Rising tides -> straight to archive

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rising tides -> straight to archive

Well...I have read the tutorial (which does explain a lot about the new dynamics - if there are any)

and I have tried the map.

Apart from having so few ressources that it is hard/slow to research anything beyond 3 units with the starting ressources and having some lvl 5 units at the beginning...and stronger insurgents...
      There is really nothing that stoped me from putting this map to the archive on day 2. - Maybe its fun to play this with 4times speed...

The domes you have dont seem to have any economical advantage -about military I cannot say as noone attack me.
      The same for the 5 special buildings.

Only nice thign is that nearly all cournties are now having the same amount of cities...so no country that really dominates.

Question: Did I miss anything special to this map?
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Apart from having so few ressources that it is hard/slow to research anything beyond 3 units with the starting ressources

I mean thats for every map tho? You just dont have the ressources to research a ton of stuff :D and research is as fast as always
      unless ofc you pick one of the smaller nations they usually dont have as many ressources to start with ... but thats for every 128x map

As for stronger insurgents, well i havent had so many encounters with them this far but they really dont seem that much more troublesome than the normal ones; they just have a ton of health

kurtvonstein wrote:

There is really nothing that stoped me from putting this map to the archive on day 2
      putting a map into archieve on day 2? isnt this a bit too early :D

Overall i really like new geography of the map and the focus on naval warfare that comes with that.
      As for Domes, imo they're a bit underwhelming as the only thing they give you is victory points which doesnt really add to much in terms of gameplay itself
      Domes could for example offer a higher base production of their respective ressource or maybe grow destinctly faster compared to normal cities but idk
      As for victory building i cant really say too much about them; they probably make for a more interesting lategame but thats it

kurtvonstein wrote:

Did I miss anything special to this map?
      Probably the uninhabitable areas; there are some areas on the map which are pretty much dead land, there are no connections leading through tho there could be more of them imo
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • This map just is a bit slower then regular. Here is same resources amount as earlier, but big countries are divided and really lost their advantage in resources, except some cheaters like Australia for example :)
      - here required new strategy and this map really allow to do this
      - here is "navy" paradise, cose now ships may bombard almost all cities in the world
      - high level of starting units make small countries or countries ruled by new players more "tough" and difficult to conquer fast.
      - suppose here exactly may build factories over 2nd level and prepare for long time game.
    • So far, i love it.

The biggest problem of the map is the players, that are awful at using their assets properly (for god sake... they give you a bunch of highly defensive units in the early, that allows you to sleep relatively well due to how strong they are compared to their counterpart in attack... DON'T SUICIDE THEM)

I've yet to find an use to domes indeed. Maybe in late i will make them "anti-missile" center ? I figure, as it's a building, that it could be changed to become an heavy city booster (which could reinforce some of the smaller countries that do have one).

As for the strategical points, my coalition keeps repeating itself that we will take them once we wave crushed the rest of the world as in any other game.

Those points not providing anything beyond VPs make them very much avoidable. I mean, "we know we must take it", but... "why should i dispatch a task force to take it, before i'm sure no one can ever contest it ?"

TLDR : Awesome Map Design. High level starting units = Great ideas. Domes are beautiful and interesting in terms of "mechanism" but pretty useless from an early-mid perspective. Nobody cares at all for strategical points
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • yes, to point out the positive part of kurtvonstein message, one of my members, that deliberately avoided 128 overkill maps because of the gap between small and big country, pointed that the map was more enjoyable due to the smaller gap, and the starting high level units
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Well the only critic from my part is, that I really dont see all the new fancy strategic possibilities...because this map gives you 33% less ressources on your homeland cities as normal maps.

Means the game will start slower as the other ones (as mentioned in 4x speed it might even be a good speed). Dont know if players stick to the game...

But what I am missing is some really good use to the new features like domes and the 5 victory sites.

And just because everyone has the same lvl 5 untst-...you still get players to a rush with them...success only depends on how smart the rusher is and not senidng them 1 by one...

A stack of 10 x lvl 5 inf can not be stopped by 2x lvl 2 inf defending a city.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • I deeply agree with you about how this map gives some mid-tech units that should be cared as if they were the 8th Wonder of the World (as they are an big guarantee of survival, if used well), and most players waste them in assault, making the careful dominate even easier when the fight becomes a "lvl 5 infantry" vs "level 1 infantry".

It's the case i'm encountering in my map.

I have the slight hope, though, that gradually, people repeteadly getting wrecked in suicide assaults would, long-term, learn a bit more of restraint.

"But what I am missing is some really good use to the new features like domes and the 5 victory sites."

Yes. From the discussions we had, they do have plans or ideas for them. But they weren't willing to test "too much things at once".

It's the problem with over-ambitious projects : when it fails, you don't know why well, and when it succeeds, you know why even less.
    • I still like the map.

My first is nearly over (at least for me ^^). but this wasn´t fault of the map, but of choosing wrong allys which fell inactive one by one, leaving their leader alone to be gangraped...
      This could have ben the outcome on every other map so i don´t care.

Lower Ressource production is a point which might lead to long running games. I like it, but i´m not sure if it might lead to high inactivity becuase the aggrokids are lacking action.

The Strategic sites are quite interesting. I tend to adopt Opulons POV. Beat evrything on the map, and then collect the Sites uncontested, but maybe the additional points would lead to a more strategic Endgame gameplay.

The Domes (hmm i own one, didn´t win the game for me) might adopt the role of a missile safe hotspot. Can be a production or Ressources HUB. No sneaking in and vanishing a Nukefactory under a dome with CMs *sigh*

Until i can give a more detailed review, kudos for the Map Layout. I like this dystropic scenarios, and now i can drive there and try to dominate everything,... I feel a little like a warlord in MadMax, ;)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dorado Games
      DE - Team Lead
      Conflict of Nations

"That was not me, it was already broken!"
    • Maybe reducing the vicotry point requirement a little bit? So the strategy points get more important? Maybe so you need only 4 strategic points and not all 5 to win?

Holding all 5 strategic points means you have to dominate the map - this is relativly similar to a normal map.

It's only a thought ^^

...or only 3 strategic points as victory requirement...so that everyone has to care about this points relativly quickly. But then you have to the reduce moral malus per nation, you are at war with. If everyone fights for the stratetic points, you are in war with many nations quickly, I think.
      But 3 is maybe to less, I dont know - maybe then it would make sense, that you have to hold a strategic point for 48 hours first, until the strategic point gives you 1000 VP (similar to the recharching of complexes).

The post was edited 8 times, last by Hancock ().

• Germanico wrote:

@kurtvonstein what's your agenda? Do you believe this is helpful or encouraging?

We have quite exactly the same amount of resources on the map as overkill. Fact. I saw the comparison charts.

If you don't like it don't play it. Or wait till we iterate.

//G
      This is exactly what I am doing...and I said so in the post. To get back to the core of my question: Whats so special about it. And please lets get the emotion of of the conversation.

Given the fact that you are spending developer ressources on this I was just a bit disappointed (after all the fuss in the news).
      Now I am really looking forward to the mobile version (hoping it doesnt leech as much data volume like the browser version) - because you need to know there is a big amount of players in germany and having 2GB monthly is already a big issue pricewise in this beautiful Country(in dem wir gut und gerne leben) - .
      Its not like Australia where you get 30GB monthly for 30$. ;)
    • @kurtvonstein Constructive Criticism are like well-designed medication : often sugar coated to not be immediatly spitted by the individual you want to help :p.

About the mobile version, i share your worry, and i know the topic has been discussed. Now, we can only see "on the field" what i will be, and improve it in the future. Beyond the data usage, if you need too much RAM to load it and/or 30 mb of data to load it without cache, less lucky areas without 4G will be faced with harsh "connexion timeout" issue :D