Countries that are kind of hard to play as

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Countries that are kind of hard to play as

*i have no idea how things work here so if i do something wrong dont get mad please* Okay great so this is a mediocre at best player and their thoughts on which countries are hard to play. Please do add your thoughts i appreciate anything thats relevant
      Okay list is not in any order btw sorry if you dont like the format.

1:North/South Korea. 4 cities and nobody is your friend. You're probably going to die unless you ally with north Korea in which case you'll probably still die. Fun.

2:New Zealand. You're in the middle of nowhere and if Australia doesn't ally with you... You're gonna have to pull off some good manuvers. Usually you just die. If you ally with australia tho you'll probably live but the nearest targets are more or less just frustratingly far

3:Austria. Stuck right between Italy and Germany... you're probably going to die. The terrain might prolong the suffering tho considering its mostly hills

4:Norway. Your targets are.. limited. If you choose to go to war with Sweden and/or Finland its going to be quite frustrating, considering how much you have to defend. If you can ally with them tho you still have limited targets. You could go west to England or south to france/germany andd... yeah. Get the idea?

5: DR congo. The capital is sitting between angola and cameroon. If you dont ally with them you're probably going to have to buff up the capital and expect to be invaded. Also cabinda is probably going to get taken by everyone else so good luck.

6:Chile. You're probably wanted by boliva and argentina for that coastline. Considering how thin stretched your country and the fact that 60-80% of the country is hills you're gonna have a hard time to move troops to the front. Have fun.

7:Canada. The thing is canada usually gets targeted and fucked over by the US. Usually. If you can take down the US you have a good shot at winning

8: Any country that ends in -stan. Its landlocked and the terrain is horrible, besides you're stuck between a bunch of other countries.

9:Poland: Stuck between germany, belarus and sharing naval borders with sweden, plus being the center of europe makes you the prime expansion target. Usually you get split by everyone else.

Please tell me your thoughts this is all from a semi noob's perspective.
    • In future, please post these sort of threads in the General Discussion subforum: this thread is for reporting bug reports and issues.

Now I’ll talk about what you say.

1. North Korea. Don’t judge what I say I’m not the dev team but I think what you’re supposed to do is immediately conquer South Korea. Then you’ll get more cities. It’s still pretty hard to play what with Russia and China sitting on your borders, but I’ve seen North Korea win before.

2. New Zealand. As said, New Zealand is generally for players who like a slow start. NZ is frankly one of my favourite countries, since it’s so far away nobody attacks it except maybe Australia, so general strategy is ally with Australia and conquer the world together :D

3 to 6, 8 to 9 never played those so I’ll not comment.

7. Canada. Generally you actually stand a good chance to win if US is a noob. However, it’s better to ally with US and take over. The power and industrial advantage of the US is better in your side :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by 737373elj ().

• I'm... going to reserve my opinions on the specific countries. However, I will say this in response:

Some countries are just objectively more challenging to play than others. That's just true, no matter what someone like me tries to tell you. That being said, sometimes what can make a country seem challenging/difficult to a particular player is related to playstyle, and, since we don't all have similar playstyles, a country that seems very difficult to one person may not seem as diffcult to another. There's something positive to be taken from this, though. If you find a particular nation too difficult to play, ask yourself what about it you found so challenging. The more you do this, the more you'll get a feel for your own likes/dislikes and playstyle. Once you have a good grasp on that, you can either work on those parts of your game you believe to be weak, or you can set yourself up for a better chance at success by selecting nations that suit you well.
    • EPICNOOB2.0 wrote:

2:New Zealand. You're in the middle of nowhere and if Australia doesn't ally with you... You're gonna have to pull off some good manuvers. Usually you just die. If you ally with australia tho you'll probably live but the nearest targets are more or less just frustratingly far
      Don't you dare talk shit about my NZ ! :D
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • There is often (not always; settle down, contrarians) a certain level of default "safety in obscurity" that comes with NZ's position. Sometimes Australia will try to go ape on you right out of the gate, but not as often as it happens with some other geographical pairings. When you do get ignored it allows you some time to cobble together a sweet expeditionary force to send out to do some much-needed conquering. Also, I mean,... Fiji, so... that's fun.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

I'm... going to reserve my opinions on the specific countries. However, I will say this in response:

Some countries are just objectively more challenging to play than others. That's just true, no matter what someone like me tries to tell you. That being said, sometimes what can make a country seem challenging/difficult to a particular player is related to playstyle, and, since we don't all have similar playstyles, a country that seems very difficult to one person may not seem as diffcult to another. There's something positive to be taken from this, though. If you find a particular nation too difficult to play, ask yourself what about it you found so challenging. The more you do this, the more you'll get a feel for your own likes/dislikes and playstyle. Once you have a good grasp on that, you can either work on those parts of your game you believe to be weak, or you can set yourself up for a better chance at success by selecting nations that suit you well.
      this is surprisingly true
    • Good thread idea; here are my thoughts.

1:North/South Korea. "4 cities and nobody is your friend. You're probably going to die unless you ally with north Korea in which case you'll probably still die. Fun." I've played this once, and I have to say I agree with this. Korea is terribly positioned in this game, and I would say its not very fun to play even if you ally because there is nowhere to go besides China and Japan. If they don't ally with you, you're dead. If they do, you have to sail or fly your units into any combat, which probably won't make your VP rise too much.

2:New Zealand. "You're in the middle of nowhere and if Australia doesn't ally with you... You're gonna have to pull off some good manuvers. Usually you just die. If you ally with australia tho you'll probably live but the nearest targets are more or less just frustratingly far." Like Teburu said, NZ is actually quite good for its safety in obscurity. The secret to defeating Australia with NZ is largely in force concentrations; you can concentrate all your five cities onto the capital and city hop the coastline while dispatching units inland, of course blockading either your ports, Australia's, or both. Since NZ is a slow start country, it depends on whether or not you want targets close or far for whether or not you want to play it. Here, it's much better than the Koreas since you can more comfortably carve out a territory zone for yourself.

3:Austria. "Stuck right between Italy and Germany... you're probably going to die. The terrain might prolong the suffering tho considering its mostly hills." Somewhat. Again, coalitions are a key part of the game. Italy and Germany are both in the West of Austria, and its size makes it relatively easy to defend. One of my most successful games was with Austria. I was invaded by Italy before I started, allied with Germany, and conquered all of Italy while assisting with invasions of Spain and then a belligerent Poland.

4:Norway. "Your targets are.. limited. If you choose to go to war with Sweden and/or Finland its going to be quite frustrating, considering how much you have to defend. If you can ally with them tho you still have limited targets. You could go west to England or south to france/germany andd... yeah. Get the idea?" Limited targets is actually often a good thing, and I can't say Norway has badly limited targets. In fact, it has a decent amount of places it can go once allied with another Scandinavian nation that won't be easily able to prepare for an attack from that direction, while Norway is an out-of-place target for a European nation stuck in the melee there. Landings in UK, securing of the West, and expansion into Europe is the way with nation.

5: DR congo. "The capital is sitting between angola and cameroon. If you dont ally with them you're probably going to have to buff up the capital and expect to be invaded. Also cabinda is probably going to get taken by everyone else so good luck." I haven't played or studied this nation much, so I'm going to mostly reserve comment on it. However, it does seem to essentially be the Poland of Africa in some respects. Nonetheless, a coalition can do much to reduce the directions of warfare necessary, and as is the case with Poland,a strong initial defense will do much for survivability.

6:Chile. "You're probably wanted by boliva and argentina for that coastline. Considering how thin stretched your country and the fact that 60-80% of the country is hills you're gonna have a hard time to move troops to the front. Have fun." I've played this one before. It was relatively boring to me, although I allied with Bolivia and took out Argentina. Again, mostly a diplomacy situation. If you have Bolivia and Argentina with you... Bolivia would be the more dangerous neighboring nation, since they can easily concentrate power against the thin strip of land that is Chile. Argentina actually isn't in a superb position to attack Chile, since they have Northern neighbors and there is a mountain buffer between the two nations. Chilean strike fighters would make an attack challenging at best.

7:Canada. "The thing is canada usually gets targeted and fucked over by the US. Usually. If you can take down the US you have a good shot at winning." Again here, as has been said, diplomacy with the US and the fact that it is often played by newer players makes it relatively easy to ally with or take over most of the time. Canada is actually in an excellent position to fight the US since it can't be easily backdoored while fighting like the US. Attack helicopters, ASFs, and AFVs will be a strong counter to an early invasion.

8: "Any country that ends in -stan. Its landlocked and the terrain is horrible, besides you're stuck between a bunch of other countries." I haven't had any firsthand experience with any of these countries, but I have seen many successful Kazakhstans take out Russia; again, a strong early defense utilizing terrain features is of extreme utility.

9:Poland: "Stuck between germany, belarus and sharing naval borders with sweden, plus being the center of europe makes you the prime expansion target. Usually you get split by everyone else." Actually not too bad if you join the usual European coalition. In my playthrough of this nation, I allied with Germany and helped invade Austria and captured some Balkan nations, but the coalition split after that and I got bored by the diplomatic stagnation.

Conclusion: Early defense and diplomacy are the keys to success with most of these nations.
    • Ah. I forgot that kazakstan existed, i meant more of afgan/pakistan. Pakistan is nice in rising tides because of the somewhat uncontested victory site, but otherwhise its a meh.
      I Like to rush ppl which is kinda stupid in retrospect but its fun. Countries like germany that are condensed are a lot more comfortable because if the attack goes wrong you can rush back and hold the border.Imma try austria tho it sounds good to play as
    • EPICNOOB2.0 wrote:

I Like to rush ppl which is kinda stupid in retrospect but its fun.
      Okay, so there you go. That's kind of what I was saying in my reply to this: It sounds like you've already identified an element of your playstyle. Some nations lend themselve to a rush, and some do not. So, knowing that's true and knowing that you're naturally inclined to rush, you can go into any game deciding either to choose a country that fits that playstyle or deciding deciding to choose one that doesn't and trying to play a little differently than you normally would.
    • What I recommend for rushier playstyles are countries that have secure rear lines enabling a continuous advance; i.e. countries with their "back to the wall" so to speak. This ensures the protection of the homeland while enabling aggression without fear of circuitous retribution. In this case, the best defense is a good offense. Austria is definitely excellent for this once in an alliance due to its strategic positioning.
    • Stratieon wrote:

What I recommend for rushier playstyles are countries that have secure rear lines enabling a continuous advance; i.e. countries with their "back to the wall" so to speak. This ensures the protection of the homeland while enabling aggression without fear of circuitous retribution. In this case, the best defense is a good offense. Austria is definitely excellent for this once in an alliance due to its strategic positioning.
      Back to the wall strategy is what I employ... I want to push in one direction or really an outgoig arc and will willingingly start with smaller countries to apply this. By day 7 hve made up enough occupied space to be up with top economies

Flashpoint / Med / B & Oil maps: corner map countries are great for this and usually most successful. World maps no corners but choose terrain (mtns our water) to provide natural defense or deterrents that no one going to come that way for awhile. If sandwiched between two threats make ally with 1 and thats your back against the wall till someone threatens them and you both work out from the common backs against the wall.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Indeed; lik

Buckeyechamp wrote:

Stratieon wrote:

What I recommend for rushier playstyles are countries that have secure rear lines enabling a continuous advance; i.e. countries with their "back to the wall" so to speak. This ensures the protection of the homeland while enabling aggression without fear of circuitous retribution. In this case, the best defense is a good offense. Austria is definitely excellent for this once in an alliance due to its strategic positioning.
      Back to the wall strategy is what I employ... I want to push in one direction or really an outgoig arc and will willingingly start with smaller countries to apply this. By day 7 hve made up enough occupied space to be up with top economies
      Flashpoint / Med / B & Oil maps: corner map countries are great for this and usually most successful. World maps no corners but choose terrain (mtns our water) to provide natural defense or deterrents that no one going to come that way for awhile. If sandwiched between two threats make ally with 1 and thats your back against the wall till someone threatens them and you both work out from the common backs against the wall.

Buckeyechamp wrote:

Likewise; I find this to be extremely successful. A similarly strong wall can also be erected out of defensive terrain, troops, bunkers, and combat outposts.