Mobile artillery or multiple rocket launcher

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I make good use of the art unit if get free .. never really build any but they are useful to ding at insurgents or AI for most part early in game. Not enough fire power to do much later on against real troops. Mult rock Launch can be a good offensive weapon due to range and pop but costs a lot. well just looked only Army base lvl 4 vs 3 but MRL is all suplies instead of supplies and components. so MRL looks like better deal only take an extra day to build that base. might give it a try next game; last game played dude had a 9 stack of the MRL and caused me some issues for a bit.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Short answer: It depends.

Long answer: It depends on the exact situation you're in and your doctrine. I generally advocate mrls, but mob arty is actually pretty good too at times. Generally, MRLS is great to level stacks from a distance or knock off a significant part of their health, regardless of unit composition. Later in the game, mob arty is really good at destroying armor from a decent distance, but can't do much against infantry. Of course, there is also mobile's extremely high hp. Essentially, it depends on where you want to stack your units. MRLS is the consummation of the artillery concept; it engages from extremely long range and does heavy damage to everything. Mobile artillery is tank+artillery. This is useful for solid action closer to the front, but devastates armor. I tend to utilize MRLS, but I may later try some more mobile artillery, especially against armor-heavy opponents.
    • Artillery is one of the strongest units, strikers are pretty much neutralized if you meet a smart enemie with good anti-air in is army.

MA can take quite a beating and can be produced earlier, but has shorter range, but rocket launchers take higher army base so it takes more investment to produce them, but they have bigger range and learn air transport much ealier.
    • Short answer: it depends, but mostly yes.

Long answer: it depends on your exact situation; like I said above, artillery’s utility is largely in its ability to destroy units outside of their engagement range without incurring any damage. This is a useful capability to have, as is shown by the Imperial Roman infantry being equipped with both close combat weaponry and pilum to throw at the enemy from range. If you consider the long range of, say, the MRLS, it does as much damage as infantry when both are at max level and can do that damage at much longer range. Evaluating their relative utility and viability in a stack, one maxed MRLS can do about 1-3 attacks before the enemy comes in range. The infantry can do one while in range. Considering them in otherwise homogenous stacks, on engaging, the MRLS and infantry trade evenly, but the MRLS-equipped stack has an advantage over the infantry stack in power and hp from the previous indirect fire and is therefore superior, marginally getting the better of the hypothetical engagement. Therefore, artillery is definitely good in a unique combat role, permitting the flexible application of combat power and enhancing operational freedom of action.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Though a smart artillery player will not let you get in range from the start, but will keep retreating and harrassing you from afar.
      thats what i do with my artillary but usually just the freebee get early in game and usually mage to keep most of game and rack up 10 - 15 kills (mostly AI). or just ding enemy locked down battle. not going to win on its own but hey and extra 3.5 hit per hr can swing a battle over a few hrs. cant hurt thats for sure.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Though a smart artillery player will not let you get in range from the start, but will keep retreating and harrassing you from afar.
      Of course; if possible, it will definitely be done. It's essentially the concept of kiting. However, it's not always possible for someone to be able to be online the entire time to kite. If they can't, they still have that advantage.

Buckeyechamp wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

thats what i do with my artillary but usually just the freebee get early in game and usually mage to keep most of game and rack up 10 - 15 kills (mostly AI). or just ding enemy locked down battle. not going to win on its own but hey and extra 3.5 hit per hr can swing a battle over a few hrs. cant hurt thats for sure.
      Indeed; it's especially useful for those situations to win without loosing a unit. It's basically like winning without fighting a battle. Especially when operating an upgraded MRLS, that 7 hp per shot is knocking out one maxed mot inf's worth of hp every four hours. in a protracted engagement, that's deadly, and having artillery is always useful particularly because of the freedom of action and operational options it affords.