Trade Embargos, how can we up the impact???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dealer of Death wrote:

jemandanderes wrote:

So if there are multiple offers and you pick a worse price you get the better price? I didn't expect that.
      yes that's how it works, it is just another aspect of strategy that the OP apparently doesn't appreciate
      In effect, the market is locked as in if I wish to sell to a player in my coalition I can't because the player that has put up a trade of 5K+ at the max price will automatically get that trade
      In other words, if I want to sell components to a player a 6 per unit the market system will not allow it and the trade will go to the player that has maxed out the unit price. The trading system should allow any player to buy/sell any trade that they wish regardless of the unit price But as it doesn't the market is in effect locked
      The more I think about it this is just another way of making players buy using gold as the only method of not selling to an enemy player
      As to not appreciating that aspect of strategy, I feel the opposite is true that being Dealer of Death has a lack of understanding of how this locks players out of training to each other.
    • Freedom Fighter wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

jemandanderes wrote:

So if there are multiple offers and you pick a worse price you get the better price? I didn't expect that.
      yes that's how it works, it is just another aspect of strategy that the OP apparently doesn't appreciate
      In effect, the market is locked as in if I wish to sell to a player in my coalition I can't because the player that has put up a trade of 5K+ at the max price will automatically get that tradeIn other words, if I want to sell components to a player a 6 per unit the market system will not allow it and the trade will go to the player that has maxed out the unit price. The trading system should allow any player to buy/sell any trade that they wish regardless of the unit price But as it doesn't the market is in effect locked
      The more I think about it this is just another way of making players buy using gold as the only method of not selling to an enemy player
      As to not appreciating that aspect of strategy, I feel the opposite is true that being Dealer of Death has a lack of understanding of how this locks players out of training to each other.
      No, see, that is where you are WRONG.

YOU are not appreciating the strategy of locking the market up thereby preventing your anti-capitalist trades, simply because you are the victim. I understand perfectly what it does. You also apparently don't understand it is a free market, not some back channel dealings between China and North Korea. That's why it's called a market, and not trades.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

MallahanJr wrote:

Trade Embargo's are important to the market warriors. You build up and sell cheap components and electrics and get them hooked on the market. Then you raise the prices and use the money to hire agents to subvert the country, all while you are at war with another coalition. It's how the man keeps everyone down.
      Starting from day 10 there are no offers on the market anymore...
      As long as there is no vital mrket and embargo does not effect anybody...I agree that it can be removed.
      That's one of the major issues with CoN. The market needs to be redesigned - a WHOLE makeover. I would suggest that maybe the AI nations could trade resources that they, most likely, have a surplus of?
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • Freedom Fighter wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

jemandanderes wrote:

In effect, the market is locked as in if I wish to sell to a player in my coalition I can't because the player that has put up a trade of 5K+ at the max price will automatically get that tradeIn other words, if I want to sell components to a player a 6 per unit the market system will not allow it and the trade will go to the player that has maxed out the unit price. The trading system should allow any player to buy/sell any trade that they wish regardless of the unit price But as it doesn't the market is in effect locked
      You could declare war on all player-controlled non-coalition countries except for the one you want to trade with, do the trade with your ally, and then switch back to peace with the other countries. As long as you don't actually get your units into a fight during that time, I think I'm right in saying that the other countries' status will remain at "peace" with you throughout.

Or you could find out which country has the buy order on the market by using your spies, then only declare war on that country when you want to do your trade.

It's a bit of a clumsy workaround, but I think it'd work.
    • jemandanderes wrote:

WalterChang wrote:

As long as you don't actually get your units into a fight during that time, I think I'm right in saying that the other countries' status will remain at "peace" with you throughout.
      No, you aren't.
      Ah well. Though, if someone is blocking the market, I'd call that valid justification (if any were needed) for declaring war, anyway. You just have to do some espionage to find out which country is doing it.

The other alternative is just to get in first with the top offer as soon as the market collapses, so that you can control the bids. I agree with others that the in-game market could do with some attention. It doesn't really work very well as is.
    • WalterChang wrote:

jemandanderes wrote:

WalterChang wrote:

As long as you don't actually get your units into a fight during that time, I think I'm right in saying that the other countries' status will remain at "peace" with you throughout.
      No, you aren't.
      Ah well. Though, if someone is blocking the market, I'd call that valid justification (if any were needed) for declaring war, anyway. You just have to do some espionage to find out which country is doing it.
      The other alternative is just to get in first with the top offer as soon as the market collapses, so that you can control the bids. I agree with others that the in-game market could do with some attention. It doesn't really work very well as is.
      Doesn't work well for who? Players, ... or Dorado? ;)
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• WalterChang wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Doesn't work well for who? Players, ... or Dorado?
      Yes.
      I think you are mistaken, sir. I think it works quite well for one of the listed parties.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Kalrakh wrote:

The AI is probably the same they had in Supremacy 1914 in regards of market. It worked decent there, because certain countries had natural lack of certain resources so AI had to trade to compensate.
      Does not work this way in CON, because countries are better balanced, only very few like Koreas have a real imbalance.
      Yeah, on the face of it the market is the same as it always was in S1914. Probably the same as CoW as well, although I believe they updated the AI in that one to the "elite" version across all game modes and removed the old "standard AI" altogether - CoN seems to still use the standard one - so maybe there are some differences in the way the AI handles the market? But the resource balancing between countries in CoW is pretty much the same as in CoN, and the market does seems to work better in CoW (ie. it doesn't dry up so quickly).

I don't know. It's not a major aspect of the game, really. It could be a decent extra strategic element if they improved it, but I don't honestly think it's that important to the overall gameplay. Diplomacy (including trade) is utterly sidelined in CoN public games, to the point where it doesn't even feel like an intended gameplay feature. Maybe that's by design, to put all the emphasis on the tactical warfare instead?
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

DONT CALL IT A.I.
      The code that controls what the Computer Players do. They updated the C.T.C.W.C.P.D. in CoW to the "Elite" version across all game modes and removed the standard mode of C.T.C.W.C.P.D. altogether, whereas CoN still appears to use the old standard version of CTCWCPD.

For example, in CoW the computer players are a bit more aggressive in terms of war declarations and invasions, but they don't do the thing where they instantly charge at any ranged bombardment that's attacking them (so they don't charge ships with land units!).
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

To quote in the style of my favorite comedian after he went to a vegetarian restaurant : " DONT CALL IT Schnitzel."

DONT CALL IT A.I.

----

I hope @Dealer of Death can provide a meme acordingly...
      Ima gonna come clean here: While I'd love to provide a meme, I have to admit, you totally lost me with A.) your reply, and B.) the comedian's joke.

-signed, Completely Lost, DoD

i-have-no-idea-what-you-re-talking-about.jpg
      The KING of CoN News!!!