NIl's No-Frills Drills

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• PerigeeNil wrote:

Ahhh, see, for me, no SC makes a huge difference. I absolutely adore build/mobilization queuing and fire control. Random nation selection is not far from what I was already doing by purposely choosing challenging/unpopular countries to play. So, we're kind of opposites there. If you do it, I'll be interested to hear how your experience differs. So far, my restrictions have not hampered my in-game success much, but I'm still in the "early game" stages, and I'm an "early game" player by nature. I'm wondering if having to adapt to a random nation will cause you to be uncomfortable with your early game.

Also, in the first two randoms I started, I got Germany (Flashpoint) and Turkey (WWIII), two relatively strong nations. This may have allowed me a more positive attitude going into the Nigeria game.
      Indeed. I always attempt to secure the best advantage possible for myself in my games to maximize enjoyment and success while minimizing cost. Therefore, I may wait until I tried almost all the "good" nations before moving to a "bad" one since I tend to go for being able to start my attack early with secure rearward lines of communication and maintain the momentum throughout the game. I would categorize myself as a "middle game" player; I don't like having to build up forces in the early game and fight with limited available units, and I don't like having to fight with nukes flying everywhere. I'm already "uncomfortable" with early game, so doing random shouldn't be too discomfiting in that regard as much as in its limitation of initial offensive action to ensure the preservation of momentum once it is gained for nations with more precarious geographic locations. Having strong early games with advantageous nations in the experiment is definitely a morale boost going into a more challenging nation.

However, that said, I am doing something similar with some alliance mates in a Flashpoint that was initially full. Of course, Flashpoints go inactive quite rapidly, so after sorting out the majority of my previous game, I decided to join and, after analyzing the strategic landscape, decided to enter as Iran. When I did, I found that the nation was at war with Russia and Armenia, had troops in Turkey, and, due to the computer takeover, was also constructing arms industries in all cities with a fairly large quantity of resources and several units still available. This actually put me in a relatively strong position with my rearward LOCs already secured and only two fronts to protect, with one being significantly higher priority, so we'll see where that goes. I may make a thread or doc to record how that goes, so we shall see how successful that experiment is. Wish me luck!
    • The initial results are in! I started 5 of these games, and the second one I started just finished (because it was a new account, the first game was s regular speed Flashpoint that's still ongoing).

As a reminder for those who don't want to scroll back, I made a new account to see how I could perform if I only used nations randomly selected by the computer, no gold at all (not even starting or earned gold), no Security Council, no seasonal units, and no officers.

In this first randomized 4x speed game, the computer gave me Turkey.
      Files

The post was edited 1 time, last by PerigeeNil ().

• PerigeeNil wrote:

Yeah, 4x is not forgiving of extended absences. An absence of just 12 hours is two game days gone. If you happened to be unable to get to your computer for two full days because of travel, illness, emergency, etc., that's almost 20% of a game sometimes, in addition to all the days you lose during your regular schedule.
      this may be the answer to your offline problem ;)
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • I like the 4x for flow and like some have mentioned but find I end up disrupting sleep to check on things.. Time to make the donuts after 4 hrs sleep to get new research / build/mobs going
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

• then biggest thing going from a 4x game then normal it does seem like moving is slow motion till get back into normal pace. but skill /strategy agree 1 x better off .. its just damn im going to be playing this world game for 2 months real time.

• Interesting. See, I was forced into a regular time game when I started the new account, and I've been thinking "Wow, this is MINDLESS!" because I feel like I can't string two actions together into a plan. I want to launch an attack at X, and then launch an attack at Y once the enemy units have started moving toward X. ...I check in 4 hours later... and my units have ALMOST made it to the next province... only 1.8 more DAYS until they get to destination X. ... ... so,... guess I'll mark that on my calendar?

Seriously, how do you guys work timing in those games? I can be available for the next 45 minutes to get something done, but I might have something going on 2.5 hours from now.

And what about active things like dog fights and combining missile launches with bomber strikes? Do you just sit there and watch your screens for hours at a time while your units slowly inch across?

You guys mentioned that you think real time takes more skill. Why do you think that? That's not an argument; it's an honest question. I could see saying that 4x does because you have to think and act faster, but what about real time do you think requires MORE skill than 4X?

For the record, I'm currently comfortably in first in my 1x game too (pic below). Yes it's Flashpoint, and yes I'm Germany, but I didn't choose either of those two things (and I'm playing without any of the other perks), and that's the only 1x I'm currently playing.
      Files

• PerigeeNil wrote:

Interesting. See, I was forced into a regular time game when I started the new account, and I've been thinking "Wow, this is MINDLESS!" because I feel like I can't string two actions together into a plan. I want to launch an attack at X, and then launch an attack at Y once the enemy units have started moving toward X. ...I check in 4 hours later... and my units have ALMOST made it to the next province... only 1.8 more DAYS until they get to destination X. ... ... so,... guess I'll mark that on my calendar?

Seriously, how do you guys work timing in those games? I can be available for the next 45 minutes to get something done, but I might have something going on 2.5 hours from now.

And what about active things like dog fights and combining missile launches with bomber strikes? Do you just sit there and watch your screens for hours at a time while your units slowly inch across?

You guys mentioned that you think real time takes more skill. Why do you think that? That's not an argument; it's an honest question. I could see saying that 4x does because you have to think and act faster, but what about real time do you think requires MORE skill than 4X?

For the record, I'm currently comfortably in first in my 1x game too (pic below). Yes it's Flashpoint, and yes I'm Germany, but I didn't choose either of those two things (and I'm playing without any of the other perks), and that's the only 1x I'm currently playing.
      do it like me: my only plan consists of : country x is next, what do i have to expect? :D
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Big Geek wrote:

Interestingly, someone is allowed to have a second account, while someone is forbidden.
      Yes, what 737373elj said. You're more than welcome to own more than one account. You just can't use someone else's account or operate two accounts in coordination with each other (i.e. in the same game).

As documented by this thread, I started this second account (and openly posted about it) specifically to put myself at a disadvantage in some games. Clearly, I'm not trying to use the second account to benefit my first account. So, yeah, it's a little different than the dual-account/two-boxing activities for which people are being banned.

• PerigeeNil wrote:

Big Geek wrote:

Interestingly, someone is allowed to have a second account, while someone is forbidden.
      Yes, what 737373elj said. You're more than welcome to own more than one account. You just can't use someone else's account or operate two accounts in coordination with each other (i.e. in the same game).
      As documented by this thread, I started this second account (and openly posted about it) specifically to put myself at a disadvantage in some games. Clearly, I'm not trying to use the second account to benefit my first account. So, yeah, it's a little different than the dual-account/two-boxing activities for which people are being banned.
      For some reason I was banned for using other accounts, I did not participate in some games. And in the future, Yak banned the use of second accounts.
    • Big Geek wrote:

For some reason I was banned for using other accounts, I did not participate in some games. And in the future, Yak banned the use of second accounts.
      So you're currently banned from the game? Were you banned from using someone else's account? Were you banned because someone else was using your account? I don't know the details of your banning, so I can't tell you what the difference was, but I can tell you what the policy is: Any player may create and use as many accounts as they like, as long as those accounts are not found to be shared or used in coordination with each other (i.e. the same game).