COIN aircraft/Light attack aircraft and Ground attack aircraft, official promotion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• COIN aircraft/Light attack aircraft and Ground attack aircraft, official promotion

Well, the idea of Counter Insurgency aircraft/ light attack planes as well as ground attack aircraft such as the A-10 have been knocking about the forums since day 1 of the game. Finally I had a bit of time to put the progression and my ideas for the units together. @Germanico @Lord Aodhan what your thoughts on these?

The idea behind the COIN aircraft, is a light weight, cheap and easy to operate attack aircraft. Usually focusing on soft targets. I have made them with balance in mind too. They have weaker anti infantry stats than heli gunship. And comparable anti armor abilities. But obviously have the edge in speed being an aircraft, as well as range too. Early draft and lots to mess around with till its perfect :P

(Just for reference when looking at stats)
      Infantry, Armor, Aircraft, Infra, Surface (naval),Subsurface (subs), missiles, helis, population damage

European COIN/Light attack aircraft and Ground attack plane

SIAI-Marchetti SF.260
      5/2/1/0.3/1/0/0/3/3
      x x 2 x x x x 3 x
      range 575
      Pilatus PC-9
      9/3/1.5/0.3/1/0/0/3.5/3.5
      x x 2.5 x x x x 3.5 x
      range 575
      EADS Mako/HEAT
      13/4.5/2/0.3/1/0/0/4/4
      x x 3 x x x x 4 x
      range 625
      AMX International
      9/9/0.5/1.5/1/0/0/2/4
      x x 1 x x x x 2 x
      range 700

American COIN/Light attack aircraft and Ground attack plane

Air Tractor AT-802U
      5/2/1/0.3/1/0/0/3/3
      x x 2 x x x x 3 x
      range 575
      Beechcraft T-6 Texan II
      x x 2.5 x x x x 3.5 x
      range 575
      Boeing T-X
      13/4.5/2/0.3/1/0/0/4/4
      x x 3 x x x x 4 x
      range 625
      Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II
      9/9/0.5/1.5/1/0/0/2/4
      x x 1 x x x x 2 x
      range 700

Russian COIN/Light attack aircraft and Ground attack plane

Yakovlev Yak-52B
      5/2/1/0.3/1/0/0/3/3
      x x 2 x x x x 3 x
      range 575
      TBC @Lord Aodhan
      x x 2.5 x x x x 3.5 x
      range 575
      Yakovlev Yak-130
      13/4.5/2/0.3/1/0/0/4/4
      x x 3 x x x x 4 x
      range 625
      Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot
      9/9/0.5/1.5/1/0/0/2/4
      x x 1 x x x x 2 x
      range 700

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu

The post was edited 14 times, last by Oceanhawk: Updating and improving ().

• →→→→→

Ocean

----

(What a beast)

- TBC -

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu

The post was edited 14 times, last by Oceanhawk ().

• RasczakRough wrote:

@Oceanhawk
      This sounds like a great list! What will make COIN and CAS aircraft different than strike fighters and helicopters in the game stat-wise?
      Silly me, I have to do the stats

well the COIN aircraft will be targeted towards infantry. And be cheap and easy to produce

The ground attack aircraft, will have much less air to air and air to surface (naval) abilites compared to the strike fighter. But will have bigger anti armor and anti infantry stats.

Expect a first draft of stats shortly XD
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Samuel PM wrote:

Do not forget the Super Tucano A29 (EMB-314)

:D :D :D
      Sadly no room for it in the tree

its Brazilian XD
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Stats being updated ^^
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • RasczakRough wrote:

@Oceanhawk
      This sounds like a great list! What will make COIN and CAS aircraft different than strike fighters and helicopters in the game stat-wise?
      Basically, for the COIN aircraft. They will be rather similar to the heli gunship. Good anti Infantry abilites and weaker against armor. The COIN aircraft can be a good replacement for those in likes of south America, north america and africa where range is going to be a bit more important for them. And heli gunships may not always be able to fufill the mission.

CAS aircraft will have attack abilites just stronger than a tier 2 striker but less than a tier 3 striker.
      They have strong armor and infantry stats but are able to have these, while lacking decent air to air stats as well as air to ship. They also do not have radar.
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • BoeingJet wrote:

But ain't that like strike fighter? These could be slower and unlocked earlier in the game tho.

You might wanna start thinking about the upgrades between the planes.
      For the COIN/Light attack aircraft? Not really, they are focused on soft targets IE Infantry, and have very little air to air abilites.

The Ground attack planes? Well not really, they lack the air to air abilites of the strike fighter as well as the speed, range, radar.

Yes, I will once I get the stats finalised and some more feedback
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • BoeingJet wrote:

Can you even say the A-10 is "light attack?"
      Or trainer aircrafts tho.
      Maybe instead the A-10, it could be A-6 Intruder since it is less OP in most ways.
      Also, I think your unit suggestion is too "old". They are not really new and all prop powered.
      The A-10 is the ground attack... the light attack was refering to the advanced trainers, which are the level 3 COIN aircraft
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • TheSaracen wrote:

im glad to see this thread, its a better start to a good move for the game than the extended arguemnet about an A-10 being a strike fighter. well articulated and conceived by Oceanhawk.
      I appreciate that, thank you :thumbsup:
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • BoeingJet wrote:

Can you even say the A-10 is "light attack?"
      Or trainer aircrafts tho.
      Maybe instead the A-10, it could be A-6 Intruder since it is less OP in most ways.
      Also, I think your unit suggestion is too "old". They are not really new and all prop powered.
      I couldn't disagree more. The units are not too 'old' the game time frame is from 1965-2015. Prop powered is part of the CAS COIN role. They can travel at low air speeds to engage ground targets, An F-18 or F-15 can only strike ground targets with AGM missiles. I think Ocean hawk should build in the Bae Strikemaster in the euro set and the a-37 dragonfly in the US set.

I would also suggest tweaking the stats for a higher infra and civilian attack. Many of these aircraft have a decent bomb payload, as well as missiles, rockets, and a bevy of guns.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • @War-spite the strikemaster, the dragon fly, yea that could work. But there isnt really a whole lot to add for the RU tree.

And stats, give me your feedback on the stats
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • @Oceanhawk the IL-28 "Beagle" carried, according to Wikipedia, the same amount of bombs on a normal mission as the Yak-130 "Mitten" is able to, and served from the 1950s until the 1980s. Maybe it should go in the middle slot?

Unfortunately, I'm not in a great position to give statistic feedback at the moment.

Maybe if these are implemented @Germanico, it's just these planes and helicopters that ought to be based out of Forward Operating Bases?
      "The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand."
      Sergeant Zim, Terran Federation
    • edited out.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.

The post was edited 1 time, last by War-spite: <removed because it was pointless> ().