Offline Defense

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• And just to avoid any confusion it's not JUST scenarios that weird. I may be Chad and have expanded outward in all directions, and while I'm eating dinner, Mali runs five NGs into one unoccupied territory each before I get back. Poof! 5 "territories lost".

I would much prefer that the stat was # of territories you ended all your games with rather than counting territories you lost temporarily while you were afk but then immediately gained back. Whatever, though. The current stat is what it is. I just can't figure out how people are maintaining ratios like that when there's so much of what I would consider "random loss" every time you step away from the screen.
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

why do you care what their prov ratio is? heck I could have a 30 to 1 ratio just taking auto countries but thats not going to win the game.
      Well, I don't care that much in real life. But, for conversation's sake, when we're talking about judging how good a player is, it was one of the stats mentioned. I wouldn't even know other people's ratios if they didn't mention them, because I don't really look at them in games, but people here on the Forums have been saying that they look at them to see how good a player is.

Let's say we're both trying to get into an alliance. Yours is 15:1 and mine is 10:1. Who are they going to think is better, if they are judging by that? You, obviously. Plus, I just always want to improve my game. So, if someone is losing less provinces than I am, I want to know how.
    • go by wins.. if no wins or low win pct than look at others. But at that point its all relative as those with low/zero wins not going to have great ratios. But if see a guy with at least a 2 to 1 prov ratio gives some indication he has ability for some success over a guy with < 1-1 ratio (those are your quitters). If above 5 or 6 to 1 can tell you know what doing then will be based more on your location. Im not going to grab some coalition guy that may help me 30 days from now across the world just because of a good ratio.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

naw you arenot getting it.. dont get tied into stats but winning games.. id the point
      Indeed. I don’t give a quark about my stats, provinces, rank, level - just wins, skills, and actual achievements in area and such as complexity of successful operations and wins. Stats don’t mean anything; all ranks are for is officers and elite alliance matches. True skill however... that’s something.
    • Stratieon wrote:

It’s like chess: no good chess player is concerned with how many pieces they lost in each game, so long as they won. However, in CoN, people inflate these stats as if they share a causal relation to skill, while in reality the correlation is really of the weak relation.
      couldnt agree more .. crap i have a 12 out 14 win ratio now thinking i need to throw some games as everyone just thinks buying games And im too poor to buy games. regional maps spend nada... global maps a bit early (just because i like to start smaller strategic countries .. so basically even out some resources early with a $5 pack and it keeps platform up for my entertainment entrance fee) ... Apocalypse maps you almost have to spend more.. thats why dont play.. played one just to see .. spent like $10 - 15 but guarantee spent less than guy i beat.

But to strats point; which i think i originally brought up chess... is dont loose pieces no matter what .. 9 /10 i f i have more peices as game goes im going to wear you down.. even if i have to retreat (ie - lose prov).. regaining an empty prov costs you virtually nothing.. rebuilding chess peices lost in a battle not worth a crap to protect a square costs you resources and time. now we can rebuild peices... but i play like my pieces cant be replaced and when i build duplicate pieces instead of replacements.. now thats the end game,
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

• PerigeeNil wrote:

I honestly never payed much attention to stats either until we all started talking about how you determine a player's skill and some people started talking about stats. I was like, "Wow, I feel like I'm pretty successful, but I'm not sure I'm very strong in those stats they're talking about."
      stats are kinda pointless tho; e.g.: cakes stats dont really reflect his skill either :D
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

I honestly never payed much attention to stats either until we all started talking about how you determine a player's skill and some people started talking about stats. I was like, "Wow, I feel like I'm pretty successful, but I'm not sure I'm very strong in those stats they're talking about."
      you created the post i believe...lol. and my only pt was current system just recognizes # of games played really.

• Buckeyechamp wrote:

is dont loose pieces no matter what ... ... but i play like my pieces cant be replaced...
      I've been meaning to ask you about that. So what do you do? You ONLY attack when you have an overwhelming advantage in numbers/power?

I mean, I consider myself a "matchup guy", meaning that I try to use units that do the most damage to the other guy's units without mine taking any/much. BUT... I mean, I don't ALWAYS avoid going stack versus stack. Sometimes I have to put a stack of six infantry against my opponent's stack of three infantry. Now, there's a high probability that I'll win that battle, but I'll probably also lose at least one unit.
    • a couple things:

1. in air you have complete control (thus why have said huge strike force propoenent). and tuburear has said .. well if you strike x times with y stirke .. you will lose z planes... no i dont.... if I start with 5 stack x 7 hp = 35 hp whack... ok i may take a little or alot... but before i get to 80 pct of that stack. ill peel 1 out and send it to my jacked up regional hospital to heel 3x - 5x. so next strike then might only be 28 hp but i haven't lost squat. and some think (abdul said more 15 strike too much) but i do this with three stacks.... so im pounding troops with 3 separate stacks of 35 hp x 3...28 x 3... etc. if that 4 stack gets close to 75 pct then you peal off to 3 .. go heal still haven't lost a unit. ok rinse and repeat and i may have 15 beat up planes .. but you have zero troops left and after 10 hrs i have huge stack killed. End of day end up with the same 15 planes at my 4 HP hospital and ...boom .. .. back up to speed for next battle.

Same with navy .. can choose where you hit and if need to evade... but get in a big battle throw in some corvette sacrifficial lamsbs... they served purpose early to bock ports .. now will get smoked by big attack .. but help me from loosing friggs or officer (actually seems officer takes way less damage then a mix in a corvette).

ground only forces get locked in battle .. and a war of attrition (ie WW1 ) and stand off....modern war is air superiority with Navy backup (but primary is still aircraft carrier to deliver mobile airbases or provide support to control area..which btw Air carriers not worth in CON).

90 pct of my ground forces after day 10 just marching forward on territory cleared by air and sea power....but still have enough on ground to defend anticipated enemy ground forces.

• PerigeeNil wrote:

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but is no one playing defense in these games? Where's your opponents' AA/SAMs, Air Supes, etc.?
      Probably nonexistent tbh for a considerable number of opponents, although there’s are some capable players in public with AA. Out of those a considerable percentage thereof believe one SAM a is sufficient to defend a whole stack - late game. Not going to work. I am however, interested in the handling of the more capable opponents.
    • ok 1.. prior to being able to build airstrikes in mass.. I build air supp to provide poorman strike duties early. beat the crap out of them to ding units.. send them back to sit ou and heal. so if someone has airsupp i have that squad to check them in later game.. have never sen any one with vast air supp as defense only airstrike can defend and attack.

2. AA - mobile is a nuisance not a deterrent really .. ok you have 4.5 hp against my air.. im deliver 35 hp damage.. who wins that? really 3 lvl 4 inf will do more air damage than 1 AA. Sam you have twice hit but still need 4 to match my 5 strike. And if you had that serious of AA its past day 20 and what do I have.... Cruise missiles. so hover on edge .. maybe send a single air supp in to take AA hit.. themn while 10 min recoil bam .. slam 4 or 5 CMs into that AA / Armour (30 hp per CM) ...

• Buckeyechamp wrote:

ok 1.. prior to being able to build airstrikes in mass.. I build air supp to provide poorman strike duties early. beat the crap out of them to ding units.. send them back to sit ou and heal. so if someone has airsupp i have that squad to check them in later game.. have never sen any one with vast air supp as defense only airstrike can defend and attack.

2. AA - mobile is a nuisance not a deterrent really .. ok you have 4.5 hp against my air.. im deliver 35 hp damage.. who wins that? really 3 lvl 4 inf will do more air damage than 1 AA. Sam you have twice hit but still need 4 to match my 5 strike. And if you had that serious of AA its past day 20 and what do I have.... Cruise missiles. so hover on edge .. maybe send a single air supp in to take AA hit.. themn while 10 min recoil bam .. slam 4 or 5 CMs into that AA / Armour (30 hp per CM) ...
      1. This is true; I use this a lot with Western and somehow particularly Eastern; the latter of which I found quite interesting, I actually built up considerable quantities of air sup in Flashpoint, with eleven squadrons. The initial air sups checking enemies to sync with the strike attacks is an excellent idea.
      2. Yep. Reg AA guns and TDS are not great vs fighters. SAMs are actually pretty good though supporting fighters in an integrated air defense system, increasing the overall redundancy, resilience, and reactive power of the combination and thereby exponentially reducing enemy capacity for executing suppression of enemy air defenses. I almost never use missiles, but I’ve lately been considering utilizing CMs for their excellent stand-off range, critical for maintaining reusable asset survivability and strategic lifespan in a high threat level environment.
    • I'm just having a hard time envisioning the whole thing. How are you sending Air Supe vs Air Supe without losing units? I understand air superiority as a concept and a practice, but without ever losing any units? I just don't get it. There are mismatches and surprises and even matches. Maybe this is easier to manage in 1x? But I just don't understand how you have such an air advantage all the time that you never lose any units. No one ever attacks your air supe stack with their air supe stack?

Just now I had an air battle against an opponent in one of my games. I had ten air superiority planes in the air (two separate stacks in different locations, but both in close enough proximity to engage without landing), and they had five. They went after a stack of gunships I had in the area. I took out their whole stack, but I still lost one gunship and one fighter. So, I obviously had the numbers advantage, and there wasn't more than one attack per stack, so it didn't have anything to do with sending units back to hospitals in between attacks. It's just that units do damage to other units. I don't understand how you're always coming away without taking enough damage to lose a unit.

Sometimes I'm flying strikers in to attack ground targets and, off to the side somewhere, there's a stack of air supes I didn't know were patroling or a couple of SAMs hidden by the fog of war. So, by the time I get in and out on one run, I end up losing a striker. Not the entire stack, and not the whole battle, but a unit now and then, sure.
    • i know its silly to say these things in public.. but the only thing I ever ran into .. that kind of scared me was .... was attacking saudi and about had him smashed.... then his Allie came in 10 min before took out captal and airbase .. with 9 level 5 MRLS plus some inf and a SAM.. and .. like 10 air supp that would have whooped my strikes no doubt. that MRLS stack was like 75 hp hit or something crazy stupid. so I backed up to the shore and he followed me ... off cost I had 5 friggs (which he didnt know about). so he was backing me into the sea right..... (it was apocalypse .. but i had CM capability but didnt launch yet till the). let him get in range of my AA defense .. 5 friggs wre like 35 hp damage .. 1.5 planes ..maybe get 2 fires. then launched a few nuke cruise at his MRLS monster stack. after that we both retreated and became allies and friends in long term.. but that has been only stack i was like how the fuck am i going to beat that (nd i had decent ground stack but you cant withstand 75 hp per hr..lol). but this was in saudi and I was Australia.... he dint threaten me but definitely neutralized me in saudi .. then I just picked all saudi coastal cities till he gave up and used diplomacy to get him to pull out that stack and then allies took saudi ground

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Pale Rider ().