Upgrade the Air War

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Upgrade the Air War

Hi there,

It's funny, in a game as slow as this (which I like), I also like directing Airforce units as that is more of a real time mission in this game (instead of the set it and forget it style for ground troops). Controlling squadrons doing this and that and the tactics and strategies around it is fun and can keep you interested while you wait the 24 hours or whatever for your ground troops or navy to move around. So I was thinking of ways to make this more fun...

Altitude settings: Air units could have 3 altitude settings, Low, Medium (default), and High altitude. Aircraft can switch between altitudes on the fly, but the switch takes time relative to their level (climbing and/or diving abilities).

- Low altitude:
      • Ground attack missions (ASF, Strike & Helos) take place at low altitude.
      • AAA is most effective at low alt
      • SAMs are less effective at low alt.
      • Theater Defense is not effective at all.
      • Aircraft & Helos fly the slowest at low altitude
      • Ground based radar does not pick up low altitude aircraft
      • Heavy Bombers cannot fly at low altitude
      • Aircraft flying at low altitude can see, pick up on air based radar, and attack aircraft flying at Low and Medium altitude
      • Aircraft flying at low altitude can not see, pick up on air based radar, or attack aircraft flying at High altitude
      • Aircraft flying at low altitude can attack aircraft flying at Medium altitude but their performance/damage is negatively affected
      • Aircraft flying at low altitude are not auto-spotted over friendly territory unless spotted by friendly units.

- Medium Altitude
      • ASF, & Helos cannot attack ground targets from medium altitude (perhaps at higher levels they can)
      • Strike Fighters can attack from Medium altitude but have their damage negatively affected (compared to low)
      • Heavy Bombers can attack from Medium Altitude
      • AAA is less effective at medium alt
      • SAMs are most effective at medium alt.
      • Theater Defense is less effective at medium alt.
      • Aircraft & Helos fly their default speed at medium altitude
      • Ground based radar picks up medium altitude aircraft
      • Aircraft flying at medium altitude can see, pick up on air based radar, and attack aircraft flying at Low, Medium, and High altitude
      • Aircraft flying at medium altitude can attack aircraft flying at Low altitude and their performance/damage is positively affected
      • Aircraft flying at medium altitude can attack aircraft flying at High altitude but their performance/damage is negatively affected
      • Aircraft flying at medium altitude are auto-spotted over friendly territory

- High Altitude
      • Only Heavy Bombers can attack from High Altitude but have their damage negatively affected slightly (compared to medium)
      • AAA is not effective at all at High alt
      • SAMs are less effective at High alt.
      • Theater Defense is most effective at High alt.
      • Aircraft fly their fastest speed at High altitude
      • Helos cannot fly at High Altitude
      • Ground based radar picks up High altitude aircraft
      • Aircraft flying at High altitude can see, pick up on air based radar, and attack aircraft flying at Medium and High altitude
      • Aircraft flying at High altitude can not see, pick up on air based radar, or attack aircraft flying at Low altitude
      • Aircraft flying at High altitude can attack aircraft flying at Medium altitude and their performance/damage is positively affected
      • Aircraft flying at High altitude are auto-spotted over friendly territory

The concept of altitude and the bonuses of higher (or lower) altitude for your missions would make running a strong air campaign more fun IMO.

Another addition would be city based AAA. Basically it's just another build option in your city build menu, upgradable as any other structure and destroyable of course. Lower levels would add a small amount of damage to attacking units (if there were altitude abilities then they could be scaled for those as you level them up, i.e. L1 only is only minimally good for low altitude attacks etc)

I can go into more detail here, but Would like to hear feedback first. :thumbsup:
    • won't it force people to have all the kinds of ground-air defenses just to defend from one kind of threat?
      also all of those ground-air defenses already have purpose of their own (missles heli aircraft)

i do agree though that the air aspect of war can be enhanced
      A Third War Approaches, and the Strong Will Rise from the Corpses.
      A New Order... CHAOS

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hollow Light ().

• I like this, and changes like that (more or less) are discussed here some more times.
      It would need a complete review ogf the game mechanics and (worst of all) woutl be major affecting the code.

If things like that will ever be implemented (as i hope) this will be a long run, beginning after the mobile version is finished....
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dorado Games
      DE - Team Lead
      Conflict of Nations

"That was not me, it was already broken!"
    • I generally like the idea, but adding more micro is a tricky thing in CoN, considering how a lot of people play it. Generally speaking, defense is favored because you don't want to login the next day to find your nation wiped out by some measly army (more so if you've spent money on the game). Implementing your ideas in a way that is meaningful enough to be interesting without punishing players who login once or twice a day is the ultimate challenge here.