Ocean's Suggestions/Thoughts on Infantry Overhaul and Adjustments

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ocean's Suggestions/Thoughts on Infantry Overhaul and Adjustments

Howdie all, has been quite a while l since I made a post like this!

So after some recent in game experiences, and some discussions with others, I decided to fire ahead and suggest these changes for the game.

It is largely an addition of a new Infantry unit(s), as well as an overhaul of special forces .. to make them, "special".

Please be sure to leave your thoughts below, love to hear what others think :)

Part 1) Mountaineers

Part 2A) Air Assault Adjustment to timing mechanism
      Part 3) Special Forces
      Part 3A) Maritime Frogmen
      Part 3B) Army Commandos

Part 1) Mountaineers

Mountain ranges are of strategic importance in many scenarios, and are a very difficult terrain to fight in. In almost every army, there are specialized forces for Mountaineering warfare. Like Marines and the Water, Mountaineers are specialized in Mountains. The game currently lacks a dedicated Infantry for Mountain Operations, Special Forces are indeed very effective in Mountain Terrain, however a dedicated Infantry unit, with the capture ability is needed. Below I have made an initial level 1 unit card for Mountaineers/Alpine forces. This was a rough initial draft, and will need to be adjusted.

(I may make a rough unit card draft later on)

Part 2A) Adjustment to Air Assault Feature
      The 1 hour disembarking mechanism for Air Assault Forces, greatly brought a much needed balance to the unit. However, It can can be a nuisance at times, and in many cases, makes Air Assualt forces slower than ground forces. My Proposal, is to give the option to players, to have the Air Assault Infantry have a 1 hour Embarkment and 90 second disembarkment. Or a 90 Second Embarkment and a 1 hour Disembarkment. Giving players better flexibility, without sacrifising the balance to the unit.

Part 3) Special Forces

Make Special Forces more unique, and limited the amount. In reality Special Forces should be a rarer unit a "special" unit.

• Make Special Forces Limited in the same way seasonal units are limited by numbers (perhaps tie it to size of a nation)

Proposal: Maritime Special Forces/Frogmen

Ontop of current special forces abilities/stats
      • Ability to travel in Coastal Waters as Stealth
      • Level 1 Amphibious Landing Ability
      • Stealth when Disembarking
      • Terrain Bonus for Jungle, Tundra and Urban

Proposal: Commandos/Special Forces

Ontop of current abilities/stats
      • Paradrop ability from mentioned above (Stealth style)
      • Ability to see secret buildings when beside/in an enemy city
      • Terrain Bonus for Mountains, Woodland and Urban

Alternatively just add as many of these features to existing special forces, in particular the stealth in coastal waters and stealth disembarking.

Display Spoiler
      /spoiler]
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu

The post was edited 1 time, last by Oceanhawk ().

• Part 1) Mountaineers
      dont really see any need for a new unit there; maybe just tweak airborne inf so they dont get a malus/maybe even a slight bonus when attacking mountains but there isnt really the need for a completly new unit

Part 2) Airborne Infantry/Paratroopers
      sounds to me like worse airborne inf just with more range; tho i think airborne could get a bit more range with each tier like 400/500/600 instead of the current 400/400/500

I dont really see the point of the flexible embarking times cuz the time you need would still be the same

Part 3) Special Forces
      If you wanna limit specops you'll have to buff them in terms of their combat values to emphasize their combat role more; tho i dont really see any point in limiting them from a balance perspective as they're mainly used for scouting rn anyway and as i already said having more types of inf isnt really needed when tweaks to existing ones could do it; it would just clutter the research tab

about stealth in transports: i think thats actually a problem with the code as all transports are visible even if the units have a stealth perk (tho you could give them invisible surface ship as vehicle type instead? :D )
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Actually rethought a lot of what I suggested up above, so forget airborne infantry

Airborne infantry suck in general, rather have a mountaineer force, or perhaps make it a sub unit of motor infantry
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Teburu wrote:

Part 1) Mountaineers
      dont really see any need for a new unit there; maybe just tweak airborne inf so they dont get a malus/maybe even a slight bonus when attacking mountains but there isnt really the need for a completly new unit

Part 2) Airborne Infantry/Paratroopers
      sounds to me like worse airborne inf just with more range; tho i think airborne could get a bit more range with each tier like 400/500/600 instead of the current 400/400/500

I dont really see the point of the flexible embarking times cuz the time you need would still be the same

Part 3) Special Forces
      If you wanna limit specops you'll have to buff them in terms of their combat values to emphasize their combat role more; tho i dont really see any point in limiting them from a balance perspective as they're mainly used for scouting rn anyway and as i already said having more types of inf isnt really needed when tweaks to existing ones could do it; it would just clutter the research tab

about stealth in transports: i think thats actually a problem with the code as all transports are visible even if the units have a stealth perk (tho you could give them invisible surface ship as vehicle type instead? :D )
      Indeed, SF is already specialized in many types of challenging terrain, and nations have specialized forces for many terrain types. In fact, irl, SF is about as capable as specialized units in mountain terrain. Also irl, airborne infantry deploy from their aircraft quite rapidly. Even extremely large air assault operations can get all the troops on the ground in five minutes from arrival at the landing zone. Accounting for helicopter entry and exit, max 30 minutes.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

This is game specific simplyfication :)

Realisticly speaking, one 1 InGame our is hardly 1 hour in the game world, is not really realistic, that a platoon of tanks gets created in about 1 day, isn't it? (1 tank unit is not one tank but as many tanks as you can get manned with the manpower)
      True; however, if the game goes by mobilization, in a wartime situation, that could be done, especially if national reserves are included.
    • Well, up until now, i only played with the eastern doctrine so i can't really tell you much about the other ones.
      So, about the eastern doctrine, you can't research AFVs in Day 1 since they are unlocked since Day 2 (same thing for Tank Destroyers). But the Main Battle Tank is available since Day 1 (despite its somewhat expensive research cost). Though, even with that, the research in itself lasts about a day, so, no gold, no tanks in Day 1.
      I hope that was helpful (even if it is a bit disappointing).