Combat Report - Calculation

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Combat Report - Calculation

Hi,

I am quite fresh but got some rounds on going.

I still didn´t understood how the combat works.

I understood the general systems :
      Round 1
      A attacks B with offensive stats
      B attack A with defensive stats etc.

But can´t comprehend how the damage is splitted when attacking with stacks.

When I attack with f.e. two different units, let´s say an infantery and a recon tank.
      Would mean I got

INF
      3,0 Soft attack
      2,0 Hard attack

Recon
      4,5 Soft
      1,5 Hard

Total
      7,5 soft
      3,5 hard

Let´s say the defender has the same units

Hitpoints
      Inf 15
      Recon 17
      Total 32

Do I understand it right, that after the first attack ( ignoring all terrain, fortify modifiers for this example)
      The Inf would have 15 - 7,5 = 7,5 HP left
      and the Recon would have 17- 3,5 = 13,5 left ?

2)

And what happens if there are :

2 Infantery and 1 Recon defending ?

would the 7,5 Soft attack be splitted on both Infs, so they recieve each 7,5/2 = 3,7 damage
      OR would both recieve each 7,5 ???

Thanks for your help !!!
    • In my experience, units with higher score in soft target are more likely to damage soft targets than hard targets.

Are you talking about 2 motorized Inf or 1 motorized and 1 mechanized inf?

2 motorized don't get individual damage, the damage gets applied on the whole pile of infantry.

2 motorized Infantry in one stack of 3 units make it more likely, that infantries get more damage.

Also some units are more likely to get damage than others, if you have ASF and Naval ASF in one stack, Naval ASF will get damaged more for example.

How ever your damage calculation is of:

Your stack does not do 7,5 soft + 3,5 hard damage but 7,5 soft / 3,5 hard damage, if the more % of the damage gets applied to the soft target, less % of the damage gets applied to the hard target.

So your stack does 3,5 to 7,5 as basis, but this basis will also be modified by a random modifier, called X factor.

P. S.: Yes, it's is quite complicated with a lot of factors.
    • Some units seem to absorb more damage then others so not exact science. but in general if hitting a mixed stack and you have a mix stack add up all soft and hard HP off then pick midpoint and same for him.

After awhile you get the feel but remember first few games i was filling up pages of calculations ;) to further complicate things you will have to factor in both you and enemies / defense/offense boosts; entrenchment bonus (ie - entrenched gets 25 pct less damage) and also terrain (ie some units get boost some penalties based on open ground vs mtns; desert; city etc.) But morale of story attack with twice what you think you need and more if you have it ;)

Now I try like hell to not get into stack v stack. once you go striker fighter no worries as long avoid Air supp fighters or Anti air units. With modern weapons there is a reason we havnt seen extended ground operation battles since probably Korea war. If i have air superiority I do most of my "ground" work with planes and just finish them off with ground troops. (think desert shield / desert storm)
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Pale Rider ().

• No unit soaks up 'all the damage', some just are more likely to receive more damage like other

We once test it with combining bombers, strikers, naval strikers, attack helicopter and gunship, the results where about this if I remember correctly:

gunship > attack chopper >> naval striker > striker > bombers

so we deemed the setup not worthy
    • that's a really nice way to test. put 1 of each unit

Kalrakh wrote:

No unit soaks up 'all the damage', some just are more likely to receive more damage like other

We once test it with combining bombers, strikers, naval strikers, attack helicopter and gunship, the results where about this if I remember correctly:

gunship > attack chopper >> naval striker > striker > bombers

so we deemed the setup not worthy
      note the damage taken and make the ratios. An yes no unit soaks all the damage but some soak a lot of it. towered from infantry and asfs from sfs/ captin.
    • i was trying to research this myself and trying to figure out what it means by hard and soft targets

so what are hard and soft damage/targets

and is it best just to go by the estimated strength for attack and defense or did someone do some calculations and post it somewhere as a good guide to what can be most effective once you know what you are dealing with from the enemy?
    • dfrost wrote:

i was trying to research this myself and trying to figure out what it means by hard and soft targets

and is it best just to go by the estimated strength for attack and defense or did someone do some calculations and post it somewhere as a good guide to what can be most effective once you know what you are dealing with from the enemy?
      Just think of hard and soft units as merely two different types of units, like A units and B units. There are loose connections to real units' characteristics that make is easier for you and me to play.

Each ground unit is a hard or soft unit (an A or a B unit). In general each ground unit's ability to interact with an A is different from its ability to interact with a B. When you look at the unit descriptions you can see those differences.

It's really that simple. What takes a little more time to wrap your head around is both remembering all the differences, and remembering when and how to make the differences work to your advantage.
    • dfrost wrote:

i was trying to research this myself and trying to figure out what it means by hard and soft targets

Basically human based units (inf) are soft versus machine based units (armor; support; etc.) are hard. think of it a gunship chopper basically mowing down inf with a 50 cal but ineffective against a tank and a attack chopper is firing missiles at armor but overkill hit/miss against infantry.

Same thing if get to missiles. A cruise missile does more damage to a hard target than a soft, so if a big mixed stack coming Ill hit with a few (Edit: Conv ) Cruise miss first to weaken hard armor than strike with planes to hit soft inf

highlight unit in question; hover over the little lightning bolt icon below unit strength on unit card. this pops up a window that tells you exactly what stack will do against which type of units. Think played a year before found this as would be estimating weighted fire power or calc on paper.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Pale Rider ().

• dfrost wrote:

hard soft.jpg
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

dfrost wrote:

Basically human based units (inf) are soft versus machine based units (armor; support; etc.) are hard. think of it a gunship chopper basically mowing down inf with a 50 cal but ineffective against a tank and a attack chopper is firing missiles at armor but overkill hit/miss against infantry.
      Same thing if get to missiles. A cruise missile does more damage to a hard target than a soft, so if a big mixed stack coming Ill hit with a few Cruise miss first to weaken hard armor than strike with planes to hit soft inf

highlight unit in question; hover over the little lightning bolt icon below unit strength on unit card. this pops up a window that tells you exactly what stack will do against which type of units. Think played a year before found this as would be estimating weighted fire power or calc on paper.
      That is missleading:
      - a CONVENTIONAL cruise missile does more damage to hard units then soft units
      - a CHEMICAL cruise missile does it the other way around
      - a NUCLEAR cruise missile fucks everything equally
    • bobqz wrote:

I have overused missiles and it really messed up morale for me. I am more selective now. Is it chem and nuke that mess with your morale ?
      its civilian deaths. chem and nuke way ...way...way more than Conv

• I really enjoyed the "H" out of using them....but I used so many chems that it cost me in fuel and then coupled with units use I could not even build an airfield. I mean really an airfield. I then started upgrading cities that produce fuel but it was kind of too late. Our coalition did not exactly win but the other coalition did not either. One of them jumped ship and won solo. I don't blame him , I would have too.
      "Retreat hell! We're not retreating ..we're just advancing in a different direction." General Oliver Smith USMC