Tell Me About Alliances, Please

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tell Me About Alliances, Please

I don't alliance. I haven't previously, and I definitely won't now. I SHOULD probably know about them, though. So,... what's the deal? How does an Alliance game work?

My guess is that two Alliances agree to a match, one person sets it up, everyone else joins,... I guess a map is probably chosen, and then some parameters for the game? So what are the benefits. You don't have to play with random people, obviously, but why do you like that? What else? Talk to me about Alliance play, please.
    • They agree on stuff like Map, amount of players, peace period etc beforehand like this for example: prntscr.com/r2k8v2

Well the good thing about challenges that they're
      1. actually competetive because you win/loose elo (unless you're PK; then you only gain elo :D)
      2. you play against other ppl who are also (more or less) coordinated
      3. planning is way more important than in publics
      4. the fighting is usually fairly fast; but also more intense then in publics
      5. its fun
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • looking forward to my first alliance match. hopefully get in lineup for match starting tommorow.

1. on med map 7 v 7 (not sure if countries preset on sides of map but hope get the south as need my ships and north more land based).
      2. 7 day peace period (which is going to hard for me and you vcant even attack AI countries; so need to adjust my start little and build based on conquest strategy... the big countries have a huge advantage in this 7 day period) - build up your stretgy/infrastructure/defenses/offesnses etc.
      3. Day 8 guess everyone comes out swinging with real armies built.
      4. No Gold

So it seems will need to coordinate builds with alliance members to make sure we have things covered. most likely ned to all pitch in to defend most likely/closest target country to enemies. By same token need to coordinate attack as if 1 person goes on a solo mission against a country supported by 3 or 4 allies will be a bloodbath
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

So it seems will need to coordinate builds with alliance members to make sure we have things covered. most likely ned to all pitch in to defend most likely/closest target country to enemies. By same token need to coordinate attack as if 1 person goes on a solo mission against a country supported by 3 or 4 allies will be a bloodbath
      as long as you dont build tanks you'll be fine :D
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • I dont think I have ever built a tank to be honest.

Tank destroyers (cheap fast builds) and AFV (good balance attack hard/soft and some air defense). main advantage of tanks is jacked up HP.. so throw in some NGs to take damage and sacrificial lambs ;( sorry NG guys .. I have more volunteers coming in 8 hrs.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Teburu wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

as long as you dont build tanks you'll be fine :D
      Tanks are pretty good, but only in specific circumstances. If most of your fighting is going to be attacking in the desert, definitely get tanks. However, from what I gather, at least from the PK stream, alliance games are mostly tons of mobile artillery and MRLS with some infantry, anti air, and radar sprinkled in, with the usual fighters, UAVs, helis, and AWACS in the air and frigate-cruiser-destroyer groups in the sea for the most part. #kiting
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

I dont think I have ever built a tank to be honest.

Tank destroyers (cheap fast builds) and AFV (good balance attack hard/soft and some air defense). main advantage of tanks is jacked up HP.. so throw in some NGs to take damage and sacrificial lambs ;( sorry NG guys .. I have more volunteers coming in 8 hrs.
      They’re actually quite good in publics on the tundra, in the desert, and on open ground, especially in Eastern doctrine. When I first started, checking stats the MBT looks hopelessly inferior, but in its primary terrain types it’s a beast. Tanks have both insanely high hp and high attack in their optimal terrain. At starting level, one tank has 3x hp of one ng, with much better base attack and defense. However, alliance games are very similar to ancient or napoleonic warfare. Skirmishers, here Infantry, out in front to draw fire, cannons in the rear to inflict heavy casualties, and infantry doubling as line infantry to directly engage and pin the enemy when necessary. In that sort of warfare, the merits of ngs and motorized are significantly increased, mirroring the increased levy efficacy of conscription and the draft. This is the only reason why ngs would ever be counted superior to tanks in any holistic evaluation: in alliance warfare, damage is not taken primarily in direct engagements. Instead, the screening force very literally fulfills the role of cannon fodder and barely gets a chance to engage, negating the significant advantage of tanks in direct action.

In conclusion, tanks are not favored by high level alliances for three primary reasons: it’s an alliance game, so it’s probably going to be on the Mediterranean server, which doesn’t have much tundra or open ground, cities are arguably one of the most important terrain types, where tanks don’t excel, and probably most importantly, indirect fire is highly favored over direct action in alliance games, thus negating the superlative capabilities of tanks in direct action on open terrain, which is fairly prominent in the South in the form of desert.
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

2. 7 day peace period (which is going to hard for me and you vcant even attack AI countries; so need to adjust my start little and build based on conquest strategy... the big countries have a huge advantage in this 7 day period) - build up your stretgy/infrastructure/defenses/offesnses etc.
      I do think on Meditheranium map 14 players all have same number of towns ,but different resourcess .