OBB: Orders of Battle ( but this one is just about unit names XD )

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OBB: Orders of Battle ( but this one is just about unit names XD )

One thing I would like is for each indivual unit in this game to keep it's "indivituality"

For example: On day 1 I have 7 inf. batallions numbered ( let's say) 1 to 10, with 3 and 7 being armored ( recon) batallions.

How about letting them keeping their original designation, as in games such as the Hearts of Iron Series?

This game chooses to rename them every time I reform them into a new stack. So let's say I group then in a 10-unit stacks ( 10.000 men, actually a basic division) and I built a new batallion, and then get the "1st Infantry batallion" again.?

WUOT?

Why not letting units keeping their name? That name you can keep track of them, or even getting to know ( at least in your mind) the individual combat history of certain units.

My original unit's could then enter combat or not, but they would gain a certain importance for me trough time, as they formed the "core" of my army.

They could get more prestigious for me ( and I'm not agains't them getting a bonus in morale, a or a drop in population morale in case of loosing them). I would also get to form an emotional bond with them. Hey, If it was me and I lost my 1st infantry batallion, I would be really, really pissed off. That strikes to me as an disadvantage an enemy can use, and that's perfectly fair.

ALSO: If you could rename units yourself, you could use diss-information to spread false notions among your adversaries. Example: I re-name my infantry batallion 3 times in certain ocassions I know an enemy UAV is nearby. And move it a province or two. Would He/She know it is the very same Inf. Bat??

Or 3 diferent ones? All around the same area.

( actually, this have been done troughout History like FOREVER. Russia keeps many of it's units OBB "grey" precisely for this reason, as does Israel: Changing or obscuring serial numbers in armor follows the same intention)

Hey...I know that's just me and probably nobody cares much about this kind of stuff. I know...I'm a nerd

But I'm a Military History affitionate. Hey, I remember building my armies in Panzer General 2 based on actual Battle Orders from individual divissions, and not -necessarily- out of what was best to have.

Just because I WANTED to play with a more or less "realistic" Panzer Divission Grossdeuschland, or 4th Shock Tank Army of the Red Banner.

So...while knowing in advance this is not likely to be hight in any of the developer's priority list.

Just as a possibility

Could this be done?

Thanks in advance, guys :)