DEVELOPER DIARY 13: LOOT N' SHOOT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DEVELOPER DIARY 13: LOOT N' SHOOT

+ + + + DEV DIARY: ENTRY 13 + + + +

In case you haven't heard or seen our last developer diary announcing Seasonal Leaderboards, you can read up on that here to get a better idea of what we're talking about.

Seasonal Points

Seasonal Points reflect how engaged you were during a Season. Just like with regular player ranks, your combat stats contribute to your overall Season Points. For the first iteration of Seasonal Leaderboards, individual player rankings are recorded. Seasonal Alliance Leaderboards are scheduled to be added down the line - bear with us!

These seasonal points contribute to a Seasonal Unlock, in that once you have attained enough of them you have the possibility to claim your S. Unlock.

Seasonal Units

Every Season features a new, special unit!
      • This unit will be available to everyone throughout the Season.
      • Once the Season is over, the unit will only be available to players who reached the minimum Seasonal Points.
        • Security Council subscription is required in addition to earning the required points in order to permanently unlock the unit. (We have plans to reduce our Security Council pricing by 33% off its current base price.)
        • SC is NOT required to earn points.
      • Seasonal Units can be researched and mobilized ingame just like any other unit.
      • Seasonal Units are not merely skins. These units are balanced from the ground up with unique features and strengths!

As we've seen this question popup when we first announced Seasonal Leaderboards: There are no current plans for Alliance S. Leaderboards to unlock alliance specific units (although we think it's a great idea - consider it added to our wishlist). This means that it is up to an individual player to earn enough points and unlock the Seasonal Unit.

And as always, your feedback and enthusiasm fuels our days/nights and we thank you for being a part of the special family we call CoNmunity.

//Your CoN Team

Please remember that everything shared in the Dev Diary is WIP and always subject to change
      Dorado Games
      Conflict Of Nations

The post was edited 3 times, last by Yak ().

• "

[*]Seasonal Units can be researched and mobilized ingame just like any other unit.
      [*]Seasonal Units are not merely skins. These units are balanced from the ground up with unique features and strengths!"

Oh !
      [*]
      [*]This is very interesting but.... a bit dangerous, no ?
      [*]
      [*]It calls for a "League of Legends" effect, no ?
      [*]
      [*]After, well, of course, won't complain
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Looks like Naval AWACS with Ballistic Missiles on board wasn't a joke. :D

Seriously, I like the concept of seasonal rank ( easier to find a good ally ), but I wonder how points will be counted, and I hope It will be something like destroyed-to-lost units ratio in pvp (maybe some penalty amount for inactivity), instead of how many games player started. :whistling:
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

• Yak wrote:

• Once the Season is over, the unit will only be available to players who reached the minimum Seasonal Points.
        • Security Council subscription is required in addition to earning the required points in order to permanently unlock the unit. (We have plans to reduce our Security Council pricing by 33% off its current base price.)
        • SC is NOT required to earn points.

Unit won without SC will be unlocked for such a non SC player for how long?
      Good move with pricing, I might even buy some, current price is ridiculous IMO.
      When will it start more or less?
    • My main concern, but it opens a door to monetisation, is that despite all efforts to balance units, it's probable that at some point we will have an unit that we will consider to be "really above the others". If such things happens, there must be an alternative way to "unlock", or purchase, an unit.

In a private conversation with Kalrakh, he expressed the concern for challenges too, and i agree ^^
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • I see there some effort to make Security Council more attractive which is a good direction. We have two commercial tools here : SC and 'gold button'. Personally i like more if there will be Tier 4 Terminator infantry available only to SC member if It will lead to 'gold button' slowly disappearance. So, maybe that concept isn't so bad.
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

• As Opulon already mentioned, my biggest concern about those seasonal units is:

How will they affect Alliance Challenges? Even more Elite Alliance Challenges?

Will new alliances be at a serious disadvantage, because their players missed those units and have less tools to play with?

Will they be disabled for both sides or enabled for both sides, if one side has them unlocked?

In general speaking, newer alliance will also get a serious disadvantage in attracting new players, if they missed some seasons. (In the case of the integration of seasonal units.)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kalrakh ().

• Opulon wrote:

My main concern, but it opens a door to monetisation, is that despite all efforts to balance units, it's probable that at some point we will have an unit that we will consider to be "really above the others". If such things happens, there must be an alternative way to "unlock", or purchase, an unit.

Kalrakh wrote:

How will they affect Alliance Challenges? Even more Elite Alliance Challenges?

From my understanding it looks like your concern is that these units may be inbalanced via stats, which will not be the case. But being competitive players I also get the feeling that you are concerned about the meta and how these units can (over time) be abused to have a very specific playstyle which can topple any strategy. I cannot give you a clear-cut answer about this as tweaking and balancing changes are always involved when such updates come, but we do not have any intention to make these units imbalanced, and more so we do not intend to break the meta. Given the timely nature (3 months per season), units will have enough time to settle in and find their place both in meta and in balance. On top of this the way units will be released will keep the meta in mind.

Of course discussion is always encouraged, feel free to share detailed insights you have about what exactly is worrying you. In due time, there will be means to achieve previously featured seasonal units, but for the time being SL are the main priority.
      Dorado Games
      Conflict Of Nations

• At this point, of course, we don't have "precise" worries, so it's more a warning. I know that you won't make over the top things like

"LOOK AT THIS UNIQUE GOLDEN SUB SKIN, with 50 ATK AGAINST Navy", but let's imagine an example of what i may see as "potentially problematic" :

CAESAR (french artillery system) to replace mobile artillery : It's an unique T3 variant of the mobile artillery, that has 50% less HP than the normal variant, but moves 1.5, has bonus in forests, and 90 range (vs 85)

It may seems interesting on the paper, but it's potential balancing hell, for two reasons :

1°) Not everybody has it (which is normal)
      2°) It will be hard for lambda players to understand the subtleties of unique units.

Now, of course, i expect that the skin units you anticipate will be similar to "doctrine units", aka units with a +1/+1, and it's okay.

Mostly, my feedback was more "please don't get carried away with cool units with "too cool stats", in order to avoid the league of legends effect with new champions