Rules of thumb for how much money (and when) to spend in various categories?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rules of thumb for how much money (and when) to spend in various categories?

I'm playing my first game, but I can't seem to find a strategy guide out there, so please point me to it if these questions have already been answered.

I'm trying to figure out how big of a military I should have, versus how much I should spend upgrading my economy. I've seen many people say you should probably be performing one research a day, so I've at least found an answer to my research question.

I'm thinking maybe a good rule of thumb is to have 2 or 3 units per city you control (obviously circumstances will change that)? Otherwise you're spread out too thin? So once you have those units built (and the infrastructure to build better units), you then push the rest to building your economy?

I started my game by putting a lvl 1 arms factory in each of my starting cities, and a lvl 1 local industry , and then bumped my rare resource city up to lvl 3. I haven't done much since because I started to feel like I had too small of an army, then I got into a couple wars. It's now Day 7 and I think I'm behind on resources.

Also, is it worth building arms factories and local industries in occupied cities and territories? I could do the math, but I bet building a lvl 5 factory in a homeland city is better than a lvl 2 in something that's occupied. A 50% or even 25% hit seems too severe to me to make it worth building, but I could be wrong.
    • Basically you got it pretty right - and of course often your strategy will be dictated by your location as much as your neighbors (and your coalitions).

In regards to research one a day is a good rule of thumb - except in the first day when you can do more (note that some research is very quick to get you started, eg. inf, CRVs, some air etc).
      Same with the buildings - some are fast and allow you to start churning out units fast (Army base 1 and Mot. Inf. for example).

In regards to annexation and buildings in conquered cities - this is only advisable if you are a) either in dire need of one resource type specifically b) you annex first - but this is expensive and amortises ony after 10+ days

One thing to watch out for is the "random" resource spawns (they are randomized at map start) in normal provinces. These can be quite lucrative if upgraded with a local industry - as they produce as much in conquered provinces as in your homland ones. So they will pay off nicely if held for some days.

Another important issue is the connection of morale to resource production. You will notice that the output greatly depends on the local morale - it will go up with time, and the faster the less civilian population damage you cause and the fewer wars you fight. It adjusts daily to the target morale of your nation which uses these factors. and can be manipulated upward locally by building underground bunkers (good for public morale to know that civil protection is cared for).

Hope it helps!

COME JOIN US ON DISCORD AND GET ANSWERS IMMEDIATELY :)

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • I've been playing this game for a while now, and while there certainly are many strategies (and the dev's also continuously upgrade the game), but I will at least give you my two cents worth (though Germanico has already given you his sage advice).

It took me a while to recognize that what really wins long games is the economy. In the early days of a map (say, days 1 - 10) initially what seems to occur is the "mad rush" to acquire territory. Depending which country you are and where you start, you may need more land, cities and resources. I personally try to prioritize an arms industry and then buildings that will enhance that city's resource production (so lets say you have a homeland city that produced supplies; getting arms industry levels 1 & 2, I then may build either an airport, or naval base level 2 if the city is on the coast). Those increase resource production. Sure, its incremental at first but if you can hold out and give it time, building up arms industries to level 5, with added bonus from an airport or naval base of level 3 or 4, really helps you towards maxing out production from your cities (and as pointed out, morale helps too because the higher the morale the higher the output of cities and provinces).

I personally wait to annex occupied cities until I have got them established with arms industry 1 or 2, and other supporting buildings and / or a recruiting center. Annexation is longer and more expensive but its all an investment, right? Just need to ensure that you have time and strength to reap the rewards over time. (a lot of newer players - and sometimes those with high ranks, too - seem to build local industry in provinces with no resources. They only are beneficial if there is a resource there, like rare minerals or electronics etc. Money symbols on a province do not get increased with local industry. For those kinds of areas, I build a field hospital or outpost, which helps increase morale, thus upping the output of the province over time). But at the end of the day, cash and resources will make you a powerhouse, or they will starve you out. I also use the market in the game earlier on, when there are still good deals on things to buy before prices get outrageous*.

In regards to research etc. this is also my two cents: I see a lot of new players seem to go wide and shallow; that is, they may research one of everything. It can be hard to know what you're ultimately going to be facing from enemies, but I tend to try and specialize. I will explain that:

- I personally, if mostly land-locked or with many surrounding countries on my borders, focus on units that I feel will aid me in offense and defense, and then try and get them upgraded down the research tract. I prefer Mechanized Infantry over motorized, and I prefer AFV's over tanks. Anti-tank vehicles can be very useful but usually only after they are air-portable, and higher levels (they tend to be similar to tanks in attack strength / defense by level 5 or 6). A good stack of mech inf and an AFV can be effective for conquering and holding territory. Sometimes I'll add in a Recon Vehicle from my original set of units, but I rarely develop those out because I don't feel they have tons of benefit in the long run.

Sometimes you need anti-air if other players are using a lot of fighters, strike aircraft or choppers. If I need anti-air, I try and develop out the mobile anti-air vice the SAM; again, at higher levels they are decent for both fighters and helicopters which gives you more use for your investment. SAMs are great but only if there are no helicopters around and vice-versa.

If I need to focus on good naval presence, I try and develop the destroyer and frigate. When paired together, they are good as a stack against other ships, can do shore bombardment for you, and also with the frigate it adds an anti-air envelope for your cities or units nearby. I tend to work on leveling that combo up over time. If, after time has gone by and I am in a good position in the game, I may then look at cruisers. Corvettes aren't really worth it in my opinion, only as a stepping stone towards the larger vessels.

When I first started playing I was overwhelmed with the excitement of all the various things you can produce. It was after time and a dozen or so games under my belt that I realized that its really hard (and not necessary) to have "one of everything." As an added bonus, elite units sometimes are very beneficial (the seasoned skipper for the navy, and infantry officer are two I frequently use to aid my stacks in naval/ground forces).

Its a bit of a trial and error - as well as a grab bag depending on who else is in your game and what they chose to do. It can get frustrating because in real-time, the experiment can be drawn out. But I personally like that, because it helps time pass and you can hone your skills as the days and weeks roll on by. But, yeah - all just my opinion here, and what I have seen work for me over time. These days I rarely start a game on day 1 - I mostly look for games days 5 or so, and I grab an abandoned nation and go from there. [*as I said earlier in the post, when I join some games on days 4 or 5 or 6, I tend to find the country has a good amount of cash and I will then buy up needed materials from the market to ensure I have as best a stockpile as I can to either make new units, buildings, or research] Its like a grab-bag, seeing what the person before me had done (or failed to do) and then trying to go from there. A little more challenging sometimes.

I hope you enjoy your journey in the game!
    • depends on
      1- the map :
      flash point is sure much sorter so economy will not be as effective as 64 maps.
      2- where ur country is?
      if u r a navy country I find it great to build economy as u get bonuses from the naval bases u will build combined with arms industry that's quite a production
      3- size of ur country
      for large countries u might not be capable of upgrading arms industry a lot as u only have 1 city
      4- ur starting cities:
      what resources oes the produce? have only 1- electronics city? usually I'd upgrade it
      5- ur research plan and unit composition
      with fighters u need electronics while tanks needs components
      on the other hand if u play defensively with motorized or ng and choppers u will need supplies
      6- ur starting position and neighbors
      are they aggressive ? u might need to build more army to defnd and hopefully counter attack new cities helps production
      they are beginners? u might also expand aggressively (shame on me for running their experience ) if u see no danger
      7- attack vs economy
      new cities offer u 25% production of a city while arms industry gives u 10%
      BUT this city will have low morale further more may be low population due to the war u made to take it so it might get u less than the 10%
      8-city population :
      with high population city produce a lot of resources making the 10% higher than lower populated city
      9-arms industry:
      Lvl 1 arms industry have very fast tor (return over time) I'd always build it in safe provinces (except for the rare case of two oil cities or more that I will delay it.
      from lvl 2 and on they get much less efficient but notice they might make shift in resources.
      I mean they cost supplies and components but may give u rare for instance. which is to consider vs arms industry on rare cities.
      10- Others:
      u might use hospitals very slow rot but high roi(return over investment) so u might build them in airport cities to heal ur plans and give u very productive cities (high population + airport + arms industry).
      annexing should be calculated with care and for highly populated cities usually past capitals and u wouldn't need it in flash point (except with united state being peaceful after capturing cup and Canada ).
    • To me building best economy comes through taking territory (well strategy works for me). But the more you build ; research ; troops everyone is low on resources so have to get used to it. Most maps I start with a medium to small country strategically located and yes smaller economy but usually by day 6 - 9 rising the ranks up the charts of economy through occupied resources. I also generally never build occupied stuff except repair/build Airbase or Hospital.

Early in game be active on market to balance resources (mkt drives up fast with inactive players and/or people still active need same rss). Buy low sell high where possible; someone puts out low resources i snatch even if dont need. also early on building ground troops and research which are Supply heavy and then transition to advanced weapons (Air Strike; Navy; etc) which are Elect/Component heavy so can build those while building up levels of Supplies; Rare and try to save those for research. I try the best I can to keep 2 research going and to me better limit to 4 or 5 key classes of units instead of trying to research 10 different types as the level 4 and above research really pays off. Example if I have 30 inf units yeah not greatest levl 1 against armor but lvl 5 - 6 hold there own and you get added perks/hp/fire power etc to all units already built.

So i try my best not to get in battles of attrition. If units are beat up pull them back and heal (especially Aircraft and build up a central airbase with advanced level 3 - 4 Hospitals. so get 4 or 5 HP per day heal; put a 5 stack of planes their when not needed and basically reclaim a whole plane per day. So stcking planes becomes an art. If have 5 plane stack dont let hp get near 80 pct as will lose a whole plane; so if getting their drop one out to go heal or split stack (ie a 3 stack could get down to 66 pct before lose...2 planes 50 pct etc.) so unless an emergency of being over run better to delay / slow down battles and save troops. this saves you from burning resources replacing units you just built and lost.

Annexing cities.... tough except later in game when get crancking rss and just looking to spend $$ imo.

But everyone's strategies are different experiment with what works for you.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp