Tactics: How to defend island Nation from early rushers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tactics: How to defend island Nation from early rushers

Hi,

I recently played Japan and got rushed by a stalker from an other game seeking revenge - taking all of his starting troops and invading me from Ethiopia. - but that's not the topic here.

Not asuming on beeing rushed in the night from so far away - and having NAP with my neighbours. I had build some ships to defend my Island position and stationed them on strategic points. Everything out of the book. So i felt pretty safe. But different to land combat the ships don't fire on passing units. Means anyone can build a massive stack drive past your ships and invade you (while you sleep). Loosing the capitol on the 5th day usually is game over - you never catch up on the consequences.

I have to asume that my stalker will continue a while longer with this tactics...so I have to find counter measures. But how?
      You simply can't put enough units into your cities to defend against 12 inf + recon.

How do you defend you island nations effectively?
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Corvettes are probably the easiest answer. You can research them quickly and cheaply, but they still require Level 2 naval bases and level 1 arms industries. If you're a Security Council member, you can set your ships to aggressive fire, and they will fire on any enemy ship (including troop transports) that comes into range. Keep them in shallow water near your port cities. The best way to deal with stacks of infantry coming to your island nation is to never allow them to step foot on land. Sink them in the water before they disembark. If you have fire control, you can set your artillery to fire at approaching enemies as well. If you get to submarine production, position your subs strategically in deep water shipping lanes that lead to your country and set them to aggressive fire control as well.

If you don't have fire control and you're asleep,... I guess the best thing you can do is to just build up what infantry forces you can in your cities and maybe build bunkers? Ships set to aggressive are going to be much more effective, though.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PerigeeNil ().

• I would also go for corvettes.
      I´m not 100% sure, buit I think if you put them direclty on the shore, they will lock invading forces in combat.
      (the moment they finish disembraking is the moment when war is declared, in this moment the corvette is still in contact and locks ;) )
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dorado Games
      DE - Team Lead
      Conflict of Nations

"That was not me, it was already broken!"
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

If you're a Security Council member, you can set your ships to aggressive fire, and they will fire on any enemy ship (including troop transports) that comes into range.
      Do ships on fire control also shoot on ships that a not in war but within fire range? I have to try this out...
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

ok thanks for the adivse...if they lock them in place and they stay within embarkign mode..that woudl be perfect....still japan having 7 harbour cities...you can't build 7 corvettes.

You don't need a corvette for every city. Post corvettes to defend some, and double up troops in the others. Remember that your opponent starts out with limited troops too. They can't send large stacks to seven cities simultaneously. You can put corvettes in some and outnumber them in others.
    • Fereyd wrote:

I would also go for corvettes.
      I´m not 100% sure, buit I think if you put them direclty on the shore, they will lock invading forces in combat.
      (the moment they finish disembraking is the moment when war is declared, in this moment the corvette is still in contact and locks ;) )
      As far as I know (sow discussion here in forum about same issue), war will be declared when enemy forces already unloaded on your lands, so any navy stationed near you port cant lock enemy units, they are able open fire to unloaded enemies only , but this is navy against land units already. So "corvettes blocking" tactics dont work.

Here is no effective islands defense for offline time sadly. Even if you build bunker, place there lot of infantry and destroy invading enemies, you will loss your city's buildings, population and morale.
      Best what I can do if I want defend owned islands in first game days is build fast some navy (of course corvettes are faster way, but frigates might be ready 1 or half day later only and arent resources wasting as corvettes) and try to patrol most danger sea routes, you may also use initial fighter you have for this purpose. If you find any neutral forces, moving to your side, just destroy them at once by navy.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

. I had build some ships to defend my Island position and stationed them on strategic points.
      How do you defend you island nations effectively?
      easy you must know it that strategic first point is evry PORT .. so build ship and stacionary there so nothing passed becose when try make invade start fight with ship
    • Ground units in every port city/province; corvettes parked right next to those same port cities/provinces. Throw in some bunkers and/or military outposts with some long-range artillery, and your island essentially becomes so high-cost to take that people tend to leave it alone until later in the game. But you can't just sit around and wait for them to come back at you. You need to have naval units ready to counterattack your attacker's coast cities, with maybe a sub or two off each province port. Also, don't discount some Lev. 3 rockets. When stacked, those guys are a nice little addition to any coastal defense.