How good are Missiles really?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How good are Missiles really?

Yay so welcome to part 2 of my questions helping me on my quest to find out what units I ought to use based on my play style.

I often don’t bother with missiles, because I find I don’t use them often. The only time I used missiles, I lost (but that was more due to a badly-timed Attack when the enemy was approaching the peak of military power). However, I have realised that late-game, there are a number of countries which spam missiles at each other.

So the question is, how good do you think missiles are?
      Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
    • depends how long you think game going to be? small maps dont bother unless have spare resources. on apocolypse map need them as start with nukes. having ability to send nukes even with strike fighter lvl 4 saved butt. conventional cms do less damage than just bombing with strike fighters .... save for heavy armor or ships. but anyone knows a little bit will have anti air.

Never used ICBMS .. but having ballistic subs can station centrally and respond to any major emergencies in region with decent punch even conventional. but not being able to target troops takes some good timing.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Agree with the other posts so far; I generally just stack some solid missile defense once they start coming out; these are technically favored in Western but not that much stat-wise. Any AA is actually a decent counter to the missile spam, it's just that TDS is really effective once the heavy stuff comes out. There is also some important strategy with unit stack size, combat coordination, and recon once the missiles start coming out. A good strategy for fighting the staggered decoy attack technique is to split the AA up into multiple groups, with the heavier anti-missile AA being farther back, preventing a single mass group being destroyed by, say, a 1CM+1ICBM.
    • Cruise missile can devastate a stack of hard targets with no air defense, but are a waste against infantry. They can be used by timing vs reload to help bring down a Naval stack that doesn't have at least 3 frigates, but aren't really worth it unless you research at least up to the 5 hp level.

Ballistic missiles on the other hand are awesome if you have ballistic missile subs. In a few games I basically used ballistic missiles to devastate the enemy's homeland city production with them, and empty them out as a prelude to invasion.

ICBMs, meh, wicked powerful but take forever to research and build the necessary buildings to make a launcher.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Indochina Union wrote:

Next: How good is the AWACS+ Bomber combo actually?? I saw a lotta people tried this in Flashpoint and WW3. Is it stronger compared to the ASF or full Cruiser meta?
      Depends what you use it for. Of course, a few ASF could easily obliterate AWACS + bombers, and they say destroyer fleets are more powerful than cruisers adjusting for price. I always counsel balance in alignment with doctrine, so Western ASF + AWACS/Bomber is a solid combo, although ground radar is great too now.
    • Indochina Union wrote:

Next: How good is the AWACS+ Bomber combo actually?? I saw a lotta people tried this in Flashpoint and WW3. Is it stronger compared to the ASF or full Cruiser meta?
      Never seen Awacs+Bomber combo; imo to expensive to be worth it; tho stealthbombers seem like a nice unit for lategame
      you cant really compare them to asf or cruisers tho; as they each have different tasks
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Stratieon wrote:

Depends what you use it for. Of course, a few ASF could easily obliterate AWACS + bombers, and they say destroyer fleets are more powerful than cruisers adjusting for price. I always counsel balance in alignment with doctrine, so Western ASF + AWACS/Bomber is a solid combo, although ground radar is great too now.
      cruisers are perfect for navy early on tho; they're just not that good of a lategame investment
      wouldnt really use normal bombers tho except maybe as missile platform; they're too slow and vulnerable to directly attack enemy cities with them, especially against an active player
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Agreed. I do use bombers, but also primarily as a missile platform and generally on the fringes of enemy territory. As a missile platform they provide VERY nice range, and with a starting capacity of two missile each, a stack of 5 can immediately fire 10 missiles. That combination of range and capacity makes bombers my preferred missile platform. If the fired missiles have done sufficient damage to clear the way for bombers, I sometimes then finish off with a bombing pass.
    • Teburu wrote:

Stratieon wrote:

cruisers are perfect for navy early on tho; they're just not that good of a lategame investmentwouldnt really use normal bombers tho except maybe as missile platform; they're too slow and vulnerable to directly attack enemy cities with them, especially against an active player
      True, but Western gives bomber a nice little infantry damage buff that's excellent for trouncing inf spammers. I suppose that's the utility of the AWACS + Bombers combo: AWACS gives the eyes to find the target, bombers give the punch to knock it out.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Stratieon ().

• Stratieon wrote:

Of course, there is also the less well known use of leveling cities with them; a five stack of bombers doing 25 building damage can take out almost any building early to early mid game, and multiple bomber wings attacking a city - absolutely obliterates buildings and morale, along with any troops happened to be stacked there.
      not really as leveling a city with bombers mean no air defense and usually such a city can be captured. the other method was to use conventional cms of high lvl 3*5 =15 cm with good damage and u don't have to go back to the airport wait 12 hours and repeat
    • bombers best for city destruction and inf i recall... tried them once and got shot down in about 10 min....lol. But on Flip side Every Heavy and Enemy has tried against me has been destroyed in short order.

But Can start building multiple strikes much faster and i hardly ever loose those... soon as part of stack gets beat up.. branch off damaged planes to a central Airbase with as much Hosp lvl as can .. if you get 4 - 5 HP per day times 5 planes ...you recharge fast. then replace planes that may have gotten beat up when these were healing.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Stratieon wrote:

Of course, there is also the less well known use of leveling cities with them; a five stack of bombers doing 25 building damage can take out almost any building early to early mid game, and multiple bomber wings attacking a city - absolutely obliterates buildings and morale, along with any troops happened to be stacked there.
      Goodness I was once playing in a late-game coalition v coalition fight and the opposing coalition had a most deadly combo... Anti-Air + Bombers! Anti-Air made all my ASFs useless, while the bombers ran over our cities and destroyed all the buildings so we couldn’t produce any more units.
    • 737373elj wrote:

Stratieon wrote:

Goodness I was once playing in a late-game coalition v coalition fight and the opposing coalition had a most deadly combo... Anti-Air + Bombers! Anti-Air made all my ASFs useless, while the bombers ran over our cities and destroyed all the buildings so we couldn’t produce any more units.
      u had no aa no sams?