Ethnic unification

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ethnic unification

all of us know that there are Ethnic groups everywhere in the world and while they battled between themselves quite a lot in the past its often to unify this ethnic group, i say that unification of certain areas should bring slight morale boost to this region, or the opposite, if its controlled by other player/s a morale debuff. (for both sides only on that region)
      take for example germany and austria, two countries ethnically very close yet austria is an independent country.
      in a case of a world war like the game in game just in real life high priority of germany would be unifying it self with austria, as history have already proven.
      to encourage real life-like interests and conquering priorities i suggest adding those little morale boosts/debuffs (around 3-6) or even add a map filter that shows ethnic regions
      A Third War Approaches, and the Strong Will Rise from the Corpses.
      A New Order... CHAOS
    • Hello, i would be against it for two reasons :

1°) It forces to add a layer of data, which is ethnic groups, over the map. It's complicated, and is basically a new feature.
      2°) The feature is perfectly fine in itself, and reasonable, but i can smell from here a very special kind of people to be drawn to feel they are legitimate with certain displays of idea in the newspaper, or here.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

Hello, i would be against it for two reasons :

1°) It forces to add a layer of data, which is ethnic groups, over the map. It's complicated, and is basically a new feature.
      2°) The feature is perfectly fine in itself, and reasonable, but i can smell from here a very special kind of people to be drawn to feel they are legitimate with certain displays of idea in the newspaper, or here.
      1) i fully understand that those kind of suggestions take a lot of work, that's why they are suggestions for now
      2) i don't know what you mean
      A New Order... CHAOS
    • I'm sure even today ethinic groups are a just as important as in the past, take for example britain that lost a portion of it self cause its cause this portion want to be recognized as ireland rather than great britain.
      It simply always plays a part in politics and war

also what is HOI
      A New Order... CHAOS

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hollow Light ().

• Hollow Light wrote:

Opulon wrote:

1) i fully understand that those kind of suggestions take a lot of work, that's why they are suggestions for now2) i don't know what you mean
      He means that potentially racist, toxic, trolls, maybe even completely innocent people may put articles in the in-game newspaper or through messages that can be counted as hate speech. Motives in the game will change from the strategy of invading a country to invading a country because of their ethnicity. Sure, people can already do that, but it's not in the game.

Once it goes from countries to ethnic groups, the game suddenly becomes more of a matter of race or ethnicity than the countries and their respective governments. It becomes "The Yellow Asians invade the White Europeans", rather than "China invades the European Coalition". And people can and will take advantage of this in bad ways I am sure.
    • i think you didn't understand my what i meant well i meant ethnic by tradition, things like kinds of food, different cloths, holidays, things that people can change if they want to, even nationality can change! not things like skin color or unique name.
      i'm talking about things that separate a region from the rest of the world but can change without the people changing,
      i know it doesn't matter much but i want you to know this isn't racist in any way
      A New Order... CHAOS
    • Don't worry, we know it.

It's just that it's exactly the kind of feature that would be exploited.

I mean, to make the HoI comparison, the Historian and Sociologist in me would love to have an system that emulates the social disasters created by mass repressions, goulag, concentration centers, and all. it's not inherently problematic, but it's an pandora box.

(here, i take an exagerrated example, of course)
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • I would also like to point out that intricate features such as the ones mentioned above make most sense in single player experiences. We deliberately reduce these to allow for more PvP.
      That is actually why I referenced Hearts of Iron etc because in my opinion Paradox games would actually benefit from a serious and meaningful integration of crimes against humanity. Essentially playing a sterile version of WW2 seems somewhat outdated in a sim that otherwise even calculates such minute details as the temperature adjustment of migrating infantry ....
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • HoleInRightWing wrote:

Hollow Light wrote:

Opulon wrote:

1) i fully understand that those kind of suggestions take a lot of work, that's why they are suggestions for now2) i don't know what you mean
      He means that potentially racist, toxic, trolls, maybe even completely innocent people may put articles in the in-game newspaper or through messages that can be counted as hate speech. Motives in the game will change from the strategy of invading a country to invading a country because of their ethnicity. Sure, people can already do that, but it's not in the game.
      Once it goes from countries to ethnic groups, the game suddenly becomes more of a matter of race or ethnicity than the countries and their respective governments. It becomes "The Yellow Asians invade the White Europeans", rather than "China invades the European Coalition". And people can and will take advantage of this in bad ways I am sure.
      How it is different from what's happening now? Just because instead of muslims go home we get yankee invaders poison to Islam or referencing others like infidel nations or whatever. I know that doesn't affect ethnicity or can even be considered part of role-play - because you are not necessary playing for your own country so no reason to take that personally but it is similar anyway. Or am I wrong?

P.s. though I kinda understand what you mean considering that those references I read in the news when tried to play Middle East Crisis first time lol
    • We can never avoid it.

But some could point fingers at the company for being too... laxist, even indirectly tolerating it. PR. Volatile thing
    • Terrorism is a thing. Race is not. It's overcome and there is only one current subset of our species: homosapiens sapiens. All others are history.
      We may have different skin color or religion but that does not make us a different race.

Ethnicities there are plenty but if we'd simulate them then we would also need to simulate the economical and political reasons why they are used as decoys to further nationalist interests. And that's where we really need to draw a line as wargame.

Lastly: as the designer of this game I do not believe we want to make this topic part of our experience.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf