TOPGUN UPDATE (190523)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• to give back to Caesar what is to Caesar, Efreet proposes this kind of "anti-helicopter" sub-role for the cruiser since eons ^^.

If Cruisers get good at anti-helicopter, then yes, i prefer my frigates to "not trigger at freaking at all" against helis.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • 8) 8) 8)

Potential 'do something with X' balance of NPA will surely provide chain reaction ( considering that Frigate could be a naval SAM, and Cruiser could be a naval MobAA):

1. First thing - currently I feel NPA can't effectively destroy ballistic missile submarines( BMS ), because they seem to be too tanky and combat takes place on large distances. So I propose to boost NPA's anti-sub damage to 6/8/10 and lower BMS's hp to 20/30/40. But then, there is no reason to master BMS ( and there is no reason now, to be honest ), I think BMS must have stronger surface ship damage 5/9/13 - strong progress, but no attack bonus from terrain. It won't be only launch and run unit, but it can also attack hostile fleet. This change could create a hard dilemma what to master - Attack submarines (cruise missiles), or BMS (ballistic missiles).

2. Second thing - NPA could have more sonar range - 75/125/175 to rival with AWACS at the ocean or make perfect duo with it. But... Only if it's possible in the 'framework' that sonar only detect ships and submarines ( to avoid using it as universal low budget radar ). By this sonar range adjustment submarines are weaken. So, Cruiser, Frigate, Carrier should get 1/2/3 anti-sub damage ( only symbolic ).

3. NPA's 6/11/13 damage to surface ships no more needed, 6/8/10 is ok, I guess.

Summary:

I see NPA as unit that is similar to 3 units - AWACS(recon), NSF(offense) and ASWHeli(anti sub) but mediocre in all things. It starts from relatively high level of damage - 6|6, still low on hp. Mastered offers nice range of detection, nice alternative to AWACS but naval specialized. Also could offer comfortable sub tracking, I hope so.

Thoughts:

I feel that I proposed very similar balance to NPA last year. I'm beginning to wonder is balancing is an art. 8o Btw. to precede some noise. I remember discussion before boost to submarines. "They will be op!" - As you can see - no, they are not, because they must stick to deep water and 75% battles are near the coasts. 'No one uses them' - yup, because they are good in specific conditions. So I believe that cure to a problem is making submarines so dangerous, that no one dare to move across Atlantic without NPA scan, as it always should be done. :thumbsup:
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

• I still find uses for both airstrips and airports. In a province that you build an airstrip in you can only build lvl 3 hospitals for only 3 hp a day. In an occupied city you can build lvl 5 giving you 6 hp a day. This is still viable and makes building airports more attractive but it depends on the situation. In vast lands with cities very far apart (Russia, China, Brazil) using airstrips in provinces may be the best idea to bridge the gap. But especially for air support healing i will always choose to build (or repair) them in cities for the benefit of healing them faster.
      The art of war is chess, not checkers. Don't rush all your pawns into the fray leaving your king undefended.