Sandbox Game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sandbox Game

Is there a sandbox version of the game available to purchase? I find parts of the game extremely enjoyable but I also find parts of it phenomenally frustrating. The waiting times for everything from moving units to building and mobilization means far too much waiting about for my liking, especially early on, and the scoring system is either far too complex for me to figure out or simply does not work correctly. My main issue however is (some of) my fellow players, in particular fellow coalition members. I think joining a coalition is essential to give yourself a realistic chance of finishing a map on a consistent basis and this is where the problem lies. I have had 3 separate coalitions fall apart in recent times with the finishing line almost in sight. Whether its laziness, greed or just plain lunacy, and while they can add so much to the game, coalitions can also ruin it and 3 in quick succession means I'm rapidly falling out of love with this title. Alliances are an option but I wish to retain the ability to walk away from maps at any point so joining an alliance and making a commitment to other players is not something I want to do. I would quite happily pay for a downloadable version of the game provided I have the ability to change some of the map settings such as game speed, starting units/buildings/resources as well as points required for victory and I suspect I’m not alone. I can't be the only player who craves the chance of full world domination or seeks a more active experience early on and I simply couldn’t afford the gold needed to do this on a regular basis. I think €10 is a reasonable price for a base version which gives you the standard big and small maps as well as the ability to edit map settings, any more and you are potentially pricing yourself out of the market given what else is available in the genre. A €5 DLC could be offered which includes all specialized maps and an annual update for a similar price for new maps/units/features would be ways to generate further/continued revenue to compensate for the loss of gold sales for these off line version. An alternative would be re-opening the ability for members to create their own maps if this was easier than creating a downloadable version. Custom maps could be limited to 5 per month’s membership, maps could be reset at any point during the month after which they are locked in and would expire once that game comes to an end. You could put a limit on them of 120-150 days to prevent a build up of never ending maps. I see great potential for the game and the unit variety is a particular draw but with maps usually finishing inside 30-50 days there is never enough time to properly develop an army without exposing yourself to higher level units, which is another frustration. I don’t want to discard this title completely but I do not possess the mental fortitude to continue playing as things are so hopefully custom/private maps can be re-introduced in some capacity, even if we had to purchase them and install on our own machines.
  • Chief Dc wrote:

Is there a sandbox version of the game available to purchase?
    Hearts of Iron is pretty much exactly that, otherwise I doubt that devs will waste their time on creating an offline version, the core of CON is the human factor in these games after all, tho i'd love to see some sort of testmap for alliances

Chief Dc wrote:

The waiting times for everything from moving units to building and mobilization means far too much waiting about for my liking, especially early on
    There are 4x games available almost all the time, but imo the speed is just right considering the matches are 24/7 online but you can't be,

Chief Dc wrote:

My main issue however is (some of) my fellow players, in particular fellow coalition members. I think joining a coalition is essential to give yourself a realistic chance of finishing a map on a consistent basis and this is where the problem lies. I have had 3 separate coalitions fall apart in recent times with the finishing line almost in sight. Whether its laziness, greed or just plain lunacy, and while they can add so much to the game, coalitions can also ruin it and 3 in quick succession means I'm rapidly falling out of love with this title.
    Not everyone likes the exhausting lategame or sometimes ppl think they can just turn it into a solo victory... i dont really see a problem with this, you have to be careful which ppl you want to trust considering you're all strangers to each other

Chief Dc wrote:

Alliances are an option but I wish to retain the ability to walk away from maps at any point so joining an alliance and making a commitment to other players is not something I want to do.
    You can always make friends or ask ppl on the official discord or even in the forum to play with you if you think you can trust them more this way, public matches have an awful quality in general

Chief Dc wrote:

I can't be the only player who craves the chance of full world domination
    this is the "git gud" part

Chief Dc wrote:

alternative would be re-opening the ability for members to create their own maps
    ppl just used these maps to farm stats and they still cost dorado money for the servers :p
    I am The Baseline for opinions
  • @Teburu Thanks for the input. I have Hearts of Iron, it's a different game, I was looking for a sandbox of this one. The main difference/attraction to CoN vs HoI is CoN is based in modern times with modern units. I'm aware of the 4x games but they don't address all my concerns. When I say 'fall apart' I mean go to war, you mentioned one such scenario where someone tries to take the solo win right at the line. I'm the kind of player who will sacrifice their own game to prevent someone from doing this without hesitation but it's something I seem to be doing far too often lately. Taking the time to establish a group of trusted players seems too much effort IMO, an Alliance would seem an easier route but as I said I do not wish to make that kind of commitment. If by 'git gud' you mean 'get good', skill level has nothing to do with the vp's required to win a map and even with a full coalition it is not possible to conquer the entire map, that's what I meant by full world domination but maybe I should have said conquer instead of domination. Something I didn't say in the original post, the custom maps would have no effect on stats or rankings, so this would prevent people from abusing the system that way. @Germanico if this is completely dead in the water, fair enough, I had kind of anticipated so but said it was worth making the post before walking away entirely but so be it.
  • Chief Dc wrote:

Taking the time to establish a group of trusted players seems too much effort IMO
    Well then you shouldnt complain about the backstabby nature of public games :D, imo it doesnt really took that long to find some ppl to play with, but then again i was introduced to CON by a friend, anyway i recommend checking out the CON discord.... who knows maybe you'll find at least 1 or 2 ppl you're comfortable playing a few games with

Chief Dc wrote:

If by 'git gud' you mean 'get good', skill level has nothing to do with the vp's required to win a map and even with a full coalition it is not possible to conquer the entire map, that's what I meant by full world domination but maybe I should have said conquer instead of domination
    If you're in a coalition of 5 you pretty much have to conquer the whole world tho i get your point there

Chief Dc wrote:

Something I didn't say in the original post, the custom maps would have no effect on stats or rankings, so this would prevent people from abusing the system that way. @Germanico if this is completely dead in the water, fair enough, I had kind of anticipated so but said it was worth making the post before walking away entirely but so be it.
    Major point with custom games is probably the fact that dorado would have to pay for every single one of them
    I am The Baseline for opinions