Battle Formations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Battle Formations

Let's see how much legacy gets in the way of yet another genius idea of mine :D

Order of battle, where player can choose which units are in the front lines and which are farther behind. This way, we could control which units act as damage soakers and which should be protected in the back lines.
      "Any of you *uckin' pricks move, and I'll execute every mother*uckin' last one of ya!" - Honey Bunny
    • Not sure how support (arty, anti-air, and radar) would be stronger as they are usually in a stack of their own to maximize firepower. My brain fart would not make them stronger, just better protected from getting hit than the "frontline" units in the same stack

If they are in the same stack as direct combat units (or the arty stack gets attacked due to some failure such as inactivity), then the support units would just be the last to get hit, so to speak, i.e. they would not be the ones losing the most HP per hit.

Or not. I'm sure there are situations where it might be needed to have them soak up pressure first. Just wondering about the validity of if it's possible to give players that kinda control over the units in a stack...
      "Any of you *uckin' pricks move, and I'll execute every mother*uckin' last one of ya!" - Honey Bunny
    • 1) definitely not - this is not about pitched medieval battles.

2) we have differing damages depending on the stack composition. We don't punish them but they are very noticable. our just have to experiment a bit or ask some of the veterans.

Some units receive less damage than others as long as they are combined.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • I am not a veteran of any military nor do I have experience with any military save the ones I've managed in computer/video games. That said, isn't that how a large-scale conflict would unfold in the scenarios of CoN, where there would be battle lines led by one's strongest units (e.g., MBTs), followed by whatever support units there may be (infantry, choppers, anti-air, etc.)? This whole idea of mine is based on that assumption: modern day battles have lines/orders just like the old days...

Or am I thinking too fantastical/motion-picturey? 8|
    • Damage variability is devs tool ... used for slight balance if need.
      How far I know exactly support units "eat" higher part of damage in stack. For example AAA, frigates might be killed very fast in stack.

Germanico wrote:

2) we have differing damages depending on the stack composition. We don't punish them but they are very noticable. our just have to experiment a bit or ask some of the veterans.

Some units receive less damage than others as long as they are combined.
      Would be very nice let us know such combinations and overall rules :rolleyes: