Logistics / Supply Requirements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Logistics / Supply Requirements

Hello!
      Up front, I would like to say I've only played a hand full of games so far, and I am very impressed with the operational and strategic thinking required to be successful in this game (relative to your opponents :D ). The following suggestion is very aspirational and curious of developers thoughts on the matter.

The game lacks simulating the logistics network, required especially for modern day warfare. Although I hate the analytical challenge of proper planning to ensure a balance of supply to fielded forces ratio in a certain region, the logistics network is a major vulnerability for those forces in reality. An army should have to establish a front that protects against envelopment or penetrations aiming to seize logistics nodes. In the current version of the game, fielded forces can operate indefinitely once mobilized. This decreases options for maneuver. For example, neutralizing an opponents harbors may degrade naval forces, or enveloping a land army (either by air assault or ground maneuver) may result in seizure of a city which degrades the performance of the enveloped army. Another option, instead of a macro envelopment of the entire enemy force, you may choose to envelop small pieces of an opposing force. Thus, the logistics network expands the options available for the maneuver.

My recommendation is that future patches (or most likely future game engine) implements a logistic/supply chain that emanates from the urban centers, back to homeland/annexed provinces. Airbases, Harbors, and potentially railways/road networks would increase the amount of supply distributed through the battlefield to mobilized units. Different units should have different supply-level requirements. Thus, if one army out maneuvers an opposing army and seizes an urban center, then the supply chain becomes more strained. If a unit becomes isolated from a logistics node, then the unit suffers a combat or movement penalty, set on a timer. Other games have implemented a similar system, and it is important to challenge armies to secure their flanks and exploited penetrations.

*** Disclaimer - I scanned through the forums to confirm to see if anyone else had brought up this topic. Apologies if I missed it. ***

That said, I love the game! I really enjoy the variety of units and simulating the strengths and weaknesses of each, from ICBM down to individual infantryman.

Cresens
    • I like the Idea,
      although i´m not sure if it il make the game to complicated.
      Don´t msiunderstand me, I like it complicated, the more the better, but I´m afraid with to much things to look after, thi would be so complex, that especially our newbies get overwhelmed.

Maybe this is an option for the exoierienced players.
      In that case we can get points from the seniors who can play a highly complex game, and wi didn´t loose the guys who just jumo in to move some units to conquer the world...
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dorado Games
      DE - Team Lead
      Conflict of Nations

"That was not me, it was already broken!"
    • The devil is in the detail here, but I love the idea. The learning curve as it is right now is pretty steep already, plus the UI already has a hard time communicating the existing concepts in the game. But one great way to simulate this on a high level might be a provincial building that grants similar combat buffs like the officers. It could look like this:

1) You must build a Logistics Hub in a city that is at least Annexed.

2) You must build Forward Bases in adjacent provinces.

3) If the chain to the Logistics Hub is broken, all Forward Bases that are cut off from the main chain don't provide any bonuses until the connection is somehow restored (either recapture the province or circumvent it).

* When stacks are fighting within range of an operational Forward Base they receive a buff (bonus to attack, movement, etc.).
    • If devs would want to start to do logistics, they should start with changing this absurd idea of next tech unit level miraculously changing all previous level units into new generation without any cost (except tech cost itself) ;) IMHO better than new set of buildings and micromanaging going with it, would be adding new tech branch that would give bonuses to units efficiency (as commanders do but globally or for certain types like naval/land units) not to mention techs that would ensure higher resources yield and so on... just not with 2 tech slots in the same time please :P