Annexation: Incredibly Overpriced,or Intentionally Underpowered?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Annexation: Incredibly Overpriced,or Intentionally Underpowered?

Annexation is an extremely expensive investment; it costs so much of every resource in the game, and generally, a nation will be handicapped in production of at least one resource. This thread is to ask whether or not annexation is just so expensive that it's almost never worth it except for one or two cities, or if annexation is intentionally relegated to only being useful for acquiring a few cities in the late game; hence the two questions of the thread:

1. Should annexing be repriced, or give more value?
      2. Whether or not, what is the value of annexation?
    • not indeed firstly he does an effect I call " resource shift" which is not frequent in the game.
      resource shift: pay resources of all types to get more of one type(e.g. local industry pays supplies and components get the specified resource ).

so annexation is good for build tat utilizes one resources extensively.

The hardest part for me here is electronics it costs tremendous amount of electronics but still doubling the production of a rare city is great.
      building lvl5arms industry in captured city will give 25% * 50% =12.5% increase ! half of the annexation.
      note that u should combine it with bunkers to raise the target morale being decently low in conquered cities.
    • Valid Questions indeed @Stratieon

1) we initially played around quite a bit with Annexation pricing - until we ended up where we are now. It all boils down to as Abdul put it correctly: resource shift. If you need X really really badly you will basically pay almost any Y price for it - and potentially also have enough Y. It's balanced so that the X resource you also are forced to pay - albeit needing it urgently - will usually have amortized in about 10+ days (depending on the morale, buildings etc)
      2) Besides the obvious resources the most important reason for annexation is a strategical one: Many players annex a few key towns to be able to have more mobilization bases - which makes complete sense once you are forced to split your "empire" (maybe you are separated by an ocean, other nations etc)

Hope it explains it a bit better.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

The post was edited 1 time, last by Germanico ().

• I'm not sure that Annexation is intended to catapult resource production to game-changing levels. I think it is intentionally set up to provide a moderate boost (compared to not Annexing) as a secondary effect. In my mind, the primary purpose for Annexation is the ability to mobilize units in an additional location. After all, there are other options for boosting resource production (by taking over cities and building Arms Industries without Annexing, by taking over resource producing provinces and building/upgrading Local Industries in them, etc.), but there are no other options for creating additional mobilization locations.

That being said, I'll give you my opinion on your questions:

1. I think that's probably a matter of opinion, but I don't necessarily think so. For instance, I think the ability for previously landlocked nation to begin producing ships in a captured harbor is a huge shift in that nation's capabilities and is therefore quite valuable. Similarly, the ability to mobilize units on the other side of the globe instead of constantly having to fly/ship them could be huge. Therefore, I don't necessarily think that the price of Annexing should be less or that the value (I assume you meant resource production value) should be increased.

2. I think I probably answered this above.
    • A solution to this that I've been thinking about is to have the Annexation price go down over time based on length of time you've occupied that city, the morale in the city, the population in the city, and your investment in building within the city.

I don't know what the equation for it would look like, but it makes sense that a city you've been in for a while, where the occupied populace is happy, and where you are investing in it would be cheaper to annex than a city you just took.

A model like this would be balanced I think because you would be incentivized to spend resources in the city before you can ever produce any units there. So, you would either need to park troops there to protect that investment, or leave it undefended while you continue to put resources into it thereby leaving a high value and easy target for your enemies.

A solution to this that I've been thinking about is to have the Annexation price go down over time based on length of time you've occupied that city, the morale in the city, the population in the city, and your investment in building within the city.

I don't know what the equation for it would look like, but it makes sense that a city you've been in for a while, where the occupied populace is happy, and where you are investing in it would be cheaper to annex than a city you just took.

A model like this would be balanced I think because you would be incentivized to spend resources in the city before you can ever produce any units there. So, you would either need to park troops there to protect that investment, or leave it undefended while you continue to put resources into it thereby leaving a high value and easy target for your enemies.
      this is advantage for countries starting with ai neighbors as they capture them day 1
    • Annexation is not about reducing prices over time - but about understanding amortization over time. The earlier you annex for resources, the longer you will benefit from it.

This said, there are no plans to change annexation. Been there, done that.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • also benefit is once get cracking on resources can build more units at once... in mid late ww3 games usually have more resources than can spend so will annex than be able to build additional units. but early on personally dont think the juice is worth the squeeze till I have extra resources.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Personally I think that practically annexation is not needed at all in most cases. Better to invest in another tool of destruction ( to get few more cities and resources by that ) If more production is needed - master recruit offices. If you have tons of wasting resources - master bunkers, they will enhance morale ( and boost resource generation ) or hospitals (bigger population, bigger income) Also, I think that If I have too much resources, excluding fuel, I did something wrong, like bad unit balance, slow research, too static behavior etc.
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

• I like Annexation OK the way it is, though I would like to see one change:

There should be a second tier Annexation for some countries - "Homeland Conformation" to allow countries with less than 7 Homeland cities to have 7 Homeland cities.

Thus once Annexed, it could be "Annexed Again" and turn it into a Homeland city. Though this would still put countries starting with less than 7 Homeland cities initially would still be at a disadvantage, they needn't remain so. I think this would balance the game further, and encourage more people to join a game after all the 7 city countries were taken.

I'll put this in Suggestions.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Annexation is a great feature to have more resources and produce more army,I love to annex cities with electronics and sometimes components.The only problem with annexation is that its status will never return to "annexed" when enemy captured it even if you take it back.This is the reason I never annex coastal cities and wait to have cities with electronics away from sea.If a new feature is added to retain the annexed staus then I will annex 1 city every other day.
      I am the best player of this game that was and ever will be
    • GoldenGuy wrote:

Annexation is a great feature to have more resources and produce more army,I love to annex cities with electronics and sometimes components.The only problem with annexation is that its status will never return to "annexed" when enemy captured it even if you take it back.This is the reason I never annex coastal cities and wait to have cities with electronics away from sea.If a new feature is added to retain the annexed staus then I will annex 1 city every other day.
      usually I annex capitals having mist population especially rare capitals very strong like cupa. taking capital usually means he lost