Confession of a Gold User – How to use gold appropriately.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Opulon wrote:

A civil conversation about gold usage. My god. It's a jewel

I do have a question, though : ultimately, why to bother (from a gold perspective) to improve the economical basis of your country (through gold, that is). You can't gold population, and you can't gold "time output". To the contrary, the more you gold resources to improve economical basis, the less value you have per "gold resource" click.

For example, if you needed like 2 000 Gold to increase by 5% a output of 1 600, you basically increased the output by 80 per day. Hence, it's roughly 40 days to generate "normally" what you could have had with a single click 40 days before.

Isn't it a "net loss" compared to everything you could Gold in comparison ?

I won't complain, though : this would be the most fair gold use one can imagine.
    A civil conversation is precisely what I had hoped (was not sure I would get it to be honest) for and I am grateful to all who participated in it. Thank you!

Economy and gold...yes I see your point. I always have improved my economy, and it never occurred to me not to and just use gold for resources. I think of gold more as a supplement to economy, vice supplant it. I had not studied it sufficiently to understand if it makes sense and just "thought " it made sense. You give me pause, sir, and now I have think through it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by funchief ().

• First: Thank you for the insides! Very interesting. I want to challenge you verbally (I hope to not meet youiin the game for you will ruin my battle statistics ;) - with some thoughts about your intentions for Gold use and the reasons behind it from my point of view so please try not to take them personally.

Well if you see playing this game as running a business then you should always consider to get the best bang for your buck. I see Goldplayers buying industry in conquered cites. The question is: Why waste the resources. It takes ages for the return of investment. Buy the resources and then buy the troops you need.

If I would spend Gold (which I dont do due to the lack of challenge) it would probably to speed up my normal progress. Like optimizing the units I build anyway. Having the advantage of 100 ranged rocket artillery 1,5 days earlier and so one. Not researching all techs just because I can.

Also for me it is hard to imagine how to loose a game where you spend >1.000.000 Gold. Usually you buy some airforce in early stage and mow down everybody before they can build AA defense. Game over.

But where is the challenge?

You also said you are a soldier. From my experience soldiers are used to waiting...you wait you whole career. During training and the way to battle. Then the sudden burst of energy. And then waiting again.
    Not using Gold for me is like practicing the art of patience. Just simple plain waiting. It makes the strategic and planning component in the game important.

Nevertheless I support the game with a premium account membership. And if i happen to find a Goldplayer I challenge him to spend as much Gold as he can to beat me(which happened 4 times for me so far and I never won). I consider this my contribution to Germanico and his team ;)

Keep up the good work guys! And maybe one day you can fix the building queue...
    @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
  • I must say I quite agree with Opulon and Kurt: buying resources is definitely one of the best uses for gold in value per ounce. On the other side of that, Golding advantages into existence is quite unrealistic and reduces the strategic element proportional to the amount invested. For me to support the game, I would buy gold and then spend it only when I felt it necessary to counter an equally large golder. Personally, I consider it unfair to utilize gold to achieve advantages unattainable by my opponents and therefore elect to avoid such action to preserve my own strategic and intellectual stimulation and ensure a level field of engagement on a strategic level.
  • Stratieon wrote:

I must say I quite agree with Opulon and Kurt: buying resources is definitely one of the best uses for gold in value per ounce. On the other side of that, Golding advantages into existence is quite unrealistic and reduces the strategic element proportional to the amount invested. For me to support the game, I would buy gold and then spend it only when I felt it necessary to counter an equally large golder. Personally, I consider it unfair to utilize gold to achieve advantages unattainable by my opponents and therefore elect to avoid such action to preserve my own strategic and intellectual stimulation and ensure a level field of engagement on a strategic level.
    yeb only gold vs other gold players. the problem is its usually too late as gold early is much more important and I'm not spending more than 3 or 4 resources buy in any game.
    Yeah they are not changing their business model which is surprising that this model has a unique property of limiting the game potential revenue.
    usually players investing money play this game for too long rare to see someone who just joined and append much gold. let's start form neutral start everyone doesn't buy gold. early people starts to buy gold making it harder for newer players to join lowering gold use again by being less fun game and the cycle repeats and stops at some point.

which means this business model will always limit the market share of the targeted segment which is large. the only way to expand is to expand through the market horizontally as vertical expansion is pretty limited due to stability I mentioned above.

Another point that gold in the time being is not compelling for some of the segment to but at all (for instance for me).

Suggested features to make the stability point is a much better position (hopefully larger number of customers).

1- Instead of buy resources give increase ur production for by 10% for 7 days (this is very very trendy in strategy games btw)

2- make the intelligence features as it is but it occurs at day end not instantly ( ik this might be tempting for some to cancel the intelligence before day end for some reason but I think this will not be a major problem )

3- u can add more feature to security council.

4- master builder card allowing u to build 2 buildings at a time in 3 cities at most (this will be a very popular late game card)( u still can keep the instant building feature )

5- u can annex up to 2 cities for gold instead of resources

6-unit production speed increase for 7 days for some gold

7-add a feature to rename cities if u r a security member

8-instant research is also fine

I mean no offense those are just me thoughts on how to make the game more popular.There might be other reasons stopping u from this business model (e.g. no enough staff to mentor if the player num increased or such missing resources).
  • abdul_the_brave wrote:

I mean no offense those are just me thoughts on how to make the game more popular.There might be other reasons stopping u from this business model (e.g. no enough staff to mentor if the player num increased or such missing resources).
    U

Im..were is the improvement? Not to click 3 times if research is 18 hours?

As I mentioned earlier (and we are making onyl suggestions here so please no ban Germanico).

I would pay to have a Gold Free round to make sure everyone is on the same level. I would savoir this round this and enjoy it - by quoting @Stratieon on the right term - as a intellectual stimulation.
    @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
  • kurtvonstein wrote:

abdul_the_brave wrote:

U
    Im..were is the improvement? Not to click 3 times if research is 18 hours?

As I mentioned earlier (and we are making onyl suggestions here so please no ban Germanico).

I would pay to have a Gold Free round to make sure everyone is on the same level. I would savoir this round this and enjoy it - by quoting @Stratieon on the right term - as a intellectual stimulation.
    he can't get too much resources to keep researching he will be ahead with one research max early may be at day 27 or so he will do like 5 or more a day. but u know till high production phase this is not a huge advantage and yes golder need some advantage

Another solution is to give them a third slot? for 1 weak for some gold?
  • any thought of wager matches instead of players buying/using gold ..... its not really gambling but like fantasy sports leagues can charge a fee and winner gets proportion. I know fine line before being labeled a gaming site.

Say 30 players in a $$ Flash point map with $5 entry fee but make gold disabled in this game ..... Winner gets 50- 66 pct of pot (rest to devs/site or even $75 worth of gold to account to void cash payouts; coalition could split based on VPs). Think this would be hugely popular and competitive. That would guarantee $75 profit by site without crapshoot of 90 pct quitting and maybe 1 or 2 people buy a bit of gold.

Not saying to do on all games but maybe 10 pct of games?? I guarantee people would play harder and not quit making for a real good game. If every play online poker the difference between free games and even a $5 game are night and day.

Yes Developers can say.. this is our model.... take it r leave it. But smart businesses listen to ideas from their customers and generally profit more if they do.
    "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
  • "Yes Developers can say.. this is our model.... take it r leave it. But smart businesses listen to ideas from their customers and generally profit more if they do."

There is actually, at least in the startup world, a HUGE lot of management and business lessons about "don't listen to your customers too much, they will kill your company" :D

(
    Of course, i picture it this big only for the joke. On the general approach it's important to discuss pragmatically. About your proposal, interestingly, Dorado has already tried something in those waters and there was no really impact on activity. When people feel they are losing on CoN, it seems they rage quit even if they paid to enter the map. Also, every paywall means less population on the map. In the case of the experimentation conducted by Dorado, the "more commited" people that paid to enter the map were not able to "make it up" for the 75% empty map.

I agree that if a player could "win the pot", it would make it more competitive... but here, you are proposing "75 $" per map to Dorado, which is very inferior to their expectation of a good public game where people shoot Gold by the hundreds.

I suppose that you want to compensate the "per capita income" loss through volume, but here is the business problem : Transitional income from quality to volume is risky, and tends to have low odds of success (which is why it's attempted, in other areas, when things are dire. And things are not dire for Dorado)
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Opulon ().

• was just throwing out $$ .. obvious would have to make it profitable break even points / splits (and like i said maybe 10 pct of games not all). But on a flashpoint map i would doubt they make $75 per map. At least i havent seen it. get maybe 1 - 2 players who spend a bit day 1 but $75 is a lot of gold but ive never bought more than $5 at a time ;) I truly would be shocked if people spent $100's on a flashpoint map. I have seen and beaten people who do that on a world map and its actually fun picturing them breaking out the credit card.

Case in point just started a flashpoint to try a new country / strategy and day 3 ; 19 of 30 countries went AI almost at earliest available time. like these countries did nothing but sign in .. maybe build one thing and never checked back.

of 11 Countries 10 besides me have sen activity on a most and based on cities/buildings and what they are losing 9 of 10 not spending gold.

Had 1 country complain about another country day 2 and looked yeah obvious he spent decent gold as annexxed and auto built two cities. But ranked lvl 1 and a day later hasnt done anything and the complaining country took back that 1 city. so estimate maybe he spent $10ish. and somehow he figured out to buy gold before he figured out how to play...lol he was building up Industries in prov without any resources.

now you have a map 75 pct idol pending new owners who 50 pct of them will quit too. so as it is now it appears all the dozens of flashpoints games per day are mostly idol ghost towns taking up server resources.. but just one mans observation from flashpoint games played...
    "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

• right whole idea was to make it a more profitable map option for experienced players (whom based on other threads like the map) not replace the territorial just used as an example as smaller # of players. and again not saying to do it on all games but may a small pct or games and not open to entry ranks .

• fine join flashpoint day 3 game with like 19 slots open ;) well there are 12 of them with 19 slots open ..lol so #3096824

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Pale Rider ().