Strategy: Cuba

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Strategy: Cuba

Cuba seems to be a unique starting nation in the sense that it demands an emphasis on sea and amphibious capability beyond what even the U.K. can get away with. The U.K. sometimes manages to avoid massive naval expenditure altogether with timely exploitation of its narrow Channel crossings. Whereas basic infantry is almost always my first research endeavor, Cuba's unique strategic position has me leaning more towards early advancement in corvette, frigate, and air superiority fighter tech, following with IFVs in order allow amphibious combat vehicles (Cuba's real workhorse, the way I look at their strategic picture). The idea is for corvettes, frigates, and air superiority fighters to protect sea transit routes and scout coastal provinces while amphibious combat vehicles land at will to overwhelm garrisons and leave the way open for basic infantry to seize and hold territory. The liability in this early game strategy is that I won't actually have much if any infantry tech in the early days/weeks, a deficit hopefully mitigated by the fact that amphibious combat vehicles will, ideally, be doing most of the actual fighting. Any thoughts? What are your usual approaches when starting out from such a sea locked nation?
    • When you#re playing an island locked nation you'll have to decide early on if you want to fully commit to navy or not; a dedicated navy will be insanly hard to beat without a navy of your own tho if you only want to focus on one kind of ship i recommend destroyers instead of frigates.
      Your first targets should be other island nations which will make for an easy target with your navy; depending on how much eletronics you have rocketlaunchers or towed artillery for landbased combat are nice as units to take up supplies
      in general im not really a fan of tanks/afvs as they're costing a ton of components that could go somewhere else, more useful
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Guess depends on map.. but I recently won Flashpoint with Cuba. 1st time playing with an island nation and wanted to try new strategies. Cuba is actually pretty easy to overtake USA.. just hit hard and early. cuba has all troops concentrated.. USA all spread out

you can overwhelm miami... as DC airplanes can not cover florida and will take time for US northern city troops to get down and they have to defend against canada. rest of carabian easy auto countries. so advice is to ally with canada and agree to split USA.

Build up Navy and Cuba easy to protect with Helicopters.

Most European countries are not going to bother you for 1st 10 days. focus on getting into mainland USA.. build airfield and get some strike fighters. work way and clear N America.

Will need strong Navy to make landings to take Portugal ; UK or Algeria depending how map is in 5 - 6 days.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • I play a Flashpoint atm,
      our only opponent is Cuba who is really doin good. He had send much on navy and dominated the seas.
      He quickruhsed the US and was a worthy thread,...
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dorado Games
      DE - Team Lead
      Conflict of Nations

"That was not me, it was already broken!"
    • 13o0tylici0u5 wrote:

Cuba seems to be a unique starting nation in the sense that it demands an emphasis on sea and amphibious capability beyond what even the U.K. can get away with. The U.K. sometimes manages to avoid massive naval expenditure altogether with timely exploitation of its narrow Channel crossings. Whereas basic infantry is almost always my first research endeavor, Cuba's unique strategic position has me leaning more towards early advancement in corvette, frigate, and air superiority fighter tech, following with IFVs in order allow amphibious combat vehicles (Cuba's real workhorse, the way I look at their strategic picture). The idea is for corvettes, frigates, and air superiority fighters to protect sea transit routes and scout coastal provinces while amphibious combat vehicles land at will to overwhelm garrisons and leave the way open for basic infantry to seize and hold territory. The liability in this early game strategy is that I won't actually have much if any infantry tech in the early days/weeks, a deficit hopefully mitigated by the fact that amphibious combat vehicles will, ideally, be doing most of the actual fighting. Any thoughts? What are your usual approaches when starting out from such a sea locked nation?
      One question: You have fregattes..What do you need air superiority fighters for?

Reconsider your strategy.. You can basically bomb every enemy coastal city to the ground. from there you move in with basic infantry. They are cheap and fair enough to hold cities from insurgents.
      I never quite found a use of marines other then getting these small island of denmark, spain or england that dont have a harbours- jsut to get ride of moral bonus.
      Because if your dominate the enemy with your fleet - a landfall is basically a done deal.
      So you better spent your ressources (components) on ships and not on amphibous tanks...

For later in der Game you can continue with your choice of landbased army for damage dealing: Artillery or air force. Or you have an ally who is taking care of this - acutally this is were the strengh in coalitions comes from. Dont researhc and build everything. Focus!
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Reconsidering the scenario you are in: You are a island nation. There are no single inf running around they get sunk at sea
      A stack of 5 fregates can seriuosly hamr any helicopters(especially becaus rthey dont do much harm). In a attack they deal at least 2 even 3 times damage when you are lucky. Add a Cruiser and it is game over.
      There wont be any action in the game where there are no fregattes around... talking about attacking the nations that are easy prey: Korea, phillipines, indonesia, UK, Irland, Chile
      Btu even some countries you would expect but are very vulnerable because they have so many coastal cities.
      China, USA, Brasil.

Always remember we are talking about Island strategy. Which mean you always have the have the longest one (talking about fighting range). And thats what you research has to focus an. Get Cruisers and lvl 3 ASAP.
      then you can think about some land combar toys...or let your ally do the job and move to the next enemy coastal city.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Cuba on flashpoint a good country... start building navy and can defend whole country with choppers. Its pretty easu to take out USA as you have 5 -6 cities close together can rally troops faster and overwelm miami early on as its 1 - 2 days march for USA to get down there. Once take USA go up to canada. no europe country coming your way for 1st 7 - 10 days so you have a pretty good economy going on basically a huge island compared to europe. strong navy will keep out attackers.... then keep defense squad s while building assualt force.. depending how map is going hit Portugal (ideal as can island hope to europe) then work up through spain into france ; algeria (south edge of map to back) can then hit spain/france or italy; UK (build FOB in strike of mainland w europe and airspupport).

Cuba on WW3 a little trickier and maybe hit mexico first (then can go north or south) depending on how usa/can/Mex shake out.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • I'm currently Cuba in WW3, but I've won as Cuba in Flashpoint, and it's exactly as you said - easy to defend against assault and you can usually take the whole Caribbean before anyone can move against you.

I've often found that people who jump in as the US tend to abandon; the only problem with conquering the US is it takes you 4-5 days to take the whole country if everything goes well, and even then it's just one country, vs Europe where it's a bit more fraught but you can take over one country and be halfway through a 2nd one in a single day.
      When the going gets weird, the weird go pro - Hunter S Thompson