Large differences in Mobile Anti-Air and SAM Launcher terrain modifiers?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Large differences in Mobile Anti-Air and SAM Launcher terrain modifiers?

So I was looking at the mobile anti-air and SAM launcher for a game I was playing, and I noticed MAA had many more negative terrain modifiers than SAMs? I for one think the terrain modifiers between the two should be balanced. See the screenclips to compare yourself

Mobile anti-air
      MAA.PNG

Mobile SAM launcher
      SAM.PNG
      Fight for something, surrender to no one
    • Its worth to note that TDS also have the same modifiers as SAMS.
      So I'd argue the applied logic is: MAA engages low flying aircraft and is thus more impacted by terrain (helis using cover to hide etc) while SAMS and TDS are only able to effectivly combat high flying aircraft like missiles/fixed wing

tho thats just speculation and DEVs probably more of a real answer
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Germanico wrote:

SAMs are Surface to Air Missiles (they basically go up and towards the target) whereas the Mobile Anti Air Unit usually employs short range direct line of fire options - hence it is hindered by terrain.

Hope that explains it.
      Yes I can understand that for something like dense jungle or forest, but how do mountains and tundras drastically affect short range direct fire?
      Fight for something, surrender to no one
    • BearI91 wrote:

Germanico wrote:

SAMs are Surface to Air Missiles (they basically go up and towards the target) whereas the Mobile Anti Air Unit usually employs short range direct line of fire options - hence it is hindered by terrain.

Hope that explains it.
      Yes I can understand that for something like dense jungle or forest, but how do mountains and tundras drastically affect short range direct fire?
      I know i'm kinda late to reply, but here goes:

Everything that Germanico said is true.
      Though i'm not really sure about tundras, i think it might be the fact that the MAA's equipments and weapons might get frozen, but as i said, i'm not sure.
      What i can really tell you about is the mountain's modifier. When a unit (in this case the MAA) is in a mountainous terrain, it is presumed to be on a very high altitude. thus, the helis can avoid fire either by roaming close to the foot of the mountain as the MAA can't target downwards, or go around the mountain's back. Honestly, being unable shoot downwards is a more serious problem, and so eventually you have a decrease in attack.

I hope that helps.