Strategy to survive the first few days

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Strategy to survive the first few days

When starting a new map how is everyone surviving the eager onslaught of early land grabbers?

I'm currently NK and both China and Japan have decided to invade me, despite my attempt to join a coalition with the former X( Going for the ZSU has been my saving grace for now as its taken care of China's fighter and even took out 2 Japanese infantry units. But any advice on what strategy/set up I should be going for the next few days?
      I have 20,000 gold available and have used it to speed up infantry mobilisation but lack money for the market and China is currently building up landing crafts off Pyongyang.

Help please
    • If you're NK and both China and Japan decide to simultaneously invade you right away, survival is going to be pretty tough. Unfortunately, that's kind of just a matter of being outnumbered/outgunned.

In general, though, I find that the best ways to survive early onslaughts are to concentrate the units that you have, make use of the defensive bonuses of cities/bunkers/combat outposts, position your artillery, etc.

If you've taken out the Chinese fighter and you have a standing ZSU, you might want to invest in helo gunships to deal with the incoming infantry. NK is small, so they can get to wherever you need them, and they're pretty effective and relatively cheap. Also, corvettes to take out the incoming troop transport ships.
    • NK is very, very bad choice for this game, same as SK. Both are very opened from all sides, both are very compacted to have some time for reaction and both have natural strong competitors near. So try to avoid NK/SK as home countries.

And yes, Fereyd said only way you have for NK. Gunships are first units you shall build and they are extremely effective against rushing infantry near owned airbases due to huge "soft" attack value.
    • I don't like calling any nation a "very bad choice". Sure, some are more challenging/difficult than others and may start out at quite a disadvantage, but I think it can still be advantageous to practice doing the best you can in such situations. I often pick smaller, disadvantaged countries when there are bigger, richer countries available. In fact, the one time I played as North Korea, I had a very good early game (I believe I was eventually defeated sometime after Day 30).

As I said in an earlier response, it sounds like the original poster was in a situation that would have been very difficult to survive. I'm not denying that. I just want to make sure we're not sending people the message, "If you get North Korea, just quit, because it's a 'very bad choice'." I'd encourage anyone to try to do the best they can with any country they get, regardless of the advantage or disadvantage with which they start.
    • next time like say RAF choose wery carefuly with nation used to registration allmost

1)europe is about rush and not be rushed posible make quick big empire and posible be deleted in day 2 or 3 ...

2)amerika is not so many nation most nort is wery shit for economy most land not many citi (means USA and canada ...) south is better but most problem there is about forme coaly ( together is about 10 posible in close range player so not evry time is what choose to take anybody in coaly becose inactive .necomunicative or total noob (and many time is noob player with rank 50 still ...)

3)asia russia china some like USA shit economy target almost country open for invade or when is navy country is to much near land country type so left new zeland or australia for navy ...

4) afrika almost not so much rushed almost country not have so many neigbours ... so posible wait one two day where enemy go strike ... and rush enemy and his target when is both weak from war
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

I don't like calling any nation a "very bad choice". Sure, some are more challenging/difficult than others and may start out at quite a disadvantage, but I think it can still be advantageous to practice doing the best you can in such situations. I often pick smaller, disadvantaged countries when there are bigger, richer countries available. In fact, the one time I played as North Korea, I had a very good early game (I believe I was eventually defeated sometime after Day 30).

As I said in an earlier response, it sounds like the original poster was in a situation that would have been very difficult to survive. I'm not denying that. I just want to make sure we're not sending people the message, "If you get North Korea, just quit, because it's a 'very bad choice'." I'd encourage anyone to try to do the best they can with any country they get, regardless of the advantage or disadvantage with which they start.
      A completly agree Ihave won 7 of 9 games (1st hadnt a clue) and only other non win was 2nd overall and cut a deal with other mai coalition just to end game to save my coalition countries.

On Europe map have won with Syria (3) and once with cuba (they are both like in the mid 20's in VP starting off.

On World Map won with Myanmar (really tiny) compared to neighnors india nad china. Came in 2nd other time.

On Mid east map had two wins (1 with Ethiopia) other India (which is small start on mideast).

On regional maps I start with strateggic corner countries dont care starting size. Like countries that have limited early opponents and cant be blindsided.

On World map I got stuck with myanmar and liked it as natural bay defense to south easy to defend coast. Large mtn ranges defend or make hard to get attack from north. One game partnered with India and took out thailand and other vice versa.

Key is to be able to keep your back to the wall with terrain or ally and fight out. IF you get surrounded its hard to fight off.

Regardless of maps go with countries with tight cities as can defend with Air easy and can build logistics and move troops easy. People want to go wih big boy countries like russia; china; usa but its like defending 2 to 3 countries from the get go. especially Russia as have like a dozen border countries. USA you have to defend from west / east /south (asuming can take out canada).

But key is either make alliance with immediate neighbor or attack them. Im aggressive so if I start say Myanmar and I see Thailand still on a auto country without owner Im attacking ASAP and if luckey take out a city or two before hes active (Same with Syria I take out Turkey) sitting and waiting just invites attackers. But Im a best defense is a good offense strategy.

Starting small requires an early aggressive approach to gain occupied cities make up lack of starting ressources.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

On Europe map have won with Syria (3) and once with cuba (they are both like in the mid 20's in VP starting off.

On World Map won with Myanmar (really tiny) compared to neighnors india nad china. Came in 2nd other time.

On Mid east map had two wins (1 with Ethiopia) other India (which is small start on mideast).

On regional maps I start with strateggic corner countries dont care starting size. Like countries that have limited early opponents and cant be blindsided.
      You are wrong here or dont understand what we talking about ...
      In fact:
      1) Syria is one of best choice to start for active gaming because its in reach for resources Arabian peninsula (in short range are very large amount of cities), further you may expand to Europe which also isnt far away.
      2) Myanmar isnt best, but also isnt worst choise, cose very close are Vietnam and Thailand for early expansion, further may expand to India and Indonesia.
      3) Are you serious ?) India is best choice in whole world ever :) for both gaming style, active or passive. Its abundant for resources, close are reach regions, mountain borders and 2 ports only. Also its far away from danger competitors.

We are talking not about size, mate ... it dont has matter . We talking about complex of issues around country.
      Secondly if you are ready by online 24h / day in game, you may choice any country to play and win for it, its not your "mastery" issue, just some experience and luck. Usually only 1 or 2 persons have huge online in each scenario, so they are winners also.

Regarding NK, its really very bad choice especially for new gamers, because:
      - you shall be online almost all time to be able to react, starting from first day
      - you have almost auto war against SK and Japan in first day.
      - you dont have good directions for fast expanding (SK and Japan are near only), China and Russia are very disadvantageous targets.
      Of course if you have total inactive neighbors you may survive and won.

Overall god choice for gaming is:
      1) India is best for any style as I told earlier.
      2) Any country in Europe always is good for active gaming (lot of time online)
      3) Middle East is same good as Europe for active gaming, any country (Israel, Syria, Iraq and etc)
      4) Middle side of Americas is good for any type of gaming (Cuba, Venezuela and other close)
      5) Australia, NewZealand are best for passive gaming (mostly offline)
      6) Africa is good choice for active gaming (any country) and intermediate choice for passive gaming.

Sure in each scenario is different situation, but right choice will help in 80% of them.
    • Raf; you didnt read post not all countries are the same on all maps.. ie india much smaller on mideast map. wasnt talking world map. And said Syria was a good country on Europe. But most overlook and go for big countries.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp