking penalties any longer.
    I unofficially call it a "hopper" system - as you can imagine units above the standard 10 dropping into place when a place gets freed up due to casualties.

TLDR: especially if defending or not relying on speed you may want to consider stacks of up to 15 units because you will have substantially more "staying power" on the battlefield.
    (the downside obviously being, that big stacks make a perfect target for WMDs, but that's a different topic)

Hope that explains it better.
    "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf