Air to Ground Ordenance Improvement: Bunker Busters

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Air to Ground Ordenance Improvement: Bunker Busters

Hi!

New to the forum, I've been scrolling trough it the last few days and found quite some interesting topics to learn from.

Here's my ideas for possible game improvement on following updates.

Bunkers are a great idea, I found them very realistic in the way they improve survival for units within a certain city, and also the ammount of damage they take to be neutralised: All of this confirmed by real combat experiences in ( for example) Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc...

In fact, I believe they could be made into yet another kind of terrain improvement for provinces, perhaps specially available to insurgents, etc...

This things are A THING in real modern combat, no doubts about it.

Now: In real life, there is precisión, bunker-busting ordenance specifically designed to deal with this kind of fortification. It goes from unguided, relatively simple munnitions - like the russian BETAB-500- to the most advanced pennetrating, laser-guided GBUs

How about designing a new tech to be developed, in order for the players to be able to deal with these treats in mid-to-late game?

For example: it could start with the most simple types, and then follow-up progresively all the way up to Thermobaric warheads, just as MOAB or AVBPM : Those latter ones would be able to inflict considerable damage even in hight-resiliance bunkers such as Lv 4 and Lv5, while also causing casualties to civilians on the ground ( and then dropping your morale).

They could be expensive, such as cruise missiles are: That way, players would think twice between using them indiscriminately, keeping them in reserve instead, til'' the right target appears.

On the other hand, this leads me to wonder, if laser-guided ammo such as GBUs or KBPs themselves could not be developed in order for mid to-late game fighter-bombers to drop them on specific targets inside an enemy's cities, and not just blasting trough the whole of it as it is now.

Of course, this ordenance may be made available only to those bombers, and not every kind of attack plane on the map.

Finally: They could be included as a developable tech in the same tab as -for example- warheads and missiles are already.

In any case, just an idea, hoping it may be of use.

Also: perhaps this subjetc was brought up before and -if that's the case- sorry for the inconvinience.

Also: Excuse my poor english :P

Greetings

Ernst Schloss

PD: About Thermobarics, they could also be made into a weapon only heavy bombers can carry, adding another reason to develop them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vassily Zaizev ().

• Well, I don't know about missiles, tough some ALCMs have a degree of piercing capability.

I was thinking more about bombs. Not necessarily stand-off weaponry, tough that could come later in the tech-tree.

Also, not only ignoring entrenchment ( I think "entrenchment" means a different concept, more like a unit ocupying not just one fortification, but a series of them, as -precisely- trench lines are) but causing huge damage to the bunker itself along with the units protected by it.

So much, that in -let's say- a couple of strikes, bunker could be gone, and units on that zone, particullary damaged as well.

With this kind of weapon beig expensive and hard to develop and manufactured ( and also, enough to pierce up to X level of bunker, for example level 4 bunker-busting pierces up to level 3 bunker, or so, as an annalogue for actual bunker-busters tonnage) it could be assured they would not be over-used
    • The following units ignore all entrenchments and bunker:

Heavy bomber Tier3

Infantry Officer from lv3

Air Assault Officer

Tank Officer

Spec Ops (The invisible Infantry)

##

Your idea already exists in the game, bunker busting units do exist.

To destroy actual bunkers, take any unit that deals a lot of damage to buildings (such as the heavy bomber lv3).

I don't think it is doable for the Devs to make an unit only deal damage (or deal most of its damage) to bunkers.
    • Well...yes
      and no :)

There are some units that ignore entreanchment, but they are not an specific designed ordenance ( just as cruise missiles are) designed to damage bunkers.

First of all, they are not strike planes, so they lack that versatility. Of course Heavy Bomber tier3 is "kind of" a strike plane, but is not a one unit you would use in a tactical air campaign ( unless you have complete air superiority) and even then it's a waste of resources, bombers are strategic assets, expensive, and in real world you don't risk them unless you are sure you won't be lossing them.

It's like using a SSBN to attack tactical land targets: unrealistic ( as least from my point of view)

Besides, this ordenance would provide players with anti-bunker capabilities earlier in the game. Unlike HB tier 3.

It's a capability -for example- many NATO Members have, but most of those NATO members just don't get to have intercontinental-strategic assets: Bunker busting is more tied to an Operational air campaign, such a Desert Storm or Kosovo.

SpecOps and officers are just special infantry: yes they do ignore entrenchent, because they get inside ( due to their training and preparation) but they are not units you can rely on in order to wage such an air campaign.

( To clarify: I believe they tend to represent more like a modern Tier 3 or highter SPecOp would hunt for a terrorist leader into the Mountains, inside a bunker complex, for example. But you wound't send thousands of SpecOps in order to destroy a countrie's underground industrial base)

Finally, I'd like a weapon wich damages bunkers while being used, in situations where those bunkers would normally recieve little damage . Thus, a different "ordenance". Wich damages bunkers, and units, but not necessarily everything around them.

Cheers :)
    • Vassily Zaizev wrote:

Finally, I'd like a weapon wich damages bunkers while being used, in situations where those bunkers would normally recieve little damage . Thus, a different "ordenance". Wich damages bunkers, and units, but not necessarily everything around them.

First of I don't think what you are proposing is doable in this game's engine (making an attack target a specific building) But 'm no game dev so don't quote me on this.

Balancewise/gameplaywise I don't think it's that good of an idea, bunkers are a costly affair right now, (if I draw comparisons to CoW and Sup's forts)
      Especially higher levels. You already use them very situationaly and I fear if there comes a hard counter to them, people will just give up on them,and the same as the bunkers, just by existing the bunker buster will hardly if ever be used.

Now if bunkers get made cheaper and more attractive to build (slightly higher morale buff for example) I see not alot of problems with it, but, while a nice nod to realism and a flavorfull adition to the game, I see bunkerbuster ammunitions easily become one of the, if not the least used "units" in the game. It's just too much of a one trick pony.
    • Halv0r wrote:

Vassily Zaizev wrote:

"... I see not alot of problems with it, but, while a nice nod to realism and a flavorfull adition to the game, I see bunkerbuster ammunitions easily become one of the, if not the least used "units" in the game. It's just too much of a one trick pony."

Thanks Halv0r, you put it plain clear :)

Yes, I do see them kind of a one-trick pony, specially usefull at (for example) taking cities without demolishing everything on them, and on a realistic way.

So...yes IT CAN be acomplished with bunker busters: You'll just have to spend a lot of time and resources into it, while possible sacrifycing the chance to develop another thing instead.

Would you? Well, it depends on the player I suppose.

I would :P

Greetings mate.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vassily Zaizev ().