Can we classify CoN as e-sport?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can we classify CoN as e-sport?

Hey guys,

I want to make a brainstorm here with those who want to contribute to the discussion.

Most of you already heard about e-sport thing. Can we describe our beloved CoN in this category? Or what does make us differentiate from the ones?
      An organizer says what makes a game e-sport is that it brings points after some competitions and comes from a business model.
      And how can we (or should we?) make here fit into this group?

What do you think of this?
    • A very interesting thread. How would you go about it? Being a complex game with monetisation will definitely create an obstacle. This said we do have our Elite mode.... The other important part in this is wide spread of the game akin to LOL or World of Tanks.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • I quiet nice Idea :)
      I´m not that deep in e-sports, what is needed to be an official E-sport?
      What are the benefits?
      Do we get access to cheerleaders? ;)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dorado Games
      DE - Team Lead
      Conflict of Nations

"That was not me, it was already broken!"
    • What makes something e-sports?

- Basically having enough players interested in actually competing.
      - Having the game arranging some of the tournaments etc. (Specially yearly after the first one).

Any game with multi-player, that contains PvP can become e-sport really, so far there is an amount of people, and one or few can succeed in taking the first place among these.

Even if CoN map are taking 30 days, this could this become e-sport, no need to be in an arena for one month just sitting and playing, that would just no make sense, and playing maps that are x30 speed to make it all fit in one day.

Basically have held matches by the developers/CM's looking into them, and having some sort of score board and points, and e-sport tournaments can be held.

Even today more sports that are something you used to play in the back hard, become something to take tournaments in, same with games, just need to have the right player-base that wants it, and the devs/CM's to hold it.

In my eyes, one day CoN will be ready for this, right now we can hold mere tournaments if we want to, just to announce few best alliances, but no real prices will be given :P
      Have a nice following day
      - Luoniev

Conflict of nations - PL Team Leader, EN Senior Moderator
    • I liked your answer @Luoniev thank you for this valuable suggestion. I feel the same. But ı think there is a blind spot for it. 'LIVE SCREEN' How can we present the games for viewers in the current game mechanics, ı am not sure.
      Because if the viewer can see the game, the rival can see it. Maybe we can make all-can be seen-games?
      Or the matches will be published after it is ended but that's against the nature of e-sport.

But ı feel if we will do it, it must be high speed games, that's for sure as you stated. :thumbsup:
    • Very interesting idea; one that is very doable imo if brainstormed well. Not sure if it must be televised in order for it to qualify as e-sport though.

Another question to address as well is what is the purpose of making into an e-sport, beyond the obvious media and fan base exposures as well as the potential monetary benefits of a potential broadcasting? Are these only achievable through the induction into the world of e-sport?

As @Luoniev mentioned, I agree it can either be a 1x or a (much) faster speed. There are some obvious pros and cons to both speeds.

Eternus wrote:

Alat Urka wrote:

Most of you already heard about e-sport thing. Can we describe our beloved CoN in this category? Or what does make us differentiate from the ones?
      no, as long as CoN will be ptw - no one will take it as a e-sport seriously
      Personally, I don't see this game as PtW. Many a fool has paid and lost ;)
      "Any of you *uckin' pricks move, and I'll execute every mother*uckin' last one of ya!" - Honey Bunny
    • Well, that is true what you are telling @Alat Urka , but there could just, at the end be a recorded fast forwarded game with commentary on it, for people to see.

Of course with the slow pace that our game has, it is not really possible for live audience, where the players could anytime check in on their opponents side. Then only thing that could be sent live is an picture of the map without any troops on it. To see what territory the players have conquered during the time, that is something every player playing the tournament can see on their own map, which would not spoil/cheat anything.

Purpose of e-sports, well people are always finding to be good in something, and achieving something, wanting to achieve something somewhere.. Some might think who the hell would want to have a professional CS:GO trophy at home? For a game? As i mentioned it is a lot of based on the community, we have quite many games out there that do not have any e-sport.

For some games, e-sport can also lure in more audience, people becoming professional in the game, can earn money, get fame, it is something both the game and the players can see as a win-win situation.

E-sports are like sports, some might think what is the purpose? But it is very similar to sports. There are many professional football player teams, and there are a lot players playing football only for a hobby, same goes for games. Few are professionals, playing in teams or for their country, while some stay to just play it as a hobby.
      Have a nice following day
      - Luoniev

Conflict of nations - PL Team Leader, EN Senior Moderator
    • Something came to my mind about how we can make live screen for this.

Maybe the viewer can only see the conflict areas. For example, A member from X team tries to infiltrate into the city of B member of Y team. Since the rival see it, everbody have right to see it. In this scenario, the viewers witness the war, not previous tactics of the team. Suppose you are a viewer and waiting for action, and some conflicts come up and new events pop up on the different part of the map. That would be exciting.

I think everybody can agree with this. The viewers, the players, the developers.

And if there had been such games in CON ı would have definitely watched them to experience the tension. To be honest, most of the games end in first two days, and with high speed games this will be minimized and viewers's thrill is maximized. This might stimulate them to monitor teams, and in turn it bring about some serious fans.

An indirect result of this, alliances or composed teams would take things more seriously and internal activity of CoN also is influenced very very positively.

And as far as I know, there is no such example in e-sport. Most of them are action games based on players like counter strike ones etc. This would change things if we can manage it properly.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Alat Urka ().

• Alat Urka wrote:

Something came to my mind about how we can make live screen for this.

Maybe the viewer can only see the conflict areas. For example, A member from X team tries to infiltrate into the city of B member of Y team. Since the rival see it, everbody have right to see it. In this scenario, the viewers witness the war, not previous tactics of the team. Suppose you are a viewer and waiting for action, and some conflicts come up and new events pop up on the different part of the map. That would be exciting.

I think everybody can agree with this. The viewers, the players, the developers.

And if there had been such games in CON ı would have definitely watched them to experience the tension. To be honest, most of the games end in first two days, and with high speed games this will be minimized and viewers's thrill is maximized. This might stimulate them to monitor teams, and in turn it bring about some serious fans.

An indirect result of this, alliances or composed teams would take things more seriously and internal activity of CoN also is influenced very very positively.

And as far as I know, there is no such example in e-sport. Most of them are action games based on players like counter strike ones etc. This would change things if we can manage it properly.
      It is what I suggested once in regards for streaming in CoN, not sure if here in the forum or on Discord: Viewers get only to see, what is seen by both sides and but the get all the combat notifications. Though the problem might be, some of those notifications don't show you the real combat area, mainly if combat happened on a sea province, they tend to send you somewhere else.

Also it might be a bit problematic, that is some fights there will be ticking happening, so there will be only a short time of action, without really revealing anything.

One big problem also: Matches take 2-4 days when they reach their hot phase, hardly anyone will watch a stream that long. What would be needed were probably a supercut of highlights of a challenge, but that would take a lot of effort.
    • Even in a high speed game, you would have to add 1-3 days of prewar phase, so people would need to take holidays for such matches. And also high speed does not really ad tactical depth, it takes away. In 4x times wins who is more active and not who has better knowledge. It is quite hard to pierce a AA-bubble in a 4x times game, because timing is key there.

For real esport the concept of the game would need to be completely overhauled.

For such an esport match you would need to set all production, building and research times to 0, and you would need to increase the resource pools because otherwise you would lose the options gained by the additional production during the peace time. Then I suppose you could make a whole challenge during a weekend, but the combat itselfs would still last. 4x would speed it up even more, but still sceptical if it would add or kill tactical depth.
    • Bring info for games in progress will be a huge improvement. Not necessary a real time info.
      A page for every game in progress with some stats about battles and wars you already have at CoN News.
      Have it improved and available to public can be the first step, and you can progress from there listen public demands.
      One improvement can be done after game ends, with stats, graphics, timelines, comments, scores, and screenshots.
      People will access and know about what are happening.

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die."Jean-Paul Sartre
    • Ok I found an idea to make this possible, but we need a new system by @Germanico :)

E-sports focuses on live screen and action happens in a short time, open to everyone

Disadvantages of CoN alliance matches in the context of being e-sport.
      1- War takes time
      2- Slow events
      3- Hidden units and war scene.

So we can make this happen in such a scenario:

Alliance have a new map, let's say, stadium med map :), like the elite one

This map can be almost the same with the med elite map.
      However, when the peace time ends after decided time (such as 7 days) the war scene reveals to the viewers who want to see the war action in time. Since the units are revealed to anyone, the strategy needs to be revised and this new dynamic can provide a new environment to all of us. Alliance leader makes plan accordingly. And all noobs (sorry) see the battle and learn new tactics and alliance chamber becomes competitive.

Being slow issue can be handled with speeding up the map. For example, the map might be 6x (or something like that) to make it fun for the viewer. I personally would have wanted to track all matches if we have some.

If we can have this, in the beginning this new game won't have much audience but in time it gets growing and ı seriously believe CoN will have more audidence/player than the current one. In the future we maybe make tournaments by using this feature.

What do you think, I am just thinking aloud :)